As evidenced above, the similarities are already uncanny, but President Obama today will try and draw himself even closer to Teddy Roosevelt:

OSAWATOMIE, KAN. — President Obama will give an economic speech in Osawatomie, Kan., Tuesday at a location the White House says it was very specific in picking and was meant to stir echoes of President Teddy Roosevelt.

Roosevelt spoke in the very same town more than 100 years ago on Aug. 31, 1910, where he presented his vision for America and the coming 1912 election.

Sound familiar?

That’s by design.

The White House says it spent a month planning and choosing this location and that there are parallels between how working class families felt then and now.

And of course Obama will use a teleprompter, just like Teddy did for his speech that was entitled “New Nationalism” (or “Old Socialism” depending on how you look at it).

I join the White House in hoping that there are plenty of parallels between the two situations — Teddy Roosevelt went on to get his ass kicked in the 1912 election.

Obama speech update: The Unraveler-in-Chief warns of the “unraveling of the American dream.”

Comments

35 Responses to “Obama Channeling Teddy Roosevelt in Kansas Today”

1. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 3:31 pm

I was gonna mention that Teddy lost, but you beat me to it. I guess that`s why you get the BIG Bucks, right ? ;-)

I raise my coffee mug in a toast to those continued parallels of failures.

At least Teddy looked like a man while destroying the country !

2. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 3:51 pm

The only parallel 'I' see is that O'doofus & Crony-co perceive the American public is about as 'informed' as they were on Aug. 31 1910?

We've had them COLD on Soilyndra, Gunstroller, Porkupork and you NAME it! Weeks even months before making the SteamingPileMedia. For something so 'exhaustively' researched, they could've rented "There Will Be Blood" for a $1 from Redbox to see all the 'parallels'.

Now Daniel Plainfield! There's a guy I could VOTE for..!

3. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 3:56 pm

As someone noted at MM`s this morning (was that you ?) the right bloggers have kept us very well informed indeed. T`ain`t much slippin` past `em !

4. Hyperfobea on December 6th, 2011 4:12 pm

Yeah, but let's just hope that after Teddy Barry Obamavelt gets his heinie handed to him that we don't get another Uncle Woody. Or do ya think history will repeat itself in that regard as well?

5. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 4:22 pm

"Obamavelt and Uncle Woody", heh heh, nice !

I want Barry Soebamatoro to lose in unprecedented fashion along with all his cronies and band members and I hope his bike gets two flats and the seat falls off…. !

6. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 4:32 pm

SPG,

I say a 'lot' of things but yeah that was me. I'm now of the opinion NO conservative circle of friends should be without a Conservative Blogaholic! NO workplace. NO church etc.

Quick example, my little Guard unit has about 800 G.I's. My shop is maybe 20. Since it's a younger crowd when I first transferred over 2 years ago, while generally conservative, they were in "Well let's 'see' what this guy 'does'?" mode.

Just to show the *power* behind (1) PTB Reg. Reader there are now (0) noseholders. Any younger officer or "open minded" NCO would have such an uphill battle converting opinion it just wouldn't be worth the effort. What they know about Soilyndra/Gunstroller etc. they know THRU ME!

People tend to believe the (1st) source they hear and Libs have been beating us to the punch for.., uh… the last 20 years?

7. Truesoldier on December 6th, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Doug for the comparison pictures…..Now I need to clean my monitor (again).

8. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 4:39 pm

You be gots teh "atta boys" pilin` right up there lad ! Great good on ya !

20 yrs ? How long ago was Walter "The 21st Century" Cronkite givin` us the "truth" about the Vietnam war ?

Yeah, point taken; the left has had the majority in the msm for at least that long ……

9. Pasadena Phil on December 6th, 2011 4:48 pm

What that interview boils down to is: Newt defines "small government conservatism" to be big government that "empowers the individual by giving them choices". He makes the same arguments defending ObamaCare and RomneyCare while claiming to be against them as well as the "right wing engineering" in the Paul Ryan plan. He is very clever but it doesn't parse when analyzed in writing.

I just don't see how voting Republican will change anything for the better. The only choice we have is to vote FOR the status quo, or AGAINST it. Of course, not a single vote has been cast yet and I don't buy into the phony argument that it is down to Romney vs Gingrich.

10. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 4:58 pm

11 months to go ! Bachmann and Santorum are the most conservative candidates right now. They "can" climb in the polls ….

11. Pasadena Phil on December 6th, 2011 4:59 pm

Now you're talking! Not a single vote has been cast yet and everyone is already holding their noses. Where is the fighting spirit?

12. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 5:10 pm

SPG,

Thanks, but you can't 'sell' young people or G.I's on anything. It's a fool's errand. What they WILL listen to are unbiased facts. Still, it's an old school sales 'process'. You build your credibility (1) recco at a time.

'I' told you all this blather about "Green Jobs" was nothing but a Green "Boondoggle"! Let me ask you Airman Smith, do YOU know anyone gainfully employed in ahem.., 'Alternative Energy'?

Well gosh, now that you -mention- it!? So it's a tedious painstaking process. I'll ADMIT, I'm a lot more concerned about surrounding myself with like minded people and creating a Conservative Oasis than "saving the country!" at this point.

It's true, I don't want to spend my last few years before retirement ( or God forbid going on a Deployment ) armpit deep in faux Lib 'tolerance' and limp wristed excuse makers. So shoot me!

13. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 5:12 pm

I don`t feel I`d be holding my nose for either B or S, but Newt, yes, and RomneyScare fer sure ! Gengrich is such an open question; can he be trusted to do what he says ?

I`ve never seen an "Against" or "Making a Point" box on a ballot …… I can only do all I can before and during the primaries to get the most conservative candidate possible and then vote for that candidate in the GE.

I think I get your points, Phil, but I will not throw away my vote for the latest Perot or Nader ! When a good 3rd (2nd as you say) party is established w/ good candidates that can sweep the nation with support, I see it as David against Goliath without the power of GOD behind him !

14. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 5:15 pm

That`s yeoman`s work your doing, one airman at a time ! (How`s that for cross-service analogies ?)

15. Pasadena Phil on December 6th, 2011 5:23 pm

I've never seen a "holding nose" or "not holding nose" box on a ballot either. If you vote for a liberal, you are a liberal. If you eat meat, you are a carnivore. If you molest children, you are a child molester. Simple rule. If you don't support the status quo and want your vote to count, stop guaranteeing to the status quo that you will vote for whatever candidate they throw at you. They have no reason to care what you think when they already have your vote.

I keep making this point but it just goes right past people. If enough people vote "none of the above", for instance all of the self-described "conservatives" who always pass over the conservative candidate to vote for the "electable" Republican liberal, conservatives would be a force.

Unfortunately, it's exactly as Mark Steyn says, "conservatives" always vote for liberals once they step into the voting booth. So why complain? Who listens to someone whose vote is automatic? If your vote is not at risk, you have no voice. You are just standing in the way of people like me who would be fighting liberal Democrats if the Republicans would get out of the way and stop blocking for the Dems.

If you vote liberal, you ARE a liberal. If everyone who claims to vote conservative would stop voting for the enemy, we would win in a landslide. But "conservatives" only vote for status quo liberals. There is no arguing your way out of that. It's dead on true. It's not going to change until "conservatives" smarten up or face the possibility that maybe they are just spineless whiners that no one cares about anymore.

16. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 6:04 pm

Perhaps a pertinent question is, "Is it better to start a new party or improve an existing one ?"

17. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey.., and it's a SCARY feeling! ( Well, at least initially? )

Case in point: I won't be re-registering my Securities Lic. of almost 20 years for 2012. Finally came to grips w/ the ugly reality The System will NEVAH change from 'within'.

The Retail Securities Model is so hopelessly broken, many of us are moving on and creating our OWN. We're no longer standing around waiting for 'consent'. I'll manage my OWN account, sell off my remaining book and put together a private equity group. No more NASD/FINRA..!

Phil, I don't know WHAT is on the other side? Guess I'll find out. It's just a matter of setting your fear aside and honestly ASKING yourself ( How much worse could it be? )

Is that kind of what you were driving at? GOD is it a liberating feeling! At the very least you'll know you're no longer an enabler?

18. Pasadena Phil on December 6th, 2011 6:34 pm

That is exactly what I am saying. We can still vote our way out of losing our freedoms but not if "conservatives" (gag me) insist on confining themselves to the two pro-status-quo options. Voting "none of the above" sure beats shooting people and getting shot when things turn desperate as they appear to be headed.

I don't know about you but I have been preparing for going off-grid if everything goes to hell and it is heading that way really fast the past few days.

Case in point about how bad things are:

The democratic process is being bypassed not just here but everywhere. We are already in the early days of global fascist government and the economic collapse seems inevitable. Our very own government is making the case to Europe for centralizing power and stripping European countries of their sovereignty (we are rediscovering why "bond" is the root of "bondage") while denying the citizens any say. The next step will occur when they return here and strip us of states rights as the concession to Europe and making all of the global government pieces fit. At that point, we will either see civil war or, as I expect, an epidemic of Quislings selling us out. We don't seem to be capable as a nation of "going Galt" anymore. We have become a country of liars and wimps.

Final point and it is a big one. We can't stop what is going on by simply exposing it. The media and legal process proceeds at a snail's pace for practical reasons: protecting of rights. We can't move fast enough to keep pace with what is going on. We either stop the government by breaking it or we hunker down for the misery heading our way soon.

19. Pasadena Phil on December 6th, 2011 6:43 pm

We've been trying to improve an existing one but keep failing because even when that party declares war on us, they can count on the nose holders to cast their automatic votes. We don't have the votes EVEN AMONG OURSELVES!!!

If conservatives really represent 40% of the voters, you don't think that 40% voting for "none of the above" (pick anyone who is not a Dem or Rep, that is "none of the above" if you still haven't figured it out), you don't think it would make a difference? If the two "major" parties had to win by splitting the remaining 60%, they would have to spend far more than the $2B they are planning on spending to win and the winning vote is going to be somewhere less than 1/3 of all voters. You don't think that make a difference? It doesn't take 40% to accomplish that. Perot proved that 20% will do it to.

20. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 7:08 pm

"IF", arguably the biggest word ! IF we could get a very nearly perfect conservative candidate very early on in the campaign process, had all the funds and outlets to get his message out AND IF all of our country`s conservatives banded together, then it would work.

I keep telling the RNC they get no money from me until AFTER they show a record of supporting Christian conservatives for political offices. They keep sending me their pleas for money poorly disguised as surveys; I keep filling them out and writing in the margins and every avail. open space what I expect from them. They never asked what I thought about Santorum, Bachmann or Cain, just Perry, Romney and Gengrich.

All Perot`s 20% proved to me was that 20% of those who bothered to vote were idiots. We got Clinton / Gore.

The Tea Party has proven that a grassroots movement can and does have influence on elections, so another grassroots movement involving them pushing ONE candidate can win the GE. Will they / WE select one candidate soon enough to do it this go-round ? I hope so !

The Tea Party is the vehicle, IMO.

21. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 7:09 pm

Phil,

And WHO will take the 'blame'? The reason GS, the Fed, the Banks feel they can ram down our throats at will is b/c, well The People GOT their bang for the buck during the Housing Boom! Hell, you name it, they GOT it!

Just buy a house w/ your rubber-stamped loan they'll give to anybody and within a year ( max ) you'll have all KINDS of 'wealth'! So they banksters go crying to the Gov. saying, Look, these people ran up their credit cards, got Harley's and b()()b jobs for their wives and GF's, took expensive vacations and now… they want to STIFF us!

Well, people like you have been modest renters for years! Sure, I took out HELOC's ( in the 90's!?!? ) So where the Elitist are concerned, we brought this on ourselves! The same logic applies for overly generous and unsustainable Pubic Employee compensation.

22. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 7:18 pm

O/T, for anyone interested in commenting at Hot Air, open thread for OPEN REGISTRATION tomorrow from 9:am till 4:pm …….

That is all …. carry on !

23. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 7:24 pm

SPG,

Here in OR we basically don't 'have' a GOP? So I don't catch as much hell as Phil does. In Cali many in the old guard still think it's viable.

But I agree w/ Phil, Simply 'exposing' the Audacity of Rope that's been playing out won't cut it. We have to become very VERY vocal and show these clowns without America hitting on all eight cylinders, all you've managed to commandeer was a clunker that won't make it to the next off ramp.

As an individual, I've taken incredible amounts of heat. Incredible. But that's what it's going to take. I can easily see a day soon where some Prog think tank will make a recco. ( they already have ) to expropriate virtually all IRA retirement acct. dollars!

For our own 'good' of course. Think about, one call to Fidelity and once call to Vangard and that's 80% of America's retirment dollars X-prop'd in 30 mins. by executive fiat. We, Doug, Michelle can scream at the top of our lungs. ( Townhall actually HAS for some time now )

24. backwoodsconsr on December 6th, 2011 7:51 pm

How did you get a heads up on that?

25. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 7:54 pm

Interesting; if they do grab the IRAs and suspend elections, whoooeeee ! There`s gonna be some shootin`s !

We just had redistricting in NC; Asheville, which is the 5th largest city in the state and the largest in WNC, WAS in the 11th district (incl me to the west). Now, A`vl is "partly" in the 10th. You should hear the libs squealing ! The 11th was / is predictably dem leaning and the 10th is r leaning. A`vl is d leaning. NOW, they have to WORK !! It`s funny to read about and D candidates for the 10th are coming out of the woodwork …. fascinating !

26. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 8:02 pm

letget on MM

Geez, that looks cryptic! Just BE there! Somebody REMIND me if I'm slackin' off on that!?

27. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 8:07 pm

`Zackly ! Thanks M_W !

I don`t read there as much as I used to, but having the option to comment over there could be neat !

28. Marshall_Will on December 6th, 2011 8:07 pm

Ha! Most excellent. Check out the link I left from ThePeoplesCube on MM. Or just go there direct. Funny schtick on vote buying.

Yeah, expropriating IRA's ( cuzz' Wall Street's all 'corrupt' and all ) is for our own good! They start out by saying how the 401K Ret. Plans have failed the avg. American and "if only the Gubmint was in CHARGE of that then at least you'd know you were being looked after!" blah blah.

I view that as the precursor to more soft coup moves. Hell, by that time they've got about everything but 10% of your wallet ( walking around $ ) so they figure we'll elect to just go all in?

29. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 8:11 pm

Yep, I read that a few minutes ago; funny stuff as always !

My Sis and BinL lost half their retirement already to Bawney and F&F. They`re looking forward to huge downsizing. They have some decent options IF two properties sell.

30. backwoodsconsr on December 6th, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm over there constantly. They do a great job of staying on top of breaking stories. I've been registered over there since January 2008. I don't comment at MM as much as I used to but I still check in every day. Lately, this place has been the most fun.

31. SignPainterGuy on December 6th, 2011 8:14 pm

Tis why I call this HOME !

32. backwoodsconsr on December 6th, 2011 9:31 pm

My job takes me into contact with numerous and politically diverse people. I try to do my part by telling them some of the things they won't hear about from the Lame Stream Media. I also frequently invite them to learn for themselves by either suggesting they go to Hot Air or read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell. A few hours ago I told a couple of guys that Basic Economics would be the best 20 bucks they would ever spend. I think I got their attention.

33. OK_Loyalist on December 6th, 2011 10:08 pm

That would be the Phildo

34. Hyperfobea on December 7th, 2011 9:16 am

speaking of seat, I can commiserate with that one (we all can … yes we can)

35. The Zoo Keeper on December 7th, 2011 4:05 pm

Just a little retro, hippie love for our OWS friends and their Class Warrior-in-Chief: http://bit.ly/sBCkh1