I’m glad what started out in the blogosphere is now catching on among some reporters covering the White House hypocrisy beat.

It’s funny to watch this administration pretend to be unable or incapable of understanding why the “separate flights to Hawaii” thing is viewed as hypocritical, especially weeks after signing a “promote efficient spending” directive for Federal employees, and after years of carbon emissions chicken-littling about global warming. All Jay Carney can do when called on it is stand up there and justify why it’s okay for the President to spend hundreds of thousands of extra dollars and spew unnecessary carbon emissions into the atmosphere because he’s the president, dammit! I’d agree it’s a perk of the job if they weren’t always telling everybody else to sacrifice wherever possible during these tough times:

(h/t HAP)

Comments

15 Responses to “Jay Carney Asked About Separate First Family Flights to Hawaii”

1. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2011 4:08 pm

When this story first broke, $100,000 was thrown around as the extra cost for the separate flights. I saw yesterday a more reasonable estimate; over $200,000 per hour ! That includes the cost of AF-1 and crew, the transport plane for the SS vehicles and staff and the FLOTUS limo and the Air Force escort fighter planes.

In addition to lying to us at every turn and costing us money by the truckloads at every utterance, wouldn`t it be nice if just once, P-FL-OTUS could do something to save or actually make us some money !??

2. Dandapani on December 17th, 2011 5:16 pm

"Let them eat cake!"

3. swede on December 17th, 2011 5:56 pm

There are actually two identical 747 VC25A's (only designated AF-1 when POTUS is on board) in the fleet. Both travel every trip – the second as backup and/or decoy. Plus a C5A for vehicles and another transport for press and whatever. Each 747 burns roughly a gallon of jetA/second. For the ten hour jump to Hawaii thats roughly 150 tons per aircraft. For the fleet, your $200K/hr figure is probably pretty light.

4. backwoodsconsr on December 17th, 2011 6:57 pm

No carbon footprint there!

5. backwoodsconsr on December 17th, 2011 7:01 pm

They burn more fuel on one trip than I do in a year.

6. OK_Loyalist on December 17th, 2011 7:07 pm

Exactly !

7. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2011 7:18 pm

You`re right about the AF-1 designation (I have a cold that`s clouding my thinker bone). What IS it called when FLOTUS is on board, AF-1.5 ? AF-Bossy ? AF-Git Out Of My Way ?

When the First couple came here, the airport won`t handle 747s, so they brought the modified 757 and a C-17. Still large planes !

I have no doubt the $200,000 per hour estimate is low; I have developed a habit of taking it for granted that any gov. estimate is at least 100% off, high or low, depending on the subject !

8. OK_Loyalist on December 17th, 2011 7:35 pm

It's called the first time in her adult life that she is proud to be an American. Of course being on the taxpayers dime contributes to this exponentially.

9. backwoodsconsr on December 17th, 2011 7:43 pm

AF-(to put it politely)Wide Load?

10. backwoodsconsr on December 17th, 2011 7:47 pm

EGO-2?

11. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2011 8:00 pm

But, wouldn`t the big yellow banner blow off ?

12. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2011 8:06 pm

I was kinda thinking along those lines, but isn`t the "-2" designation for the V-POTUS ? That`s why I went w/ 1.5 ! The SLOTUS would then be "AF-2.5" . (?)

13. backwoodsconsr on December 17th, 2011 8:10 pm

This getting confusing. I need to ask Sheriff Joe for the website number where they keep all this information.

14. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2011 8:22 pm

BR-549, ext. 2 ! Ext. 1 is the used car lot, they lie ! You don`t want that`n !

15. SignPainterGuy on December 17th, 2011 9:54 pm

I know ! AF-Eat You Veggies ! AF-NOW I Love My Country !