Thanks to the triumphant arrival of “Hope & Change” three years ago, the middle class is being saved… from having places to work:

It took Bob Bertsch 25 years to build his construction business and just a day for it all to go away.

Bertsch’s Kennewick-based Ashley-Bertsch Group went on the auction block Friday at 9 a.m. By 4 p.m., Booker Auctions had sold off almost two dozen vehicles and trailers, tons of power tools and supplies, even the gas-fired fireplace in the office.

Bertsch, 65, said he is down-sizing because the tax burden got too expensive to stay in business.

After a quarter of a century of building a successful enterprise at 5903 W. Metaline Ave., Bertsch sat back and watched as about 200 people bid on what was left of his company — boxes of electrical parts, a drafting desk, high-end office furniture, TVs, computers and even the phone system.

Anything that could be carried away, was.

“I am tired of carrying all the tax load,” Bertsch said. “I renew 13 licenses here every year just so I can spend money in this city.”

Bertsch makes no attempt to conceal his frustration with the costs government imposes on small businesses like his.

“Government is killing small business. We used to have 24 employees at our peak. Now, all of those people who used to work here are in unemployment lines,” he said.
[...]
Bertsch told a friend at the auction he is selling out because government was taking more out of his business than he was.

Oh come on, buddy, at least stay in business until the quality, affordable health care bill fully kicks in… it gets way better! Or maybe not.

(h/t Instapundit)

Comments

8 Responses to “The ‘Going Galt’ Story of the Day”

1. backwoodsconsr on December 4th, 2011 5:43 pm

I expect there are many more such people out there, and will be many more before it's over. Of course the airhead liberals (pardon the redundancy) will continue to believe their excessive regulation and taxation have nothing but beneficial effects.

2. OK_Loyalist on December 4th, 2011 6:00 pm

It's like 1980 is re-occurring all over again.

3. clu seatoe on December 4th, 2011 7:41 pm

As much as it pains me to say it, this tax issue is not a problem brought on by the Hope and Change meister or his cadre, although it may be much worse now.

Back in ’02 I started a small service business and within two years was taxed out of business. Every time I had to cross a line of demarcation for county, or city I was hit with another tax under the guise of a permit or license to operate the business.

They were all percentages of income produced and some were so excessive that if I didn’t have a certain number of customers within the boundaries, after expenses I ended up losing money. Added to that, each city, county, and the state used me as their personal sales tax collector with no remuneration of any kind.

Although I enjoyed life and had great self-satisfaction during that period, I was always aware that as I moved around I had all these other hands in my pockets that did nothing more than siphon off what they believe to be municipal entitlements that leach from my efforts under threat of six-figure fines or imprisonment.

4. ReaganiteGOPer on December 4th, 2011 10:35 pm

I've gone Gault

Greatly assisted by the fact that AdSense doesn't' pay squat these days lol

5. Pasadena Phil on December 5th, 2011 2:05 am

Doesn't he know that the Republicans are going to be returned to power next year? They promise to try to nibble down the rate of acceleration of government spending and debt the first chance they get!

Of course you have to cut them slack considering that with the problems they are inheriting from the worst president in history. they may have to increase the rate of acceleration first. Like when Bush was president and the Republicans controlled everything everywhere.

6. Granny55 on December 5th, 2011 11:45 am

Why is making a profit so evil to those libs who profess to want to help everyone. If it were not for profits – there would be no employment. Idiots!

7. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2011 12:14 pm

Even though the owner was at an age where scaling back, or even throwing in the towel are the natural order of things, construction is in the crapper, this is still a powerful statement!

Why wasn't he able to find a buyer for the business INTACT! Are you kidding me? All those contacts and connections don't develop overnight. They are very v-a-l-u-a-b-l-e connections. Why weren't bigger outfits like Heinkels & McCoy just picking this up? Talk about turnkey?

Oh..! It's a Texas-sized PITA and you're in the end just buying a regulatory liability! I will say, when played out against the generally expanding economy of the 90's, the EPA mandate to REMOVE all underground fuel storage tanks was a godsend for these Eng. firms. Why no worky now?

8. offset printing on December 6th, 2011 12:19 am

That was really an awesome presentation. I mean i learned something from it..