Michelle M’s got a lot of reading about today’s west coast port shutdowns brought to you by your friendly local “Occupy” movement.

Here’s the most recent example of how the Occupiers are helping the “99 percent”:

Occupy protesters have shut down Terminal 5 and Terminal 6 at the Port of Portland, where hundreds of demonstrators turned out as part of a west coast-wide movement.

Port of Portland spokesman Josh Thomas said there will be “lost shifts, lost hours and lost wages” as a result of the closures. Some workers still turned up at the terminal gates, but were turned away.

“We’re trying to get the word out the best we can to let them know they will not be able to work today,” Thomas said. “Unfortunately, in some cases, that means they won’t get paid.”

The people who own these ports — the evil one percent — have insurance to guard against such losses. The 99 percent, not so much.

Way to stick it to The Man, occupiers!

*****

Wildly unrealistic hypothetical: If these were Tea Partiers how long would it have taken for them all to be arrested and for the ports to re-open?

Comments

17 Responses to “West Coast ‘Occupy’ Port Shutdowns Really Helping the 99 Percent”

1. Marshall_Will on December 12th, 2011 5:31 pm

Only in Portland Oregon can a dozen or so demonstrators "shut down" a commercial enterprise. In truth, like nearly every aspect of Port of P, the airport included, it is GOVERNMENT RUN…!

Holding a 'protest' is one thing, disrupting commerce another! Dirty little secret, this can only HELP our GOP contender, Rob Cornilles. Don't think I'll be remiss to mention this to supporters and fence sitters in the upcoming months.

I'm sure store shelves will be picked clean in NO time w/ the horrific 'impact' these a-holes have had?

2. backwoodsconsr on December 12th, 2011 7:15 pm

That protester thinks it doesn't look good for 10 years down the road so he's not going to wait that long. He's going to eff things up right now. Smaaarrt.

3. backwoodsconsr on December 12th, 2011 7:36 pm

The people who say the protesters will be allowed to remain so long as they are peaceful are being foolish. The minute they began interfering with the operation of the business they stopped being peaceful and should have been removed. I wouldn't put up with anybody getting in the way of earning a living.

4. Marshall_Will on December 12th, 2011 7:45 pm

Right, they can wave their signs and show truckers their 'collective IQ' as… they're driving by! You don't appreciate all the things democracy and capitalism has done for you. Duly noted. Now go get a job.

( Special added bonus for PTB Posters! ) It's f@cking FREEZING up here in Portland. I mean bone-chilling cold! Suffer you ditz's.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I left the Guard Base in an awful hurry yesterday and didn't even change out of my uniform. Stopped for a cup before braving The Pass and a guy younger than me thanked me for my service in Chemult, OR..! Guys, have you ever BEEN or -heard- of Chemult, Oregon?

Think Green Acres on steroids. Single wides, boarded up businesses, a wide spot in the road w/ an Amtrak station. About it. Doesn't matter, they're free! They lead their lives w/ pride and are grateful for all America has offered. These are Americans.

5. SignPainterGuy on December 12th, 2011 9:32 pm

Saturday, I drove by WallyWorld and there were a Marine and a County Deputy collecting donations for Toys For Tots. I pulled up close and flashed a 20, the Marine came over and took it, saying, "Thank you, sir !" I quickly countered, "NO, Thank YOU !" !!! He seemed a little surprised and pleased ! We wished each other a Merry Christmas ! The little guy in his dress-blues was barely taller than the bottom of my pick-up window (I`m 6'-3"), yet I felt like I was looking up to him !

Oh, and it was bone chillin` cold out there ! 38° and breezy in the bldg shadow !

6. Marshall_Will on December 12th, 2011 11:54 pm

Nothing sharper than a Marine in their dress blues. God love you SPG. I mean being 'most' conservatives are stingy a-holes and all?

7. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 5:52 am

I've taken to thanking the bell ringers for the Salvation Army for their efforts. They're engaged in genuine charity, not the government enforced kind that is the liberals' wet dream.

8. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 2:28 pm

:-)

9. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 2:29 pm

Heh heh, me too ! They often don`t seem to expect it !

One even thanked me for thanking her !

10. kate on December 13th, 2011 3:11 pm

If it's that cold in Portland, would this not be a good time for the fire co. to show up and hose these morons down!??

11. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 3:20 pm

I like your style.

12. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 9:14 pm

Maybe dump some foaming agent into the truck tank !

13. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 9:29 pm

Are you suggesting a bit of soap to help them clean up their act?

14. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 9:51 pm

Why yes, I believe I am ! They don`t seem to want to do it themselves; give them no choice ! Or only one option; FLEE !

15. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 10:00 pm

Did it again today, `cept this bell ringer was rather conversative ! Temp right at 60, little breeze, he was in the sunshine and in a really good mood !

16. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 10:02 pm

They probably already have fleas.

17. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 10:18 pm

Lice, lung crud, crotch rot, toe fungus …….. all those desirable infestations !