There’s also a 1% burger on the menu for $58:

Here’s the irony: Taking the ingredients into consideration, the 1% burger is a better deal. When it comes to the Occupy burger, 99 percent seems to be the markup:

A steakhouse in Washington, D.C., is taking a cue from the anti-Wall Street “Occupy” rallies, outfitting its menu with two burgers — one for the so-called 99 percent and another for the remaining one percent.

BLT Steak, just blocks from the “Occupy Washington” rally in Washington, D.C., has a rotating menu of politically-themed sandwiches, according to Eater.com.

New on the menu is the “99 percent,” a six ounce patty melt served on Wonder Bread going for $9.99. Its nemesis, the “One percent,” contains eight ounces of “Kobe” beef served with foie gras, gold leaf, and Grey Poupon. It is $58.

Eater points out that the $9.99 price tag on a patty melt and white bread is perhaps the bigger markup of the two burgers. “The ’99 percent’ is more or less a total ripoff, and the ‘One percent’ is not nearly as excessive as it could be,” the blog said.

How many “Occupiers” will consider this support of the movement (and I use the word “movement” in the most scatological way possible) instead of seeing it as a restaurant owner putting 45 cents worth of ingredients on a plate and charging $9.99 for it?

Charging ten bucks is a thumb in the eye of the Occupiers, because they want it for… you know… free. But if the restaurant did that for Occupiers they would be saying “I’m one of you,” and that only ends badly for businesses that appease.

You can also season the Occupy Burger to your liking. They say it tastes great sprinkled with a dash of assault and pepper spray:

Comments

10 Responses to “DC Restaurant Adds OWS “99 Percent” Burger to Menu for Greedy Price of $9.99”

1. SignPainterGuy on November 19th, 2011 9:13 pm

I never understood charging, much less paying someone, $10. for a burger sammich without sides or a drink. Of course, I never had to pay protection, er, uh, accident insurance fees like in the big cities. And I haven`t eaten white bread since I forgot to ask for wheat at an Awful House diner.

Just checked my supplier; gold leaf is about $2.50 a sheet (3-3/8" x 3-3/8" x a very few thousandths of an inch thick – floats in the air for an incredibly long time), the restaurant would only sprinkle on maybe a quarter sheet, all just for looks and marked up by factors of 10 – at least.

What makes it an OWSer burger must be the grey poop on the dee jon !

2. Pasadena Phil on November 19th, 2011 9:49 pm

Wonder bread? Isn't that the bread that enhances women's cleavage?

3. Marshall_Will on November 20th, 2011 12:15 am

What the menu neglects to mention is ( the 99%'er is served to you in the alley, AFTER they've closed! )

As MM has noted "they're just spoiling for a fight", but this has been a looong time in the making. Each and every ONE of the professional slackers are where they're at by choice.

Medicore participation in HS, sloughing/stoning their way thru college and buying a junker car when even the slightest effort could've landed them a better ride! Have you LOOKED at used car prices lately..? Pick up a nice Jag that retailed for $65k for five grand. Low miles, less than 8 or 10 years old. Very presentable vehicles for 3 to 5k.

But no… they'll prefer buy a Subaru wagon w/ 300k on it for $995 held together by bumper stickers and bungee cords. All in order to 'look' the part. ( How much could the payments on a 5k car BE..!? ) Evidently that requires a small commitment to employment. And 'any' effort is too 'much' effort. They'll bitch instead.

4. backwoodsconsr on November 20th, 2011 10:20 am

I'll turn thumbs down on both of those burgers. When I want burgers done right I visit one of the local greasy spoon restaurants in my area. The ultimate greasy spoon joint is The Beacon in Spartanburg, SC. If you're ever in the area check it out.

5. Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup » Pirate's Cove on November 20th, 2011 12:43 pm

[...] I wonder what the 99% burger costs? The Powers That Be has the [...]

6. SignPainterGuy on November 20th, 2011 10:05 pm

Great place for fried food. My ONLY 2 issues; it`s 1-1/2 hrs away and always crowded. Is the old black cook still there ? He`d been there for something over 40 yrs the last time I was there !

7. backwoodsconsr on November 20th, 2011 10:15 pm

I don't know about the cook. I've only been there twice (courtesy of a coworker) so I haven't been there enough to know the cast of characters. It's probably less than an hour away for me, but it's still something I tend to do when I'm already up there for something. Last time my friend and I decided to forego using company transportation to attend a meeting in Spartanburg so we would be free to go to The Beacon afterwards.

8. SignPainterGuy on November 20th, 2011 10:20 pm

It was a long time ago, so it`s not really likely. His pic was on one of the dining room walls with other notables. Some time after that, a TV station did a special on him and the Beacon.

9. deepa on November 21st, 2011 5:41 am

Good, Keep it up it was a useful visit. Visit: deccansojourn (India’s leading online gift portal).

10. Stanley on April 28th, 2014 9:40 am

Have you been wondering what the top restaurant in Mosman is? Well Ripples Chowder Bay has you covered