I’ll be spending Christmas with family and I hope you’re all doing the same.

Hard to believe that 2011 is almost over, but that’s fine because 2012 is going to be pretty interesting.

Merry Christmas all!

And now, for your viewing pleasure, here’s possibly the worse Christmas-related movie of all time: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. I’ll pour a strong Bacardi & Diet Coke for whoever can sit through the whole thing — which is kind of a catch-22 because booze is what’s required in order to be able to sit through the whole thing:

Comments

16 Responses to “‘Merry Christmas’ Open Thread”

1. OK_Loyalist on December 25th, 2011 12:12 am

And here's to Todd and Margo too!

2. SignPainterGuy on December 25th, 2011 2:51 am

Merry Christmas gang ! Hope everyone is having a good time and able to enjoy the season !

Neat car Doug, but please. do something with those legs ! ;-)

I take it, if I want to watch the whole movie AND win the drink, I should drink something that will go well with rum ? I`m out`a luck !

3. Doug on December 25th, 2011 3:01 am

When that movie came out over 20 years ago I remember reading a review that said the parts of Todd and Margo should have been played by Sam Kinison and Judy Tenuta…. the then it probably would have been an entirely different movie.

4. Doug on December 25th, 2011 3:02 am

Merry Christmas to you and yours, SPG!

5. SignPainterGuy on December 25th, 2011 3:15 am

Thank you again ! Hope it`s not too cold there !

About 40 and rainy, clammy cold; not much fun to be outside, but my Sister lives on a lake shore, so I gots to be outside all I can !

6. joyannaadams on December 25th, 2011 4:01 am

Merry Christmas to the Powerful Powers and his merry band of Powerfully witty readers!

I am NEVER bored reading the comments…but then again, reading Doug is like eating a really good "right out of the oven" chocolate chip cookies right out of the over..Mmmmmm

Okay, I just gave away what I've been doing! Really, who else but Doug would post a Santa Martian video on Christmas Eve?

7. backwoodsconsr on December 25th, 2011 7:43 am

Merry Christmas all!

Since I'm allergic to alcohol, I doubt I'll get very far into the video. But for those who would love an excuse to get drunk, have at it!

8. Doug on December 25th, 2011 12:08 pm

Merry Christmas Joyanna! Continued thanks for your insights over yet another year!

9. Doug on December 25th, 2011 12:10 pm

For a funnier version check out the Mystery Science Theater dismantling of that same movie. Here's part 1… the actual movie starts about 7 minutes in…

10. backwoodsconsr on December 25th, 2011 2:26 pm

I caught a fragment of some Christmas greetings from the Obamas. Didn't catch much of what they said, just something about "Peas on Earth…"

11. backwoodsconsr on December 25th, 2011 4:18 pm

Hallelujah Chorus Flash Mob

12. Ken in Texas on December 25th, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm allergic to alcohol, too. Every damned time I down a dozen or so Jim Beam and cokes my head gets fuzzy and my legs don't work right. The other night, for the first time, I took a bus home from the bar. I'd never driven one before, and I'm still not sure where I got it from, but it got me here. Danged allergies.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS, Y'ALL!!!

13. backwoodsconsr on December 25th, 2011 4:55 pm

LOL! Good one!

My problem with alcohol is it causes me to wake up in spots, and they're the kind of spots I don't want to be in.

14. patti on December 25th, 2011 8:18 pm

joyannaadams 52p

***
    Hey, joyanna, Doug has the same effect on me! ;-)

I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May you be near all those that you love for this special Holiday.

15. connie on December 27th, 2011 12:05 am

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Doug and all responders! I love reading this column even though I don't get to comment much… you are all great! Thanks for yet another year of humor Doug!

16. Patriot on December 27th, 2011 2:06 am

Yes and the movie also received the treatment from "CinematicTitanic", the old MST3k gang's new gig too :)

Interesting trivia- it has Pia Zadora in it (the little martian girl).