*****

A couple of days ago, our pal Zip over at Weasel Zippers asked this question about an intact US stealth drone that Iran now has in its possession: “Can someone please explain to me why we didn’t bomb it once it hit the ground instead of letting the Iranians get their hands on top secret technology?”

The answer to why it wasn’t destroyed? President Obama didn’t want to:

“With early knowledge that the aircraft had likely remained intact, the senior U.S. official also told Fox News that President Obama was presented with three separate options for retrieving or destroying the drone. The president ultimately decided not to proceed with any of the plans because it could have been seen as an act of war, the official told Fox News.”

“Among the options the U.S. considered were sending in a special-ops team to retrieve the drone; sending in a team to blow up the aircraft; and launching an airstrike to destroy it.”

We don’t know all the details of course, but my first instinct is to ask where the hell President “Gutsy Call” was on this one?

Maybe Obama’s thinking is that if we’re not careful the Iranian regime might hate the United States. Yeah, we sure don’t want that to happen.

We already know that Obama doesn’t think it’s fair that the US and its allies keep secrets from other countries, so this also could have been his way of leveling the playing field. Who knows.

Enjoy your new stealth drone, Iran.

Comments

15 Responses to “So, How Did Iran Get Their Hands on an Intact US Stealth Drone?”

1. SignPainterGuy on December 11th, 2011 2:16 am

Well, it goes without sayin`, Obumble is inept beyond belief, so it`s no surprise that he doesn`t want to sneak in and rescue OR sabotage the drone nor does he want to bomb it. I`m going with my fantasy that no one committed treason by flying it in intentionally to give the Iranians a chance at a level playing field, that the drone is actually a fake filled with cameras and microphones to watch the Iranians have organgisms thinking they have our stealth technology !

2. patti on December 11th, 2011 3:52 am

Well, that's an interesting fantasy theory you have there SignpainterGuy. Hope you're right and I'm wrong. You know I ALWAYS think the WORST when little Barry is involved. lol
    Been looking for you over at HA…..did you hear they had 4100 people sign up?
    No wonder it took forevah to get a password.
    Ed said the support staff is in pretty bad shape.
    Hillbuzz has a transcript of the debate posted if your interested.
    Green-eyed Lady

3. backwoodsconsr on December 11th, 2011 7:49 am

Tell me again why so many people are convinced Obama is a great leader. I keep forgetting.

4. Dandapani on December 11th, 2011 11:21 am

Treason?

5. backwoodsconsr on December 11th, 2011 12:09 pm

I doubt we could convict him on it. It's too thin. He could claim incompetence instead and the evidence would be overwhelming.

6. Doug on December 11th, 2011 12:23 pm

I would have assumed that these drones would contain some sort of self-destruct device that would destroy any of the sensitive tech on board in the event it was taken down intact. But I guess not.

Either that or I'd let one be taken on purpose, wait for Ahmadinejad to come and personally inspect it, push a button, and bye-bye Mahmoud.

7. clu seatoe on December 11th, 2011 1:04 pm

Everyone’s assuming the worse and that may be so, but under the stated circumstances, how do we know it wasn’t sent in there for misdirection and/or misguidance?

We do know that a high majority of Russian and Chi-Com arsenal technologies are copies of American development and they seem to have no brain trust for this sort of thing.

8. Pasadena Phil on December 11th, 2011 2:45 pm

What kind of sensitive technology might be on these drones that can't be acquired elsewhere? Data can be destroyed remotely without exploding the drone itself. Much of our technological secrecy concerns the processes and equipment needed to produce the materials and devices, not the materials and devices themselves.

I'm inclined to go with SPG and clu and their theory that this might have been another distraction to entertain the nuts in Iran while their missile launch and nuke fuel facilities keep mysteriously blowing up and nuke scientists keep getting offed. Not to mention all of those defective parts that keep malfunctioning while persistent computer viruses infect critical systems.

Things aren't going well for Iran. Maybe this will divert some of their resources to exploit the drones for….. what? Spying on us?

9. SignPainterGuy on December 11th, 2011 3:51 pm

I commented on two of the "reg. threads", but nothing else yet. I will eventually. I`m not surprised the tech team had a time getting everyone thru, 4,100, whew ! I still wonder how many MM signed up when we did; it had to be a slew !

Thanks for the heads-up on the transcript; I missed the first part. During one of Perry`s Oblamer rips, the feed stopped, I switched my TV to ABC (I was watching a Christmas movie), and the TV was on commercial. It made me wonder if ABC was hurting from all the candidates foiling Diane and George`s attempts to keep the panel sniping at ea. other by turning it around to hammer Obumble. At least that part was entertaining !

10. Doug on December 11th, 2011 4:00 pm

If it's an actual working intelligence drone, rest assured there are more than just Iranians inspecting it by now for clues on how to detect it, ways to hack it, and whatnot. Iran's got buddies.

Or it could just be a dummy, but if it is they've figured that out by now — or am I giving them too much credit?

11. Pasadena Phil on December 11th, 2011 4:12 pm

What technology can possibly be in these drones that the Chinese haven't already stolen from us or GE given away? While you and I may get shot trying to enter Area 51, I don't get the idea that protecting our critical technology is as high on our government's list of priorities as it used to be.

Besides, as we saw with the development of the nuclear bomb in the first place, there are no secrets in science. Our advantage has been historically derived from being on the cutting edge and committing more resources to innovate around new technologies and deploy them on a large scale than anyone else. Just my opinion. I have no special insights on this. I just read a lot.

12. clu seatoe on December 11th, 2011 5:26 pm

It doesn’t seem likely that Iran will benefit much other than financially from other governments from this because they love their place back in the sixth century too much.

If any religious leader says that a member of their intelligentsia has offended their god in any way, the government just shoots him and/or he disappears. A government can’t stay on top the technological heap by killing off their own technocrats.

If the Iranian sixth century dummies can even get the thing open with anything other than a hammer or a gun won’t they be surprised to see “Made in China” on the components.

13. Marshall_Will on December 12th, 2011 1:53 pm

Then there's the obvious "What would the MSM have said had this happened under Boooosh!?"

I worked at the very advent of this program and they were basically large scale RC planes. And why wasn't "This One's For YOU!" stencilled on the side? You'll recall when a U.S Navy P-3 Orion was forced to make a ditch landing in China, beakers of acid were deployed to render snooping technology useless.

Even in the very early days, there was an abort/self-destruct mode. The operator initiated the process but higher authority was req. to complete the code. To show how far we've come, the original carrier-based RPV's ( Remote Pilot Vehicle ) had a spring tension 'cat' and (2) motorcycle disk brakes for an "arresting gear".

14. Scott on December 16th, 2011 1:45 am

According to sources the drone stores all its info and hardware on the bottom of the plain which was most likely destroyed and that's why it is not shown.

15. peacemaker on January 5th, 2012 10:12 pm

trojan horse ?

last i read , iran was attempting to sell to the highest bidder , but , the only payment they are interested in , is nuclear tech