Okay, I threw the beer deal in there for anybody who’s tired as hell of talking about Iowa.

Later this evening, whenever there’s any real news from Iowa, I’ll post it (provided it happens at a reasonable hour).

Michelle M. will be discussing the results here as well.

Passing thought: Isn’t it funny how Iowa was awesome when Obama won there in 2008, but now that his numbers are down the state is too white? It’s not as white as many mainstream media outlets, that’s for sure.

Until caucusing starts later this evening, Drudge is conducting his own vote:

If there were a vote for President of Internet-Land, Ron Paul would be in for life.

The past Iowa Caucus winners from both parties are here.

Predictions? I’m terrible with predictions, but I’m going to go way out on a limb and guess that Huntsman will finish last.

Update: Politico has a detailed caucus results map here.

Update II: With about a quarter of the caucus locations reporting at 9:30 p.m. EST, it’s neck and neck between Romney, Paul and Santorum.

Update III: It’s gonna be a squeaker — with 88% of the caucus vote counted, Rick Santorum is about 50 votes ahead of Mitt Romney, each with 25%, and Ron Paul has 21%. They’re followed by Gingrich at 13%, Perry at 10% and Bachmann at 5%.

CNN projects Paul 3rd, Gingrich 4th, Perry 5th. First place is still up for grabs between Santorum and Romney.

Question open to the floor: Who gave Rick Santorum the biggest last-minute boost — the Duggars, or Alan Colmes?

Update IV: Almost 95% of the vote is in, and Romney and Santorum are swapping leads by the minute.

Judging from the speeches tonight, including Michele Bachmann’s, it doesn’t sound like anybody’s going to drop out before the next debate Saturday and the New Hampshire primary the following Tuesday, though that could change by tomorrow.

Update V: Romney beats Santorum by eight votes.

Comments

10 Responses to “Iowa Caucus Results Discussion & Dollar Drafts Night; Update: Romney Wins by 8 Votes

1. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2012 7:51 pm

"Isn’t it funny how Iowa was awesome when Obama won there in 2008,"

Are we talking Enlightened 'Progressive' White here or just plain old cracker white? Angria Mitchell's a Filipina right..? ( I kinda' thought so )

Yeah beer deal or not, very much looking forward to just getting this over with. The Upper MW was never really Blue in a landslide and by the time IA goes RED in 2012 it will have fallen into the hands of the Klan.

2. backwoodsconsr on January 3rd, 2012 8:15 pm

If I give you a dollar, can we draft some better candidates?

3. Pasadena Phil on January 3rd, 2012 8:16 pm

Interesting how anyone but Romney winning in Iowa doesn't count because Iowa is "too whilte" while Romney is about to win in a landslide in whiter-than-white NH. I was born in NH and have researched the history of Nashua for a project I was recently involved in and one of the interesting things I learned is that there was a higher percent of free blacks living in Hollis (as it was then known) in colonial times than live there now. The only whiter state is their neighbor Vermont.

And how about Palin coming out to call on conservatives to rally around one conservative candidate and telling the most conservative candidate Bachmann that "it is not her time"? Just as voting in Iowa starts, there is McPalin again torpedoing the most conservative Republican candidate. Why didn't she just leave it at "rallying around one candidate"? Why now? And what "conservative" is she suggesting we rally around? My bet is it will be Romney.

ALL Republicans are suspect. I want to hear more and more of them declaring that they are not writing off running independent. Rand Paul compromised his standing with the Tea Party today by telling the Tea Party that they are better working within the GOP. Same with South Carolina governor and former Tea Party sweetheart Nikki Haley when she endorsed Romney last week suggesting that she was assuming she had the power to throw the weight of the Tea Party behind any candidate she chooses. Now she is just another turncoat. And while we are on that subject Marco Rubio has been walking back his position on illegal immigration recently too. We need to remind them that they don't speak for the Tea Party and we don't take kindly to backtracking and wavering on our principles. Our support is conditional.

4. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2012 8:45 pm

Phil,

Right, let's throw The Process under the bus before The Process even begins? You had to know this betrayal was in the cards. But there's nothing there for Dimaprogs to be celebrating.

We'll only come out of the other end meaner, nastier and spoiling for a fight. Like I say, the UMW was never double and even triple stacked other than a few prog strongholds like Madison etc. Get a few blocks west of Chicago and the Western Suburbs are staunchly Conervative!

If we're going to exhibit faith that MN and even WI can turn, we can start by showing we've the confidence to let this play out without tampering.

5. Pasadena Phil on January 3rd, 2012 9:47 pm

"But there's nothing there for Dimaprogs to be celebrating."

That is only true if we stand firm against the turncoats betraying us or going soft testing our resolve. The game of speaking for the Tea Party is not working as far as I can tell. Nikki Haley got scorched by the SC Tea Party for her endorsement e.g. There is one big advantage that the Dimprogs have over us and that is that they all vote for liberals. We conservatives need to commit to voting only for conservatives.

That simple statement is so easy to understand but as you have seen, infuriates "conservatives" on these threads. I am tired of "conservatives" who cannot grasp how idiotic it is to pledge to vote for whatever liberal the GOP crams onto the ballot. Even Mark Levin has the disease (convincing me that he is still a Washington insider and dyed-in-the-wool Republican).

If Romney or other liberal wins the GOP nomination, the GOP has lost my vote again. I just don't vote for liberals. "Electability" is only a problem for conservative candidates because conservative voters start out believing that somehow voting for a conservative is throwing their votes away. WTF!!!

6. Marshall_Will on January 4th, 2012 1:18 am

Good to hear Darling Nikki got it broke off in her shorts… SIDEWAYS! In South Carolina, you'd think she'd KNOW better. No Nikki dearest, we don't have any room nor a 'future' for backstabbers.

Ask Ben Nelson, Barney Frank and growing list of The Departed Dimaprogs. They were told "Fuggedabout'it… come the next cycle those schmucks will have forgotten all about this stuff!"

Yeah, how's that working out for ya'? Thanks to Doug for the Updates, I can't bear to watch.

7. SignPainterGuy on January 4th, 2012 3:01 am

Nail-biter !

8. SignPainterGuy on January 4th, 2012 3:21 am

RE: The floor question; Rush was claiming Tue. that the media is giving him credit for Santorum`s surge ! That`s the first I`d heard THAT !

I`ll go for the sympathy push after AC went all morbid and stupid ….. I mean even more so than usual !

9. SignPainterGuy on January 4th, 2012 1:47 pm

I had a feeling, by hook or crook, the Mittster would win. It was a wrist slitingly frustrating end (the last hour plus) as the two switched leads ! Politico`s map was the best I`ve seen, self-updating (usually) with individual county tallies. It got down to only 2 cos left around 1:40 and then, POOF, 7 counties were back in ! 3 ea. for RS and MR and 1 for Paul. Santorum was ahead by 18 ! Then I jumped over to MM`s place and wouldn`t you know it ? There were rumors of LOST VOTES !! All I could think of was THE FIX IS IN – ROMNEY WILL WIN !!

I gave up just before 2: and went to bed !

10. Hyperfobea on January 4th, 2012 4:35 pm

2012 will look like the South Park episode … who will YOU be voting for: the turd sandwich or the giant douche bag?

Hard choices …