Kids who are overweight are being taken away from their parents, but wackos who put their four year olds on train tracks get to keep their kids and then are named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year. Go figure:

(h/t Weasel Zippers)

Comments

38 Responses to “‘Occupy’ Mom Puts 4 Year Old Daughter on Train Tracks — Somehow Wall Street is Being Taught a Lesson Here”

1. Marshall_Will on December 15th, 2011 1:03 am

Just because this woman ( who goes by the singular name "Lotus" ) must have been *14* when she delivered this child, placed an innocent toddler that should be in the custody of Child Protective Services in the very definition of harm's way, is NO reason to SMEAR the rest of us!

Good Lord, take an extreme and you'll see it pushed 'just' a little bit farther in Portland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg

Portland, a place where young people go to retire!

2. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 1:20 am

I`m like totally cool with her having faith in the engineer`s humanity to "try" to stop the train. I have complete confidence that he`d try. Occu-Mom and Co. probably think the train has ABS brakes …..

3. Pasadena Phil on December 15th, 2011 1:22 am

I hope I live long enough to learn how her daughter responds should she be asked twenty years from now what she thinks about her mom putting her on the tracks in front of a moving train.

4. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 1:31 am

I work around trains. I wouldn't put myself in the path of a train no matter how slow it was moving. As SPG says, the engineer can try to stop the train and will eventually be successful, but woe be unto anything that's too close to it.

I was talking to a railroad cop one day and he told me that in a meeting with local law enforcement even the cops had unrealistic expectations about how fast trains could be stopped. He showed them a chart detailing the stopping distances for trains at various speeds. It was a real eye-opener for them.

5. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 1:39 am

4 is old enough to remember things. In 20 years, as she exhales a toke, she`ll probably recall it as a really exciting time; one of her better formative moments !

6. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 1:55 am

When I was a kid, my Dad lettered a moving van next to the outer-most siding at the paper mill. I went onto the tracks and found tons of old spikes. I thought how lucky I was. I realized a few minutes later what a dangerous place it was when I just happened to straighten up and turn around. There was a boxcar rolling toward me within 15 ft. making no sound at all and no vibration. I WAS LUCKY !

7. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 2:04 am

Indeed you are. During switching operations, the conductor and the engineer are in contact with each other by radio. The conductor is able to let the engineer know when he needs to get in the path of the train so the engineer can take steps to make sure the train doesn't move. The average person doesn't have that and access to two-way radios with railroad channels is tightly controlled.

8. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 2:24 am

In this case, cars were uncoupled and shoved onto that siding and allowed to roll freely till they stopped on their own. They could only roll so far and would be pushed together and coupled later as a train was assembled. This was a single car (maybe two) rolling slowly. I saw it way off several minutes earlier, but couldn`t tell it was moving.

9. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 2:44 am

I figured that was what you were talking about. The first time I saw that happen it freaked me out. I didn't think a railroad car should ever be rolling freely without a locomotive attached to apply brakes to it. But the off-duty railroad crews I was with at the time didn't seem too concerned about it so I figured I shouldn't be either. It does point out how dangerous railyards are.

10. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 3:26 am

Too bad she has so little knowledge of the laws of physics. I've never seen a physics equation that had a place to factor in humanity. Perhaps she believes that Newton's First Law states that "An object in motion will remain in motion unless x amount of humanity is applied to it."

11. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 4:17 am

Hence, the reason rail-yards are often fenced and patrolled and trespassing laws are fairly strictly enforced.

This section of track is one of the few on property that isn`t fenced off. Never was, isn`t now ! As a matter of fact, one more siding has been added closer to the street and outside the one I was on.

12. Marshall_Will on December 15th, 2011 12:28 pm

Technical jargon aside, unfortunately, this is the most accurate post in the bunch! You uh, haven't been to Portland have you SPG?

13. Marshall_Will on December 15th, 2011 12:41 pm

My father and I were the black sheep. Everyone else in our family worked the rails. Chicago Northwestern and the Milwaukie Road. I spent my childood playing on the tracks. We ALL did.

I've heard said, if a railcar is moving slow enough, you can stop it by placing a penny on the tracks! Never had the guts to try it. And I've got quite a flattened penny collection.

The real fear here ( as was my mother's ) was that you'll get sucked under. Trains create a venturi effect as cut static air. Just stand at a safe distance and watch as they churn everything in their wake. How fast they need to be going to suck a 4 y.o under I've no idea. We should follow up on this story.

14. Marshall_Will on December 15th, 2011 2:04 pm

OT but WTF?

Where's the celebrations in the streets? The ticker tape parades?

The Extreme/Professional Left has been spoiling for this day since 9/11, and now The War is 'over'! Shouldn't there be a 2011 version of OWS People of the Year planting one on some nurse passerby on the cover of Time?

THIS is what they 'wanted'. The War, their Cornerstone of Discontent! Shiz.., this is passing without so much as a [single] popped cork! Again, wtf… over?

15. sizemorew on December 15th, 2011 2:51 pm

Basic laws of motion state that you don't want to be in front of a train when it's moving. It takes a lot of energy and time to stop once it gets going. The woman should have her daughter taken away from her for putting the child at such high risk.

16. Jimbo on December 15th, 2011 3:44 pm

Her wacko pseudo-faith is more important to her than the well-being of her child, let's just make that very clear. She probably marches to keep abortion legal too, so that her comfort, convenience and dreams won't be ruined by any unexpected children.

That's what children are for, right? To be used as props for our causes? To fulfill our own happiness, when we want it, how we want it?

Liberals, especially liberal women, are the most selfish creatures on the planet.

17. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 3:45 pm

I can`t speak for kids, but hats have fallen victim to the vacuum behind my truck.

As I rounded a left-hand curve, there was a Trooper standing on the white line at driver`s window. She had picked a bad spot to stop for the blue light. I moved over onto the center line, probably scared oncoming traffic. As I passed, I looked in my right-side mirror in time to see the Trooper`s campaign hat fly up in the air and then disappeared behind my truck.

18. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 3:47 pm

Heard on radio yesterday that the troop withdrawal is following Jr Bush`s schedule / time table. You don`t hear much at all about that ! Nope, it`s Little Barry`s doin` !

19. Marshall_Will on December 15th, 2011 3:53 pm

Now that you mention it, I never thought of all that inertia trying to buckle and occupy the same space at the same time? Likely resulting in numerous injuries/deaths to RR personnel.

As much as they try to keep the heaviest cars forward, lighter cars wind up in the mix and they're the first to jump the track when brakes are applied. After that, all bets are off.

We tend to forget but in the early days of steam/coal, over 250,000 men died keeping the train on time. Derailments daily. RR wives were just happy when their husbands DID come home for supper.

20. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 3:54 pm

I`ll bet`cha one of M_W`s flattened pennies that this "Mom of the Year" is totally unaware that each train engine weighs about 500,000 lbs and ea. car can weigh 400,000 lbs. x however many engines and cars. Looooooong stopping distance !

A tractor trailer weighs about 80,000 lbs; look how long it takes to stop one of those at speed !

21. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 3:58 pm

Oh, backwoods, you forget that leftists have the advantages of miracles, unicorn flatulence and a generous sprinkling of pixie dust ! ;-)

22. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 4:01 pm

That's why there's such a thing as right-of-way by tonnage. Only the foolish and ignorant ignore it. Just about every engineer I know who has been on the job for years has stories to tell of vehicles and people who were in the way of their trains. I've been aware of several instances just in the two years I've been on this job.

23. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 4:13 pm

Here is video from an Amtrak train that had a vehicle cross the track in front of it. Notice how far the train traveled before it stopped.

A second video shows the vehicle trying to beat the train through the crossing.

24. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 4:14 pm

Naw, I`ve been to 20 miles east of the Montana line in ND to a hunter`s lodge where I was greeted by a 9 ft polar bear, but that`s it !

I credit my underbestandin` to hard readin`, your excellent commentary and South Hominy Institute of Technology (school of hardnox) !

25. Doug on December 15th, 2011 4:37 pm

Wow… hadn't seen that before.

26. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 4:51 pm

I rode Amtrak from Spartanburg to Philly to Chicago to Detroit Lakes,MN. Two days, 3 nights, 3 trains. A great experience. Sleeping was restful (except when I was awakened when the train passed 100 mph downhill) and the meals eaten while watching the scenery go by at 80 mph was really cool. Jerry Clower said, "When the train pulls out, IT PULLS OUT !" He was right; they`re fast AND quick. Accelerating, not stopping !

The stop time was incredibly slow after the collision in the first vid. I noticed the white pickup pulled to the left at the crossing gate, till it raised. Was he going to drive around, or had he noticed the crash and was thinking of trying to help …. until he realized what he`d see if he got any closer ?

27. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 4:58 pm

There's another video somewhere in there that has a 911 call that seems to have come from him. I've noticed how much quicker the Amtrak trains leave the depot than the freight trains. They come in quicker too, but once up to speed they can't stop quickly either, even though they're not nearly as long or as heavy as the freight trains.

28. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 5:05 pm

While we're on the subject of trains, here is on that got hit by a tornado.

29. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 5:10 pm

Wee doggies, that was thrilling ! The crash was enough, but seeing the tanker car bouncing toward the camera was heart-stopping.

30. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 5:15 pm

Fortunately nobody got hurt, but yeah that tanker car coming at the camera bugged my eyes out too.

31. patti on December 15th, 2011 5:21 pm

Re Occu- Mom: Isn't it a wonder any libs children survive?? Yesterday while out shopping, I entered a store just in time to catch a 1 1/2 – 2 yr. old (?) little girl from falling out of a cart. * Mom* not paying attention, at all…and get this, she didn't even say… Thanks(for catching my child so she didn't crack her head open landing on the floor.) Nothing. She paid and we watched her leave….no surprise.. Obama sticker proudly stuck on the bumper of her Prius. :-)

32. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 5:24 pm

My BinL took us down to Sparkleburg. We had the first cabin from the end, but even though I hurried back to say good bye, the train was already out of the station !

Sorry folks, gotta tell this`n !

They set us out in Detroit Lakes, MN at 5:20 in the morning. I wondered why lights were shining under the train ……. and that rubber mat on the ground looked familiar, but I couldn`t quite place it … until the train pulled away. We were standing in the middle of the street, our mountain of bags on the ground, commuter traffic wishing we`d get out of the way !!

33. patti on December 15th, 2011 5:25 pm

Here's what the Times cover should have looked like.

34. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 5:51 pm

Good catch, patti-GeL !!! You did your part ! Too bad you weren`t in front as y`all went out the door so you could make her stop and watch as you dropped a bill in the Salvation Army bucket !

35. SignPainterGuy on December 15th, 2011 5:58 pm

All these OWSers poopin` everywhere on camera and apparently proud of it …….. Remember the expression, "The job`s not finished till the paperwork`s done" ? Sorry for being gross, but can you imagine the nasty rashes that must be hapnin about now ?!

36. backwoodsconsr on December 15th, 2011 6:00 pm

1. It would have annoyed her.
    2. She wouldn't have understood it. I mean, what kind of idiot gives to charity out of their own pocket?

37. Marshall_Will on December 15th, 2011 8:37 pm

Used to have a lot of clients that worked at Gunderson Railcar. Since they're basically dealing w/ terra firma ANY way ( what a few more tons if adds to the service life? )

Not that it matters but every month I get drive past the old tracks where "Emperor of the North" was filmed in '74? Lee Marvin at his best. Times when I take the Amtrak down you get to see every landmark from the movie. Really cool stuff.

38. Dandapani on December 18th, 2011 12:17 pm

Someone needs to identify "Lotus" and call Child Protective Services in her county and have her investigated immediately. Her child is endangered. Who knows what extremes Lotus will go to next! Remember, It's. For. The. Children!