Michael Moore on the pepper spraying of “Occupiers” at UC Davis:

The images have resonated around the world in the same way that the lone man standing in front of the tanks at Tiananmen Square resonated. It is an iconic movement in Occupy Wall Street history,” Michael Moore declared on MSNBC’s “Last Word” program.

I highly doubt they will resonate in the same way:

The comparison is especially ridiculous for anybody who has seen photos of the aftermath of the Chinese Army crackdown at Tiananmen Square. The Tiananmen protesters ended up in body bags — the protesters at UC Davis just had to pour water in their eyes and they weren’t even late for their LGBT Studies class. Yeah, uncanny similarities.

Comments

22 Responses to “Overstatement of the Day”

1. Pasadena Phil on November 23rd, 2011 1:15 pm

Those police uniforms, helmets, batons and other gear are provocative too. Sends the wrong message to these sensitive protestors who have yet to figure out what their message is. The pepper spray is not helping them focus either. We can only imagine what this is doing for their self-esteem.

Mom! The cops are being mean to me again!

2. clu seatoe on November 23rd, 2011 1:45 pm

…and all I was doing was disobeying a lawful order.

3. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2011 1:53 pm

Um… I've been pepper sprayed. Everyone in the Guard goes thru it. I didn't just SIT there and take it? It's almost involuntary, you start rolling around and clutching at your head gasping. Why were they so compliant?

OT but just sad: From The Chappelle Files! When keepin' it real doesn't pay off?

WTF Jimmy. Used to like your show once in awhile. "Edgy Fail". While you're dumb@$$ is apologizing, please give us (1) clear example where Michele has "lied" about anything? Dumb@$$!

4. Pasadena Phil on November 23rd, 2011 2:08 pm

Michelle lied in the OKLoyalist sense of lying. If he disagrees with you, you're a liar.

5. cdl on November 23rd, 2011 2:17 pm

Michael Moore isn't really upset about the protesters being sprayed with pepper spray. That's what he wants you to think.

He's really upset about the fact that it is a tremendous waste of hot pepper spray that could have been used on several buckets of KFC.

The man does NOT waste food or condiments.

6. backwoodsconsr on November 23rd, 2011 2:18 pm

You always get Moore from Michael. Unfortunately, it's not more of anything useful.

7. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2011 2:34 pm

Phil,

I sat down and listened -intently- to her every word during the Tea Party response. As she covered our abysmal state of financial affairs, there just wasn't (1) single point you could debate? Unless of course you believe we can 'borrow' our way out of debt?

So sick and tired of our Conservative gals being played for squares and chumps. I recall one time MM was debating some "rap minister" from out here in Portland and she got UP w/ him saying "Oh… I KNOW my music sir! I KNOW my music!" At the time I thought it was a little… inconsequential?

Well now we know why. Making veiled, sexual-laden comments thru alluding to songs/lyrics is apparently nothing 'new' to Michelle. Probably gets plenty in the You've Got Hatemail! bag.

8. Pasadena Phil on November 23rd, 2011 3:17 pm

Bachmann's problem is that she is timid. She should be attacking the GOP establishment but she never does. We keep hearing that she is annoying the leadership but whatever it is that she is doing to annoy them, it isn't apparent publicly.

She is the only solid conservative running but she seems to be stuck in the congressional mindset of going along to get along. She needs to attack the establishment and you can't do that by playing by the establishment rules. She never seems to fight for anything. She just demures to the higher ups.

9. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2011 3:43 pm

She missed a golden opportunity when leading in the polls in not going nuclear. As briefly possible, I'll try to explain why:

At my Guard base I've always had a get along/go along rep. as well. Lots of seniority, not a lot of rank. In almost 30 years I'd never played the nuke card. Always looked out for my guys instead.

Then some d!ckhead wannabe bureaucrat tried to have me medically discharged. Bust on the Nuke Card! One I'd been 'sitting' on since 1980..? When you have a solid reputation and aren't a WHINER, it works and works well! SHOW me where I 'haven't' been a team player! SHOW me where I haven't put my people first!?

MB had every Moral Authority under the sun to say, if this doesn't work, then I guess we're all dead anyway! Why she didn't I'll never know why?

10. Dexter_Alarius on November 23rd, 2011 4:01 pm

Wow, Michael, you're so right!
    In fact, I think the OWSers are exactly like the Pilgrims, who landed at Plymouth Rock. Walls are sometimes made of rock, so the Occupy Wall Streeters are just like them. And the Pilgrims were fleeing oppression and seeking to build a life on their own terms. And sort of camped out, since there weren't any W Hotels yet. Yup, the OWSers are just like the Pilgrims. Except the Pilgrims were religious. And law abiding. And clean. And hard working. And… nevermind.

11. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2011 4:45 pm

Dex,

+10,000!

Those that did not survive the first Winter ( 1620-1621 )
    MEN

John Allerton, Richard Britteridge, Robert Carter, James Chilton, Richard Clarke, John Crackstone, Sr., Thomas English, Moses Fletcher, Edward Fuller, William Holbeck, John Langmore, Edmund Margesson, Christopher Martin, William Mullins, Degory Priest, John Rigsdale, Thomas Rogers, Elias Story, Edward Thompson, Edward Tilley, John Tilley, Thomas Tinker, John Turner, William White, Roger Wilder, Thomas Williams
    WOMEN

Joseph Mullins
    Solomon Prower
    son of Thomas Tinker
    son of John Turner
    another son of John Turner

12. Truesoldier on November 23rd, 2011 5:02 pm

I was thinking he was pissed, because at first his eyes had played a trick on him and he thought the cop was basting one hell of a big turkey. Then he realized it was protesters so he made the statement to cover his mistake.

13. SignPainterGuy on November 23rd, 2011 5:20 pm

You must be right ! ____I have this mental image of Michael "the So Much" Moore in a wheeled office chair, frantically eating his way around the All You Can Eat buffet at Ryan`s Steak House ! He sees himself as one of those Chinese tanks, mowing down the opposition; we see him more as a tank, fouling up the food bar for everyone else ! Watch out for those chair wheels, they HURT !

14. SignPainterGuy on November 23rd, 2011 5:23 pm

Freedom amd independence don`t come cheap ! Nor are they in-expensive !

15. PortiaElizabeth on November 23rd, 2011 5:44 pm

Moore's comment makes me sick. My husband and I were in Tiananmen Square one year after the protests. We saw the bullet holes in the statues where troops had fired upon the protesters. Even though attempts had been made to scrub the area clean, we saw the scorched marks from where bodies had been burned in piles like trash. My husband's father had a friend who was a physician at one of the local hospitals. He insisted on walking outside with us so as not to be overheard. Then he told us that the bodies of those mowed down in the square were "stacked up like cordwood" in the hallways of his hospital as well as other clinics in Beijing. He told us that the families of the victims were too afraid to claim the bodies for fear of reprisals.
    Michael Moore is an arrogant, ignorant ass. Too bad people actually still listen to his blather.

16. The Watcher on November 23rd, 2011 6:54 pm

I like the 'family-crowd-control-size' sprayer.

17. Truesoldier on November 23rd, 2011 7:12 pm

The best appearance Michael Moore ever made in a movie was in Team America!

18. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2011 7:27 pm

Quite a stunning and moving personal experience. Thanks for sharing that b/c I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be what Anderson Cooper etc. would have been reporting.

There were 'eyes & ears' everywhere. Then again, what Westerner 'isn't' a threat to Beijing? Yeah, great analogy Michael…

19. Jimbo on November 23rd, 2011 8:12 pm

He should have finished with a second round of Febreeze.

20. Marshall_Will on November 23rd, 2011 9:09 pm

Twisted!

Yeah, then blindfold sniff test two uber-hip NYC socialite gals to see if it actually masks the stench. I like where you're going here. If Sleazy Jay-Z can make a buck off this scum..?

Hey for those heading out of town may God Bless and have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Be safe, have fun and keep Michelle and her cousin in our prayers.

21. OK_Loyalist on November 23rd, 2011 10:57 pm

Your pussy getting sore?

22. Hyperfobea on November 29th, 2011 11:57 am

“The images have resonated around the world in the same way that the lone man standing in front of the tanks at Tiananmen Square resonated. It is an iconic movement in Occupy Wall Street history,” Michael Moore declared.

Yoipes! He's been spending far too much time in the hyperbolic chamber.