So, what’s your take on this?

“If you have a big government progressive, or a big government progressive in Obama… ask yourself this, Tea Party: is it about Obama’s race? Because that’s what it appears to be to me. If you’re against him but you’re for this guy [Gingrich], it must be about race. I mean, what else is it? It’s the policies that matter.”

Beck should be careful… if he’s going to assume a Tea Partier who might end up pulling the lever for “big government progressive” Gingrich over “big government progressive” Obama is doing so purely for racial reasons, then said Tea Partier might return the favor and assume that Beck’s playing of the race card against the Tea Party means he’s decided to align himself with big government progressives such as Nancy Pelosi, Andre Carson and John Lewis. The “wheel of accusations” goes round and round.

I have my problems with Newt Gingrich. If his name is on the ballot, this is the vision that will be in my head — but to say there’s “no difference” between Gingrich and Barack Obama is a stretch. For Beck to say that people who might be of the opinion that Gingrich would be better for America vs. Obama (or “less catastrophic” if you prefer) are racist just because he happens to believe there’s no difference between the two is a nasty blanket charge for one man to base on his personal opinion. And it’s a dangerous one for a man who sells so many books and website subscriptions to Tea Party folks.

*****

Update: Beck says he’d consider voting Ron Paul in a third party instead of Gingrich as the GOP nominee. I’ve gotta agree with Ace on this one.

Comments

22 Responses to “Glenn Beck: Tea Partiers Who Would Vote for Gingrich are Racist; Updated

1. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 2:12 pm

The line Beck often has trouble seeing is his tendency to assume that he is a Tea Party leader. It's like when he was playing cute with his statements inferring that there were people who were begging him to fill in the Tea Party vacuum of leadership on the national level. There was no such thing going on and so it backfired among us Tea Party people who are trying to keep it a grassroots movement. We are not interested in hitching our fate to the wagon of one ambitious opportunist.

I like Beck and see him as a consistent source of important information for conservatives but he has a streak of vainglory. He is obviously ambitious but tries to hide behind a mask of humility like the patriot presidents before Andrew Jackson who were desperately ambitious but had to pretend to be humble gentleman-farmers who would make the sacrifice and serve their country if called by their countrymen to do so.

2. Hyperfobea on December 12th, 2011 2:46 pm

Beck reminds me of the caricatures in South Park. Sometimes he's funny, occasionally astute, but more often just a blithering idiot on a soap box. The comic relief factor, however, is quite high, even when he's spewing his lunacy.

He can have Romney and the rest of the RINOs, Gingrich included. Now that Cain seems to be out of the picture, I'll take the only remaining patriot. Ron Paul.

3. SignPainterGuy on December 12th, 2011 3:48 pm

Zilla broke this story (for me) yesterday at her Facebook page, "ANTI-CRAPTASTIC". It appeared to me, because I have listened to Glenn for years, that this statement had been taken out of context.

This morning, Glenn and Stu reminded listeners that he has been consistent at telling us the Tea Party is NOT racist. He gave this story the 2 minutes rebuttal it deserved. He blamed it on progressives in both parties.

4. Marshall_Will on December 12th, 2011 4:11 pm

However indelictaely 'put'.., Glenn has a point. One that's been made here and elsewhere numerous times. Not to read into his intentions but identifying a clear GOP candidate this early in the game spells cakewalk for Dims.

Glenn's just evening the odds a little by reigning in "The Rise of Newt" Still, as a TP member, I do NOT appreciate his linking the terms racist & TP whatsoever! Abstract ref's aside Glenn, you oughta' know, "Don't Feed The Trolls" ( or dim's in this case? )

5. Glenn Beck: ‘Tea Party folks supporting Gingrich racists’? « BUNKERVILLE | God, Guns and Guts Comrades! on December 12th, 2011 5:16 pm

[...] Party folks supporting Gingrich racists’? December 12, 2011 — bunkerville  Doug Powers has a take down on Beck who stopped by Judge Napolitano. I found it as offensive/disturbing as [...]

6. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 5:27 pm

Don't read my comment to mean that I think Beck is a kook. He predicted most of what is now happening at least two years ago and laid out much of the "Culture of Corruption" landscape that Michelle did. But considering that Gingrich provides a target-rich environment for criticism, Beck didn't have to introduce that kind of imagery. Gingrich is at least as bad as Romney on EVERYTHING and I don't like anything about Romney.

I won't be voting for either. That is not why I made the time to get involved with the Tea Party. If I had known that my fellow "conservatives" had so little spine that they would again be holding their noses for a liberal Democrat, I never would have bothered. I'd love to be fighting the Democrats but I can't. They are always being guarded by Republicans.

7. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 6:06 pm

If ANY liberal becomes the GOP nominee and Ron Paul runs 3rd party, I also will vote for Paul. I refuse to buy into the "anyone but Obama" kool-aid. If Obama getting re-elected is so-o-o-o-o-o-o dangerous, why is the GOP establishment opting to war against conservatives rather than negotiate with us? Can there be worse alternatives to Obama than the liberal Democrat "front runners" being shoved down our throats?

Paul may not be perfect but he is right on the most important issue of all: the US constitution. If he wins, we will at least know that we finally have a president who is serious about shrinking government back to what the constitution allows. If it results in Obama winning, don't blame us conservatives. Blame the corrupt GOP establishment.

We couldn't have made it more clear why 7-8 million conservatives stayed home in 2008 while who knows how many voted for Obama. They warred against us which reinforced our view that there is no meaningful difference between Obama and these globalist RINOs. We don't want to be on that bus when it goes over the cliff regardless of who is driving. And there are a lot of us out here who feel that way and we are growing. The GOP is shrinking and expecting to replace disgruntled conservatives with disgruntled Democrats is a bad idea. But the GOP is all about bad ideas isn't it.

8. Hyperfobea on December 12th, 2011 6:36 pm

Well stated, Phil.

9. backwoodsconsr on December 12th, 2011 8:10 pm

Ron Paul may be the only person who could get me to stay home on election day, if it were only a choice between him and Obama. Paul is as insane on foreign policy as Obama is on economics.

10. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 8:26 pm

Hold that thought and dwell on it for a while.

Now you understand the problem we Tea Party conservatives are struggling with. It's not about replacing Obama with anyone else. It's about corrupt and entrenched one-party government and voting for Obama, Romney or Newt is voting to keep that in place.

Beck's point that on policy Obama and Newt are virtually identical was dead on. And Newt is being sold to us as the "conservative" alternative to Romney? No thanks. The GOP can and MUST do better. There is still time.

If Paul is the only one who will not drive us over the global bankruptcy cliff the global government that will "save" us, he ha my vote. Paul isn't perfect but perfection is the enemy of the good isn't it? I'll vote for the flawed candidate if we can return to limited government operating within constitutional; boundaries where my rights are restored rather than to any candidate committed to fulfilling the elite establishment a tyrannical one-world-without-borders dream of global government.

If the GOP wants my vote, fix that. It's not complicated. Otherwise, I WILL vote 3rd party whether or not Ron Paul is on the ballot. Better yet, let's get Bachmann or Santorum to be the GOP candidate. How about it? For once, how about giving conservatives SOMETHING! Just once!

(Remember Tea Party candidate Joe Miller who won the GOP nomination in AK only to have the Rovian progressives fund and otherwise support the corruptocrat he defeated? I do. And there are several others.)

11. backwoodsconsr on December 12th, 2011 9:04 pm

The field is a disappointment, but I'm with Doug and Ace on this one. If you want to see the GOP go down in defeat, why not just go ahead and vote Democrat and get it over with. Victory for the Democrats is all a third party vote can accomplish.

The efforts to reform the GOP may not have been successful yet, but as someone famously said, "Never retreat. Just reload."

12. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 9:25 pm

If you want to see your precious Republicans win thus ensuring victory for global fascism, go ahead. Just don't blame us conservatives for refusing to fulfill the Republican fantasy that they are entitled to the conservative vote no matter what.

You Republicans have really painted yourselves in a corner this time. You may very well have found a way to lose to the most unpopular national politician ever. It's November 2010 California all over again. Congratulations.

Of course, instead of warring against us conservatives, maybe you will consider begging for our votes. You will derive no satisfaction in blaming us for your bad decisions that led to your defeat. We have been warning you for years. You picked the wrong horse. Suck it up and accept responsibility.

13. backwoodsconsr on December 12th, 2011 9:45 pm

You're starting to turn this from a friendly debate into a flame war. If you want to get emotional and start trying to insult people, I'll walk from you and wash my hands of you.

14. SignPainterGuy on December 12th, 2011 10:25 pm

15. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 11:06 pm

Tell me Gingrich doesn't sound exactly like Obama in this attack on Romney

There are enough things I don't like about Romney but his past as a successful venture capitalist is not one of them. This shows that Gingrich has no idea what capitalism is about nor the important role venture capital firms play in creating jobs. Most of the ideas they invest in take time, money but end in failure anyway. That doesn't mean they destroy jobs, it means that a lot of their investments are not viable … but venture capitalists give them a chance to find out.

16. Pasadena Phil on December 12th, 2011 11:39 pm

There is no "flame war". In my mind, it is still a friendly debate. I am trying to reconcile your logic with the fact that we are out of time. We failed utterly as conservatives to gain an inch while keeping our struggle within the Republican Party. Now it is almost too late. We don't have until 2016.

If there is to be a victory for the GOP in 2012, it is important that the "victors" feel the emptiness and ambivalence that comes from prevailing despite screwing everyone who voted for you. We haven't cast a single vote yet but it all has the feel of inevitability.

The idea of a major celebration at a Gingrich or Romney victory over Obama must not happen. Replacing one lying Democrat prog with a lying Republican prog is not a victory. That is only possible if we stay angry and remember why we are angry. We have lost that feeling. We have transferred all of our frustration to Obama who certainly deserves plenty of blame but we are returning to power the very people who were taking us in this direction in the first place. We should be outraged.

17. Doug on December 13th, 2011 12:50 am

2012's gonna be a LONG year… fun, but long. No shortage of topics though, that's for sure.

18. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 5:45 am

Directing your anger toward me will get you nowhere. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, your previous post was dripping with vitriol. Anybody who addresses me in such a manner is unlikely to convince me of anything. In any future dealings with me, I'd suggest you remember that.

My opinion of a third party is that to be sucessful, it would have to be built from the ground up, electing enough candidates to lower offices to make a national effort more formidable.

With such a poor crop of presidential candidates to choose from, the best hope for conservatism may be in Congress. Too many people focus on which party holds the presidency and pay little or no attention to what goes on in Congress. That's why so many people lay the blame for the economic decline of the last two years of the Bush administration at the feet of Republicans, not noticing that control of Congress shifted to the Democrats.

19. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 6:04 am

Thank goodness we've got you around to help keep us laughing.

20. Pasadena Phil on December 13th, 2011 2:16 pm

The vitriol was not directed at you but at the situation in general. I am frustrated with not only the politicians but the so-called "conservatives" who so easily transition from foaming at the mouth outrage to again voting for the latest GOP liberal. We don't deserve to win.

As to 3rd party, I voted for Perot twice and consider my 1992 vote that to be one of the best votes I ever cast. It derailed the Bush globalist program for 8 years. The 3rd party candidate doesn't have to win to affect positive change. He just has to make a big enough impact to embarrass the establishment's plans. If we can't take power outright (and with the GOP, we can't even get them to talk to us), let's derail the train so that we have the establishment's attention. That is doable next year.

21. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 2:55 pm

22. maladroit on December 13th, 2011 5:06 pm

I personally don't think Newt can beat Barry. But I believe Romney can. I also like Romney's experience as a business leader.
    Not that I really want Romney… I'd rather see Bachmann on top…(ha ha) but I am among the lemmings who will vote just to defeat Obama and his jumping-jack wife.