You know an operation is affiliated with the government when the first thing they think of doing when they want to turn the business around and win back customers is to make service worse:

Here’s the latest bid by the U.S. Postal Service to cut its losses: slower mail. The Postal Service, which is trying to cut $20 billion in operating costs by 2015, is asking the Postal Regulatory Commission to let it relax delivery standards for first-class mail, which includes letters and bills.

Hey, it’s not like people have other options like FedEx or UPS. What? Oh, nevermind.

Comments

28 Responses to “US Post Office Master Plan to Cut Losses: Slower Mail”

1. clu seatoe on December 5th, 2011 6:22 pm

What’s your question? What’s your suspicion? Anybody wonder why? If you dig deep enough and don’t let them sluff you off, you’ll find out it’s all about the unions.

2. Dexter_Alarius on December 5th, 2011 7:09 pm

These are the people that think they can run our healthcare system.

3. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2011 7:29 pm

Ok… so my junk mail takes longer for me to get it and throw it out? Beat me w/ a wet noodle will ya'!

I remember in the late 80's a lot of the guys/gals I was in the service w/ elected to get out and work at the Post Office. Most came running and screaming back into the military! Yikes, what a disaster. If they didn't "break you" in the first year they made your life a holy hell!

If you broke, you're in. Welcome aboard.., Newwwwwman. Here's an even better idea, just shut it down. No one will miss it. Even at 52 we pay nearly all our bills etc. online.

4. backwoodsconsr on December 5th, 2011 7:33 pm

I've always heard that as you get older playing post office takes a little longer.

5. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2011 7:39 pm

Are you sayin` it now takes you all night to play the Post Office you used to play all night ?

6. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2011 7:42 pm

UPS isn`t old enough to have a great number of retirees yet (don`t know if FedEx is unionized), so are they just not old enough to be experiencing the unfunded retiree pension funds …….. yet ?

7. backwoodsconsr on December 5th, 2011 7:47 pm

Something like that. I remember hearing a fellow say, "I used to always want it twice. Now I want it twice till I've had it once."

8. backwoodsconsr on December 5th, 2011 7:49 pm

Interesting point. I've long considered one of the Post Office's problems to be that they weren't really free to run it like a business. Now we should watch to see how the businesses do.

9. Truesoldier on December 5th, 2011 8:01 pm

So true. I have a co-worker who worked at the postoffice delivering mail. She told me some of the most craziest things that went on. For example. There are some routes that you are paid based on the the average of time it takes for the carriers. So if the average time it takes is say 7 hours, but you finished in 4 hours you still get paid for the 7 hours. That is just one of the Union deals that was enabled.

10. Truesoldier on December 5th, 2011 8:03 pm

No kidding. The gal I mentioned in the earlier post was in the AF. She ran from the post office just as fast as she could.

11. Truesoldier on December 5th, 2011 8:05 pm

My onl y question is how long will it be till Netflix cuts a deal with either UPS or Fedex? If they do not I do not see how Netflix will survive.

12. Pasadena Phil on December 5th, 2011 8:12 pm

The reason private companies don't try to survive by worsening the quality of their business is that they never survive long enough to make such irrational decisions. Knowing they are no longer competitive, they either shut down or sell out to a competitor. Government is all about dishing out crap so they don't know these things.

13. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2011 8:14 pm

NF doesn't want -any- kind of presence in the phys. world. They're moving all digitized. I feel bad for my kids, in their 20's totally hooked on Hulu, NF etc. There's already rumblings they're beginning to jack up prices.

14. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2011 8:16 pm

Most only w/ the intent it was a place to salvage their Federal time and take an opening -elsewhere- in the Gov. as they finished college and positions came avail.

Like a lot of things, it was a great 'plan'.

15. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2011 8:18 pm

Lol, I don't believe 'wanting' has a THING to do with it! Being able to 'deliver'..?

16. Truesoldier on December 5th, 2011 8:23 pm

I dont mind the higher prices and would be fine with all streaming content. I just wish they would get to that point already and be done with it. I do not get cable were I live, which is nice. It allows me to seriously monitor what my family watches (parental controls on the network access are nice). The only downside is the majority of what they have as streaming content is older movies (which I do like) and a lot of garbage reality shows.

I know that costs to get the rights for streaming and what not, but like I said I would be willing to pay more than I am now (I have both the streaming and the dvd delivery costs) to have access to what I want to watch.

17. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2011 8:24 pm

Airlines tried the "lean n mean" route ….. nope, went bankrupt. USPS is going the "lean n slow" route. Other bizs tried it and were successful. They weren`t strangled by unions though ! Time to bust the union strangle-hold.

About 10 yrs ago I read that unions had cost American businesses $50 T in added labor costs. I shudder to think what it might be now !

18. clu seatoe on December 5th, 2011 8:30 pm

The other side of the coin works just as well. In an earlier lifetime I had a roommate that was a Marine, got out and into the Reserves, went to work in the PO at night, and worked as a reservist at what used to be El Toro Marine Base as an air traffic controller. Perfectly happy.

19. Pasadena Phil on December 5th, 2011 8:50 pm

It's not that the USPS should be closed down but that it should be greatly downsized to serve only those remote out-of-the-way markets that no else can serve at an affordable price. The USPS cannot not survive without government subsidies and those markets can only be properly served by a subsidized government postal service. There are lots of places that Fedex and UPS choose not to serve for that very reason.

20. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2011 9:22 pm

Feelin` all young n sprye are you at only 52 ?! ;-)

21. backwoodsconsr on December 5th, 2011 9:31 pm

There are two things you lose the use of as you get older. One is your memory, and …….I forget what the other one is.

A female newspaper columnist wrote a Christmas article some years ago talking about the annual family get-together, and the menfolk arguing over the best way to build the fire. "My mom told me there are three things every man thinks he can do better than any other man, and the other two are drive and build a fire."

22. Marshall_Will on December 5th, 2011 9:40 pm

TS,

Mrs. Will and I are looking at buying/building a 2nd home in S. OR or N. Cal. The -only- thing we will consider is a FTA System ( Free To Air ) Mostly the churches that pay to keep it on the air. Still there's a lot of choice and the dish is no bigger than Direct/Dish.

Talking maybe $600 for the whole system. We decided that while we like the idea of a 2nd home, a complete 2nd set of BILLS ( not so much? ) So uh… whatever it 'is' that's offered for free sounds good to us? Lots of Fox, ABC/CBS/NBC affiliates across the country.

In what seems like years ago, we had a 10' dish out in the country. Just fantastic. Mrs. W could watch all her fave Tagalog/Filipino shows on Ku Band and it was mostly free. We paid like $19.95 a month. We get basic cable in our condo complex and it's 95% cr@p on. Why do you think I'm HERE so much!?

23. SignPainterGuy on December 5th, 2011 11:08 pm

So now we hear the truth ! And all this time I thought you LIKED hangin` out with us !

24. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 2:21 am

Phil,

When the dust settles it will look more like remote outposts serving isolated populations well off main arteries. Liberals are forever telling us we need to embrace 'change' ( but when it's their t!t in the wringer..? )

USPS is a Prog stronghold. So many 'firsts' in the workplace find their origins there. The Crown Jewel of Sacred Cows!

25. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 2:34 am

However cautious, I'm sure I've misrepresented myself!

One thing I've learned, Progs love nothing better than to play older, conservative white males off as being either a) s_xually inadequate b) frustrated c) ( repressed gheys ) and when all THAT fails.., d) office mashers that abuse our authority to get the favors we want!

No, you won't be seeing me in adult videos any time soon. But I don't think there's anything wrong w/ telling a taunting troll, pesky relative or annoying co-worker you're um… more than satisfied w/ your love life AND it's none of their freaking business!

Who's peeping in WHO'S bedroom window NOW!? Freaking busybody Progs..! This little tack of their's dates back to Nixon. Enough!

26. Hyperfobea on December 6th, 2011 8:43 am

Ditto that very last line, M_W. When I want to exercise more than my thumbs (handheld gaming console) I pop in at Doug's place for comic relief, real news you won't find anywhere (except at MM's place), and of course to see what all you schlubs are writing. It's funy stuff. And provocative too. Cheers to all the schlubs!

27. Truesoldier on December 6th, 2011 1:22 pm

We looked into the dish, but with the high winds and just the density of trees from what we have seen those in the area that went dish have since cancelled (tlaked to some of them and they said the signal was just bad, hell we are even in a cell dead zone). As for free air, I checked into that and we are too far away from anything to really pick up a signal. It would require a really good roof mount antena and again the high winds would play havoc on that.

As you pointed out there really isnt much on tv and that is why we have loved Netflix so much. The few shows worth watching we can get on DVD or stream if available. I dont mind waiting to get to see the next season, plus it is nice to not have to wait for next week to see the next episode.

28. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 1:49 pm

Gee whiz, where do you live ?

My Friends and Sister have all complained about sat. dishes; they all fail to some degree in bad weather, snow and ice being especially tuff – just when you want to be able to be inside, maybe watching the tube.