Somewhere Mitt Romney’s saying “Why didn’t I think of that?”

From The Hill:

Conservative radio host Michael Savage is offering Republican presidential frontrunner Newt Gingrich $1 million if he drops out of the GOP race within the next 72 hours, according to a message on his website.

“Newt Gingrich is unelectable. Mitt Romney is the only candidate with a chance of defeating Barack Obama, and there is nothing more important than that for the future health, safety, and security of the United States of America,” the statement read. “Therefore I am offering Newt Gingrich one million dollars to drop out of the presidential race for the sake of the nation.”

I’m not even going to check, but I’m guessing there are laws against declared candidates accepting seven figure sums just to drop out of races. But I’m pretty sure there aren’t any laws against radio hosts getting some free publicity for making the offer.

Sorry Michael… but I think Newt’s serious. He even just pledged “personal fidelity to my spouse.” Sounds like he’s in it to win it.

Update: Mark Levin offers Michael Savage $100,000 to get off the radio. Heh.

Comments

12 Responses to “Michael Savage Offers Newt Gingrich $1 Million to Drop Out of the Race”

1. backwoodsconsr on December 12th, 2011 11:20 pm

Is it too late for me to get into the race? I could use a million bucks.

2. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2011 12:02 am

Pffftt. Reminds me of Ben Stiller's schtick on Yakov Schmirnoff lamenting "break up of olt' Soviet Union..!" For so many of these "big picture" conservative talkers, Obama has been nothing shy of an absolute godsend.

While usually entertaining while stuck in traffic, they seldom bring any details or specific insight. They know the old media model is breaking down. A competent GOP Prez = End of talk radio.

Much prefer to hear a competent BLOGGER on an AM radio spot coupled w/ liveblog input. Hearing some blowhard day in/day out on what *they* think just ain't my bag. Never was.

3. Doug on December 13th, 2011 12:45 am

Your idea reminded me of a column I wrote a few years ago that sort of proposed a similar idea:

4. Joe Redfield on December 13th, 2011 1:19 am

How much do you suppose a certain incumbent would charge to go on permanent vacation? Ordinarily this would be ridiculous, but when the incumbent is a product of the, shall we say, 'ethically challenged' Illinois political Combine, you have to stop and ask: Mmight he actually do it?' and 'Could we possibly raise enough money?'. Yes, and Hell, Yes!

5. Pasadena Phil on December 13th, 2011 2:04 am

I wasn't surprised that Savage would come up with this stunt but the last thing I was expecting is that ihe is doing it to clear the way for Romney. Romney is a better human being than Gingrich but neither will reverse the globalist course we have been on for the past 20 years (at least).

6. Doug on December 13th, 2011 2:15 am

The last time I listened to Savage, which was probably six or eight weeks ago, he was firmly aboard the Cain Train. I wouldn't have guessed his next choice would have been Romney.

7. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 5:54 am

But would we be able to offer him more money than he can fleece from the taxpayers?

8. Hyperfobea on December 13th, 2011 9:56 am

Very true. While I've listened to my fare share of them all, the last hanger-on was Limbaugh, until Bush was elected. Then I tuned out. For 8 years. Just tuned back in after the Obama travesty for comic relief.

I doubt I am exceptional in that regard.

9. about on December 13th, 2011 11:37 am

Romney should drop out — FIRST!

10. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 2:25 pm

Right after Huntsman and Paul !

11. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 2:27 pm

It would seem to be a non-sequiter !

12. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2011 11:19 pm

Doug Powers said:

"The CBS Evening Blog" could be an enlightening venture into the future of news dissemination, but the network will hold firm and insist on a person who will secure the line that keeps the Big Media ship firmly in place, not drifting with the current of the times, as ratings continue to sink. History will show this is why they were called "anchors."

Visionary. In '04 I'd barely begun this 'blogging' thing? Primarily housing bubble/finance meltdown. Recall going into the '10 midterms NPR was smooching MM's backside spiffy clean BEGGING her to "Co-liveblog the Election Night!" to which she replied "Conservative Blogger to NPR: Buzz OFF!" ( para )

So who has the ideas ( audience ) and upper hand NOW Leftist scum!? The Professional Left may have beaten Conservatives to the punch on the technology front, but in the end it's about the message. It's about Truth.