Donald Trump said he’s backing out of moderating an upcoming GOP debate because he’s still considering running for president as an independent. That and hardly Republican candidates were going to show up regardless.

From the Detroit News:

The real estate mogul announced Tuesday that he was stepping back in order to preserve the option of running for president in case he’s not satisfied that the eventual Republican nominee can defeat President Barack Obama. The conservative website Newsmax was to host the debate Dec. 27.

But the debate has been in jeopardy ever since Mitt Romney signaled he would not participate. Other candidates bowed out. Only Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum agreed to take part.

Trump’s announcement was absent The Donald’s usual flair for self-promotion. Just kidding — he got in a plug for his show:

The Republican Party candidates are very concerned that sometime after the final episode of The Apprentice, on May 20th, when the equal time provisions are no longer applicable to me, I will announce my candidacy for President of the United States as an Independent and that, unless I conclusively agree not to run as an Independent, they will not agree to attend or be a part of the Newsmax debate scheduled for December 27, 2011.

It’s a good thing somebody who might have a political agenda won’t be involved, and now we can get back to Republican debates being moderated by the always unbiased mainstream media.

Comments

20 Responses to “Trump Won’t Moderate Debate Hardly Anybody Was Going to Show Up For”

1. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 7:24 pm

You can't fire me, I quit!

2. Pasadena Phil on December 13th, 2011 8:35 pm

So now we've gone full circle with Trump terrifying the GOP establishment by indicating that he might run. My guess is that he still has the clout to show up in the polls strong against this GOP field of poindexters. Add to that the threat of Ron Paul winning in Iowa and finishing a strong second in NH and THEN running 3rd party, things are unraveling fast for the GOP establishment.

We are looking at the possibility of three independent candidates, two "Republicans" and one liberal. And then there is the upcoming Tea Party online primary involving 150,000 voters.

This is far from over. People should NOT be holding their noses yet. And the GOP deserves this mess they worked so hard to create.

3. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 9:00 pm

I quit my last truck driving job as the boss was firing me. A few days later I saw one of the other drivers who asked what happened. I `splained some details and said the boss fired me. He had a funny look on his face and `splained as how the boss had come into the driver`s lounge right after the incident with a puzzled look on his face saying, "He quit me !"

There are times when you can`t never always sometimes tell what just happened ! I think !

4. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 9:07 pm

Hannity had Bachmann on his radio show today. She said she didn`t agree to The Donald`s debate because only two had agreed and it would not have been a real debate ! I suppose she thinks being gotcha`d by the brain-trust of MSMDNC is much better and more "real" !

5. backwoodsconsr on December 13th, 2011 9:51 pm

You robbed him of the satisfaction of firing you? How dare you!

Hmmm….I wonder what it would have done to the ratings of Donald's show if someone had done that to him.

6. SignPainterGuy on December 13th, 2011 10:05 pm

Probably would have helped. It would have made a great show ad !

7. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2011 11:28 pm

Yeah and that doesn't look a THING like Michele Bachmann either? Here's where I'm different than today's bumper crop of fingers in the wind. When 'I' say something, whether I'm drunk, sober or hungover.., I STICK to it!

This total breakdown shows our primary to be every bit the popularity contest all that H & C bs was. If I was a candidate that agreed to show and sched. TIME for it, I'd be calling DT this minute saying Stand & Deliver Sir!

If 'I' am the only candidate that shows up, then you and I will have lots of time to talk. Tough t!tties Donald.

8. Marshall_Will on December 13th, 2011 11:36 pm

Wanted to mention we'd seen a fresh wave of new businesses on our last trip to S. Oregon. Had to be 20 or 30. Granted a number were likely the same old players but here's my theory:

Those that became Casualties in the First Wave of the Obamabataan Death March Economy have already had their hopes and dreams of salvaging their lives and futures dashed. Primarily real estate/construction/tech former employees using ( read pilfering in a last ditch effort to remain relevant ) from their retirement accounts to "try their hand at a business".

Most of the newer retail biz's we see cropping up are from the Second Wave. So let's not mistake these moat fillers for Obama's Proof Things Are Turning Around! They're not, just the walking dead, decapitated but still somehow on their feet.

Signing a lease and buying some merchandise so your wife gets off your back isn't the same thing as having the expectations you'll survive and thrive. This is about Burn Rate and nothing else.

9. Doug on December 14th, 2011 12:04 am

That's supposed to be Bachmann? Dayum, I thought it was Romney!

10. Marshall_Will on December 14th, 2011 1:11 am

At first glance I 'thought' it was..?

With, you know, your 'buddy'?

Actually the notion of having established conservative bloggers w/ realtime feedback was Granny's idea, not mine. I think she rec. say a Frank Luntz/Studio audience + a live feed from an identified demographic.

This way, if your blogger 'profile' simply doesn't fit the bill, better luck next time. It won't be a matter of who shouts the loudest/posts the most etc. If they're not soliciting opinions from 35-50 Conservative ( hetero ) White Males.., nothing personal but you're not the guy we're looking for!

11. SignPainterGuy on December 14th, 2011 1:20 am

….must like moonlight walks on the beach and have a mynah bird named Gabby ?

Is that specific enough ?

12. Marshall_Will on December 14th, 2011 2:49 am

I guess…, does she have a copy of "Sunday in New York"!?

The point I suppose is to avoid situations like Deep Blue & Double Stacked like NYC. Hell, we GET it! The same scenario that renders OWS more or less pointless..?

Yes, you're a White Male 20-something that has -zero- desire to engage in the mainstream. Btw I think the next 'demonstration' we should have the Guard air-drop inflatable sex dolls w/ pumps for Maximum Dispersing Effect. It'd be over in less than 3 minutes.

Place is like a Frank Zappa concert anyway? Then again, the Dims would probably register Mistress Helga to vote.

13. Hyperfobea on December 14th, 2011 9:16 am

Hey M_W, what state are you generally in when you lay comments on this blog?

14. Hyperfobea on December 14th, 2011 9:19 am

I like the idea of a cozy debate, i.e., 2-3 professional politicians. I disagree with such as this not being a "real" debate. How so? Because it makes it easier to tell who is the better liar?

15. backwoodsconsr on December 14th, 2011 10:18 am

It's easy to tell when a politician is lying, because his mouth his open. Telling who is the better liar may not be so easy.

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away."

16. Hyperfobea on December 14th, 2011 10:43 am

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away."

Only when the heart and mind are not one. How easily are you deceived.

17. clu seatoe on December 14th, 2011 12:35 pm

I really only have enough knowledge about that issue to speak about it for maybe thirty seconds and then I’m out of ammo. What kind of intellectual wizard do you think I am?

Hey, Trump, you try’nah make me look stupid?

18. Marshall_Will on December 14th, 2011 2:11 pm

Horizontal..?

No secret OWS admirer 'here'! Now if you'lll excuuuuse me, if the tarp is a' rockin' don't bother knockin'!

19. backwoodsconsr on December 14th, 2011 2:18 pm

I was waiting to see if "a state of drunkenness" entered into the answer anywhere.

20. Bryon Kores on June 26th, 2014 9:54 am