You know there are libs who will actually lose sleep over this:

Congressional negotiators struck a deal Thursday that overturns the new rules that were to have banned sales of traditional incandescent light bulbs beginning next year.

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

Congressional Republicans dropped almost all of the policy restrictions they tried to attach to the bill, but won inclusion of the light bulb provision, which prevents the Obama administration from carrying through a 2007 law that would have set energy efficiency standards that effectively made the traditional light bulb obsolete.

The bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve.

And Al Gore wept and polar bears cannibalized (or is that polar bears wept and Al Gore cannibalized? … eh, whatever…).

For me this “light bulb ban” stuff is a case study in irony. If you say you want to ban trans fats, SUV’s, smoking, salt, incandescent light bulbs, and even spanking, the left lionizes you as a hero. If you say you want to ban books promoting homosexuality from your child’s elementary school library, you’re a Nazi scumbag.

In any case, light up those incandescent bulbs, America, and celebrate this bright, albeit possibly temporary, victory.

Comments

37 Responses to “Temporary Reprieve From Incandescent Light Bulb Ban”

1. backwoodsconsr on December 16th, 2011 1:15 pm

Hopefully, enough light can be shed on this subject that we can gain more than a temporary reprieve.

2. Pasadena Phil on December 16th, 2011 1:36 pm

So now China will have to find another place to export all of that mercury those GE plants generate over there. The next thing you know, they are going to ban the dumping of China's lead in American too! How are they ever going to achieve their Kyoto targets if those American capitalists won't let them get rid of it?!?!?!?!?

3. Yazsters on December 16th, 2011 1:49 pm

I believe I read the ocean shipping from China to the US of the fluorescent mercury filled bulbs offsets energy savings that could be had. Good to have the reprieve. It seemed bad policy to stop the use of the old Edison bulb. Not to mention the new bulbs are not as luminous, and generally unpopular with those that I know that have used them.

Maybe one day LEDs will be less expensive, and provide better lighting. Not to mention last longer! I've tried a few LEDs around the house and they almost always burn out to quick which is disturbing considering the high cost.

4. backwoodsconsr on December 16th, 2011 2:02 pm

"With all the problems the world faces, can you believe this is even in the realm of “important” issues?"

It is important in that it is an abuse of authority that touches our daily lives. I use light bulbs every day, and I much prefer incandescents. This is one step in what I hope will be a series of victories over the busybody mindset of the unhinged liberals who want to dictate our choices in everything we use, from lightbulbs that most people don't want, to cars that are smaller than golf carts, to low flow toilets that can't flush s***. It's high time somebody stood up and told them, "Enough! Go away!"

5. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 2:03 pm

I am so relieved and pleased our representatives in DC have finally gotten their priorities right !

Now, if the ban can actually be repealed, can the factories be restarted or have they been dismantled to the point that only China will make the old bulbs too ?!

6. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 2:08 pm

Yazsters said:

"I believe I read the ocean shipping from China to the US of the fluorescent mercury filled bulbs offsets energy savings that could be had."

You mean a 30 y.o Morse Fairbanks-powered freighter leaking as much as it's BURNING helmed by a Bahasa-Indonesian crew is somehow less 'efficient' than having made the Evil Incand 'here'? Here's where they all wind up btw:

7. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 2:12 pm

Back in the summer there was a story from L.A. about the "low flow" toilets. It seems the water saved was exactly what was needed to get the "flushables" thru the pipes. The city was suffering a rash of clogged pipes !

Ha haa haaaaa ! The busy bodies had to pay for their stupiditity !

8. backwoodsconsr on December 16th, 2011 2:16 pm

Boy, the unintended consequences really stunk that time.

9. Pasadena Phil on December 16th, 2011 2:24 pm

Not only that, LA instituted a program of assigning which days of the week people could water their lawns to save water. This caused a rash of major pipe ruptures (think geysers and massive sink holes) because the water mains are very old and couldn't take the constant swings in water pressure.

If you really want an example of stupidity to the extreme, read this LAT report on the disaster that is the bullet train project.

The proposal that secured over a trillion dollars of government funding and spent over $150 billion already was wrong on virtually everything! And as with T. Boone Pickens' wind/natgas boondoggle, there are no gains in efficiency. In the private sector, this never would have seen the light of da and I doubt that more than a few million would have been spent studying the "opportunity".

Do we really need more examples demonstrating what a bad idea it is to put the government in charge of ANYTHING?

10. backwoodsconsr on December 16th, 2011 2:31 pm

For a minute there I thought you were going to say they told people which days they were allowed to poop. I wouldn't put it past them.

"Honey, is it my day to use the square of toilet paper or yours?"

11. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 2:35 pm

Honey, what`s that thing you`re whittling ?

12. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 2:37 pm

Phil,

You haven`t mentioned that you surf; besides the no-swing temps, why is it you live in Cali again ?

13. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 2:38 pm

YUCK, that ain`t much of a fishing reef, is it ?

14. backwoodsconsr on December 16th, 2011 2:45 pm

Aw heck, just call it an abstract sculpture and it'll be considered a decoration.

15. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 2:47 pm

(think geysers and massive sink holes), I`ll bet the city water dept. isn`t as accommodating as here.

One winter, my waterpipe on the enclosed back porch froze and burst and gushed water for A WHILE ! Thousands of gallons. My neighbor noticed it and banged on my door to alert me. I shut off the main and
    I fixed it the next morning.

When I went to pay my bill and explained what happened, they would not charge me, wouldn`t even "let" me pay half. Beat that Cali !!

16. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 2:48 pm

Ha haa haaaaa ! The busy bodies had to pay for their stupiditity !

If only! Unfortunately, by design, we ALL pay for Prog-misadventures. One way or the other?

17. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 2:58 pm

SPG,

Prog-Nimbyism at its finest! Shipbreaking is the 'Global Community's" dirty little secret. The port pilots that intentionally run these broken vessels aground must feel like Pontius Pilate on a daily basis.

I've seen the footage. They hang their heads, choke back tears and ashamedly collect their eco-boodle. All graduates of the Joseph Hazelwood Maritime Academy for Washed Up Seamen.

18. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 3:01 pm

(think geysers and massive sink holes)

Ahem, how did we get from an ultra-affluent L.A where nearly every home had a 'pool' in the backyard to community swimmin' holes?

PHIL!?

19. Pasadena Phil on December 16th, 2011 3:10 pm

I don't subscribe to the proposition that Republicans and conservatives are the ones who have to leave. I like it here, have a good business, am involved in important community activities and have built a good life out here.

Besides, it's not the Dems who screwed up CA, it's the corrupt, spineless Republican surrender monkeys. And if you haven't already figured out, those same Republicans are in your state doing the same thing to you. Are you going to stand and fight or run away?

Conservatives tend to talk tough but solutions always seem to involve voting for liberals or otherwise running away to avoid a fight. If I flee CA, I'll only be moving to another place to flee from later because conservatives don't stand and fight.

20. Jimbo on December 16th, 2011 3:34 pm

Based upon the latest Restoration Hardware catalog (my barometer of liberal home fashion trends) the incandescent is now cool-looking. Them libs love them some "period" filament Edisons. So, nothing trendy should be banned, lest it hamper their sense of style. They would rip through piles of baby seals with their teeth if it got in the way of their cool.

21. Jimbo on December 16th, 2011 3:35 pm

God only knows. It takes so much time to build up industry and just one stupid law to kill it forever.

22. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 3:40 pm

I really did think you`d take that as merely the joke it was intended to be ! I`m aware of your efforts and applaud you for them, but gee whiz Phil, let up a little !

23. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 3:42 pm

Of course you`re right. I meant they are suffering the backlash and perhaps some embarassment, if not the actual cost themselves ! It would be neat if they could learn the lessen !

24. Pasadena Phil on December 16th, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm experimenting with the "INTENSE" Debate rating system. I figure if I intensify my posts, my score goes up faster!

Besides, as you have seen there are people who are positively psychotic in attacking me no matter what I say. Makes me quicker on the trigger than I am normally inclined to be.

25. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 3:49 pm

Jimbo,

So right. The last incand. plant closed up earlier this year. It won't be coming back. We are now, truly, in the dark. Thanks Progs!

While we're at it, where were greenies when the passenger/light truck RE-TREADING industry slipped beneath the waves? Just 10 years ago nearly every tire retailer had a LOCAL plant they sent their useable tires for re-utilization!

Hey, I'd never put 'em on my Jag, but for the ol' Suburban we take down to Guard duty? No probalo! Make great studded tires? Nope. They pulled the plug on that too. More enviro-regs than any Break/Even could ever justify. See ya'!

26. Pasadena Phil on December 16th, 2011 3:56 pm

LA is swimming in affluence. But LA is a very big and sprawling place. I live a block away from multi-million dollar mansions in San Marino. The LA you read about is not the same LA where most people live. Pasadena is as good as ever. So is Burbank. There is a heck of a lot more good about CA than bad. That is why everyone wants to live here.

You should be picking on Doug instead and asking him why he won't leave Detroit (the second most beautiful city on Lake Erie).

27. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 4:02 pm

Yep, fine for me, but not for thee !

Someone mentioned this week, the OWSers leave poop and urine puddles and trash behind after protesting damage to our environment !

28. backwoodsconsr on December 16th, 2011 4:06 pm

Just think, after enough people get frustrated trying to use low flow toilets, we'll be able to go back to using outhouses like nature intended. Of course, for the OWSers we'll have to make them look like cop cars so they'll understand what they're for.

29. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 4:07 pm

So George Soros isn`t the only one profiting from destruction !?

I`ve seen several docs. on turning old ships into fishing reefs; It`s incredible what all must be removed first. While some $ is made on the recyclables, it`s still really expensive and labor-intensive !

30. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 4:13 pm

"….Morse Fairbanks powered freighter leaking as much as it`s BURNING …."

Sounds like the older Detroit diesels and Harley motors; it was said, "If they build one that doesn`t leak oil, they`ll tear it down to see what`s wrong with it !"

31. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 4:21 pm

I do like your thinking ! :-)

32. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 4:22 pm

Phil,

As a former fellow Rust-belt inhabitant ( that's just not gonna' happen, ok? )

No call to be touchy here, what I was driving at in more generic terms, where'd all those tax dollars collected SINCE they laid those galvanized pipes 'go'?

Obviously didn't find their way into the Utilities Dept? So I'm not picking on Cali in any way shape or form. Had a number of towns gone the "Let's Conserve by Watering LESS!" route ( they'd be in identical scenarios )

So call it CALpers or "O"Pers or call it anything! Zero provision was ever made to REPLACE those pipes and it all went to Belize and Scottsdale so W & S Dept. 'workers' could lead the good life in retirement! I mean, who wants to work past 50?

33. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 4:38 pm

I know the factories (or at least the specific production lines) have been shut down, but I don`t remember hearing that the equipment was actually removed. If not, it should be only a matter of rehiring and restarting, sorta !

34. Marshall_Will on December 16th, 2011 4:58 pm

There's nothing like the sound of a DD!

"Yeah… hur' the diesel hummin'

All Down the line!"

Twins mounted in a 30 footer -growling- to get upstream gives me 2-stroke diesel WOOD!

35. SignPainterGuy on December 16th, 2011 5:14 pm

Allison and Rolls-Royce aircraft engines are faves, but twin- and 4-rotary engine WWII bombers climbing away does it for me !

I think the best sounding motorcycle I ever heard was an early`70s Honda CBX; in-line 6 cyl. with Hooker Headers 6 into 1 exhaust and Kerker muffler (while it was new – after the packing burnt out, it sounded terrible); sounded more like a Ferrari than most Ferraris !

36. Pasadena Phil on December 16th, 2011 6:21 pm

As we all know, the government only rationalizes why they need our money. That's called "budgeting". That's the story we hear. Once they have collected it, there is another process called "appropriations". That story we never hear. The two are never reconciled.

In the private sector, our accounting systems are explicitly designed to make it as easy as possible to track and manage our finances. In government, accountability is a dirty word. You need to authorize expensive and controversial studies while hiring crony "consultants" to find out what is going on. It's all smoke and mirrors.

37. David Abrams on May 6th, 2012 7:41 am

The Benefits of a Hedge Fund are funds Allows for easier administration of widely diversified investments across a large variety of hedge funds.