Yep, “MA’O Farm” is actually the name of the place in Hawaii that Michelle Obama visited over the weekend. Hey, I don’t write it, I just report it:

College interns who help run one of the island’s largest organic farms guided first lady Michelle Obama through fields of budding salad greens Saturday, then sat down to swap stories with her about their efforts to improve the health of their communities.
[...]
The nonprofit MA’O Organic Farms, on 24 acres of Lualualei Valley, is devoted to raising healthy crops for local consumption while also growing a new generation of leaders in touch with the land and their heritage.

“I’ve heard about all that’s going on here for years and years,” Obama told the students. “I jumped at the opportunity to come and not just see for myself but also allow the world to see what you all are doing.”

When it comes to healthy alternatives, MA’O Farms is a great leap forward… uh, you know, food-wise.

All semi-joking aside, the First Lady was there to promote healthy eating, and she did just that:

On Saturday in Hawaii, during a visit to MA’O Organic Farms, First Lady Michelle Obama held a roundtable discussion on the importance of healthy eating and organic farming for her Let’s Move! campaign to end childhood obesity. After, Mrs. Obama presented the student interns who run the farm with a special gift: Presidential M&Ms.

I can hear them getting fitter already. Or is that fatter?

Comments

19 Responses to “FLOTUS Tours MA’O Farms, Hands Out Healthy Organic Snacks”

1. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2011 5:27 pm

Yes because all we know of the World Meanchelle is what we 'see' of it through your all-knowing and ever generous eyes! So much so, we shall SING to you! ( Repulsive vid clip Doug )

Again, what are they doing there that makes the approach so unique, new or cutting edge? Looked like a third world country. And a non-profit at that. We are all so proud to work the ground w/ wooden sticks and use palm leaves as umbrellas Mao!

2. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2011 5:29 pm

I was already burnt-out on the enviro-nit wits when the organic movement started. In many cases, the only thing different for food producers was changing the package label to incl. the word "ORGANIC". Oh, and raising the price, of course !

Can anyone `splain the dif. betwixt "organic" and "non-organic" HONEY on the groc. store shelf ?

3. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2011 5:42 pm

I watched the vid, was also unimpressed with the whole thing. Skipped over the "worship song"……..

I was left w/ the question; Why does everything the left does have to cost more to the customer / taxpayer and expected to produce "NO Profit" ?

I was kinda hopin` I`d see those Presidential M&Ms to see what logo is on `em; maybe in one of the following vids. Sorry, can`t stand to watch more of Meanchelle "All this for a flag ?" Oblamer or her hubby.

4. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2011 5:45 pm

Evidently the 'difference' is you're stoned when you go to harvest it? Spoke at length w/ our fitness monitor and he shared that virtually anything in your diet, good or bad doesn't begin to register until you reach at least a 10 to 20% threshold.

Meaning if you had (5) 12 oz. drinks in a day, 4 were water, (1) was a Pepsi, it doesn't add up to jack.

Three years in and at the 7th Level of Dante's Financial Inferno and we're still doin' feel good stuff. Freaking perfect.

5. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2011 6:06 pm

In a TV doc. on honey bottling, only the introduction of heat and machinery differentiates small from big-time producers. Otherwise, there`s nothing "non" organic involved at any time !

Being stoned just makes more fun and feel better ! Oh, and the "in to it" factor ! ;-)

6. Dexter_Alarius on November 14th, 2011 6:12 pm

Presidential M&Ms to workers at an organic farm?

What does she give to cancer researchers, Presidential Packs of Cigarettes?

7. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2011 6:31 pm

IIUC, Honey is the only food on the planet w/ an indefinite shelf life. It needs no preservatives ANY damned way!

Doug was reading my mind. More appropriately mentioned here, but for all the Caddy Healthcare Plans the wife and I have, we primarily employ as many home remedies and natural food as possible. And by 'natural' I don't mean the Stoner Seal of Approval, just that you won't find our shelves slammed w/ junk food.

Other than bloodwork and Annual Phys. we try NOT to abuse our benefits and do as much by way of fitness and supplements, etc. What do you want to bet each and every OWS putz's made a beeline for the nearest ER after catching God knows what? Probably flooding local hospitals w/ everything from pnuemonia to the cl@p?

Just the crowd we need a wholesomeness lecture from HUH!

8. Yazsters on November 14th, 2011 7:06 pm

Maybe macadamia nuts, native of Hawaii, would be a better snack to hand out. Everyone loves them, and they tend to be on most peoples healthy list.

9. CCG on November 14th, 2011 7:26 pm

Everything they do is simply wrong. No common sense. No decorum. They are such an international embarassment. **He's at a fundraiser today – the only thing on his official schedule.

10. swede on November 14th, 2011 7:34 pm

"I can hear them getting fitter already. Or is that fatter"

Do I hear the fitter fatter of little freaks?

11. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2011 9:04 pm

Wouldn`t argue with any of that. Very likely conservative in estimation, except for the shelf-life of honey; it never lasted long enough here to see just how long it lasts on a shelf !!

12. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2011 9:06 pm

(cupped hand to ear) Why yes, I believe you do ! ;-)

13. Marshall_Will on November 14th, 2011 9:31 pm

Always partial to it, I understand they've found it in pyramids etc as tasty as they day it was made!

All during Occupy they were clamoring for "energy bars". Ever look at the ingredients? I kinda' live off 'em at the barracks or rather tried. After only a few days you become a mindless, souless ZOMBIE. Just like..?

Downing a 5-Hour Energy before PT? Fine, but these scumbags LIVE off the stuff. Why they're just worthless 'without' it!

14. SignPainterGuy on November 14th, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah, the "kids" on the tire fitting crew lived on Red Bull ….. then ate like birds. No wonder one fell out on the ground one day.

15. backwoodsconsr on November 15th, 2011 1:26 am

I don't know about the shelf life of honey, but the most useless information I've ever seen is the expiration date on cheese–for the same reason.

16. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2011 1:47 am

"Expiration dates on cheese", you haven`t seen some cheese I`ve seen ….. in the fridge ! Oddly enough, my Mom thought you should put honey in the fridge after opening ! She`d pop it in the miker-nuker to warm it up so it`d pour, then pop it back in the fridge. That of course turned the honey to a granular sugar-like substance. Good as new once re-warmed. Strange stuff, this honey !

You also wouldn`t believe what Mom did to "torture" toast !

17. backwoodsconsr on November 15th, 2011 10:28 am

Now we have to worry about whether we're getting real honey.

As anybody can tell you, if you really want to make a man mad, start messing with his honey.

18. SignPainterGuy on November 15th, 2011 3:03 pm

Hmmm, certainly makes you wonder. It`s the pollen that gives honey its color and most importantly, its flavor and sweetness. Sourwood has always been my fave; lighter, less sweet though it costs easily twice the cost clover honey ……. It seems to me only a lab could determine the origin; hardly something a consumer would know.

Yep, leave my "honey" alone !

My grandparent`s bees collected pollen from flowers, fruit trees, the veggie garden, locust and other trees w/ flowering blooms ….. it tasted strong and different than anything from a store !

19. clu seatoe on November 15th, 2011 10:08 pm

Drudge has this article link on his page:

“…no grocery stores in underserved communities…?”

A blatant euphemism for “The white man holding the black man down.” But, most blacks won’t even venture out in their own neighborhoods after sundown without a massive police presents. So even if they were there, they wouldn't get used after dark and that's probably one reason why they closed up shop.

My response to FLOTUS is ask the queen bee why she doesn’t put her hive outside the entrance to the bear’s den. Is it somebody’s fault, or does it just make good sense?

Once again it’s the oh so familiar WH cry:

“IT’S SOMEONE ELSE’S FAULT!!”