So are many of the anti-upper 1% Occupy Wall Streeter types… if you include the entire world in the equation:

In America, the top 1% earn more than $380,000 per year. In Australia, the top 3% of households earn more than $250,000 per week, according to the ABS. How much do you need to earn to be among the top 1% of the world? $34,000.

That was the finding World Bank economist Branko Milanovic presented in his 2010 book The Haves and the Have-Nots. Going down the distribution ladder may be just as surprising. To be in the top half of the globe, you need to earn just $1,225 a year. For the top 20%, it’s $5,000 per year. Enter the top 10% with $12,000 a year. To be included in the top 0.1% requires an annual income of $70,000

Point being, we’re awful damn lucky to be in America. Got a beef? Hey, who doesn’t? Organize and take it to the ballot box (preferably to not vote for the same people who perpetuate the problems you claim to be protesting). Camping in parks, sh*#tting on cop cars and demanding Marxist political systems that have been responsible for misery, death, disease, extreme poverty, oppression and squalor-a-plenty is certainly one way to live down to your signage and ensure you end up in the lower half of the 99% of the entire world.

(h/t Ace of Spades)

Comments

18 Responses to “‘I Am the 1%’”

1. Hyperfobea on November 9th, 2011 2:55 pm

China and Russia would be as delighted to have them as we are to see them go.
    Maybe if the OWSers lived in either of those places for a while (or even Cuba) they might better appreciate (insofar as understanding goes) the system they're promoting. If they have the courage of their convictions that should be enough of a ticket out of the greedy-capitalistic-USA.

2. BarneysGarage on November 9th, 2011 3:26 pm

The defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors – Henry Becque

3. Marshall_Will on November 9th, 2011 4:14 pm

Funny. Being of Bulgarian descent, it was interesting to hear one of our Russian-born NCO's mention how nice the Black Sea is on the Bulgarian Coast. Her husband and she stayed at a decent hotel for $4 a night! Meals avg'd $5 and the waitresses kept insisting that by being tipped they customer had 'overpaid'. Evidently don't see a 'lot' of them?

As the conversation broadened a detachment from our Unit went to Sophia in '06. It piqued my curiosity enough to learn the avg. annual income there is under $8k a year. ( Not sure where that puts my cousins but..? )

These OWS clowns don't know what poverty IS!?

4. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2011 5:14 pm

As I stated a few weeks ago, if the OWSers actually got what they`re demanding, they`d HATE it !

In the early `60s, my family stayed in a Mom & Pop`s motel next to Jockey Ridge, the largest sand dune on the east coast, on the Outer Banks of NC. The bill, $5. / night. HIGHWAY ROBBERY !! ;-)

5. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2011 5:22 pm

One of my fellow church members has for years hosted Lithuanian exchange students. He loved telling the story of taking them to a dept store and super markets. Almost without fail, he`d have to shove them on in the front door; they`d stop and stare at the store full of fully stocked shelves with unbelievable varieties of clothes / food. They had grown up used to near empty shelves and barely a choice of goods.

We really don`t realize just how really good we`ve had it !

6. AngusE.Parvo on November 9th, 2011 6:43 pm

The top 3% of households in Australia earn $250k per WEEK? Is that a typo?

7. SignPainterGuy on November 9th, 2011 8:05 pm

If it isn`t, I`m filing for a travel visa SOON ! I have skills !

8. backwoodsconsr on November 10th, 2011 11:06 am

Excellent article, Doug. I filed a link to it for future reference. As I have become increasingly aware from my recent reading of Thomas Sowell's books, people who determine whether or not they are poor by comparing themselves to the richest people in the richest country in the world will always come up on the short end.

We are indeed fortunate to live in this great nation and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

9. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2011 3:32 pm

Indeed. TS is always a good read and listen. I wish everyone would pay more attention to his common sense.

I used to think about the countries I`d like to see (I`ve never been out of the country). Terrorism cut the # drastically, and liberalism cut it further. I think I`m down to 3.

10. backwoodsconsr on November 10th, 2011 5:07 pm

I made a vow to myself a long time ago that I would never leave this country except to defend it. There are very few countries I feel I could trust with my personal freedom–basically just Great Britain and Australia. Australia would be a tempting place to visit, but the wildlife there will kill you.

11. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2011 5:37 pm

There are parts of Canada I`d love to see. Scotland, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand have long seemed really interesting. After working w/ a Brit and an Aussie, I`ve dropped Ireland and feeling squeamish about Australia. The outback will kill ya !

12. backwoodsconsr on November 10th, 2011 5:54 pm

While browsing Google Earth in the area of Glacier National Park, I noticed there is a marker on the US/Canadian border. I've considered the possibility of walking right up to that marker, taking a picture of it, and turning around and walking back.

13. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2011 6:02 pm

I`d have to step over and snap a pic back toward the US, just like I`d like to stand at the "Four Corners" monument, on the "X", so I could be "four places at once " . I`ve been several places where I could "see" multiple states at once (on a clear day), stood on state lines and continental divides, But international stuff, only on a boat 8 miles out from Topsail Island,NC. How "real" is that ? Ppfffft !

14. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2011 6:09 pm

I had bookmarked all the family homes, friends, race tracks I`ve worked at (+ some int`l), volcanoes of interest, n stuff. The GE globe looked like a pin cushion …until I lost my hard drive this past spring. I haven`t had the heart to replace them.

Maybe this Thanksgiving or Christmas, I can get my `puter whiz nephew to school me on a lot of `puter stuff I need to know !

15. backwoodsconsr on November 10th, 2011 6:09 pm

BTW, my work has been taking me to Asheville a lot lately, and I've been noticing a beautiful park on the French Broad River on Amboy Road. Have you ever been there? I want to walk around in that park so bad I can't stand it, but I'll have to wait till I have the time and money to go up there on my own. I can't do it while I'm working.

16. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2011 6:23 pm

That is now "Carrier Park". It was the 1/3rd mile New Asheville Speedway, closed down by the fairies and tree-huggers who have this DS about noisy beer-drinking red neck racers. It is part of the Greenway Walk along the river. YES,btw, I do resent its closing. I lettered a lot of hip-pocket racer`s cars and the back billboard fence ! Watching the races was fun too. Avg. speed for the fast guys – 100+ mph.

17. backwoodsconsr on November 10th, 2011 7:46 pm

Wow! To look at it now I wouldn't have guessed there used to a racetrack there. What a location! I look back with sadness on a couple of local tracks I used to go to, including my very first–the Golden Strip Speedway in Fountain Inn. Neither had such a beautiful location.

18. SignPainterGuy on November 10th, 2011 8:47 pm

At the same point where you look right and see the park, look left up on the hill. Biltmore Estate is building a 6 acre photo-voltaic solar panel farm to supply 25% of the estate`s electrical power. They are keen on green.

There was an airfield along the river under the race track used during and a while after WWII.

An amazing amount of junk and nastiness was cleaned up around the track and along the river to make it appealing for walkers and park visitors; no small task.