In the “having solved all other crimes” file we find this:

A Charlton mom says her local library crossed the line when they sent police to collect her daughter’s overdue library books.

Her mom says the 5-year-old girl was so afraid that she burst into tears.

Charlton Police Sergeant Dan Dowd stopped by the home of Shannon Benoit to let her know that her daughter had two books several months overdue which needed to be returned or paid for.

“What’cha in for?”

“Murder. What about you, kid?”

“Stuart Little three weeks overdue.”

Here’s a dramatization of the Charlton library cop’s visit to the Benoit home:

Comments

10 Responses to “And You Thought ‘Library Cops’ Only Existed in Seinfeld Episodes?”

1. backwoodsconsr on January 3rd, 2012 1:17 pm

And Arlo Guthrie thought he had a story to tell.

2. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 1:57 pm

Oooooo, school librarians …… either lovely ladies everyone loves, or the complete opposite (at least in perception) ! I remember having a book for a grade or two. Several dollars due. When I finally took it back and paid my fine, I was a nervous wreck. After a moment with the calculator, the only words she said was, "Thank you !" What ? No prison sentence ? No screaming !

In hi skrewel, we had a librarian everyone feared and avoided at all costs. While reading an Alfred Hitchcock book, I came upon a word that it turns out, the author had coined himself. I looked in every edition of dictionary I could find, in the library (even the two-ton desk edition) and at home. The word couldn`t be cyphered exactly in context because it could have gone a couple different ways; it drove me nuts ! I wanted to know what it meant ! After several days and no luck, I breathed deep and asked Mrs. Bonestahl (sp?). This woman not only looked in every dictionary she could find; she wrote the publisher ! She was as disappointed as I that it had no official definition ! But I had a new friend !

3. dancermommd on January 3rd, 2012 2:55 pm

Nothing like tramatizing a five year old but since the five year old can't get to the library all by herself it is up to the Mom to make sure books are returned promptly or pay the fine. I would also think the cops would have better things to do.

4. Granny55 on January 3rd, 2012 3:06 pm

Cops have better things to do than chase 5 yr. olds with late library books – that said, here we go again with bad parenting. Fer cryin out loud – how about teaching your child some responsibility and take the damn book back on time???? How hard is that???? Hope mom is on birth control so she is not spitting out any more little ones to screw up.

5. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2012 4:20 pm

Selective & Random Enforcement:

The IRS needn't go after each and every self employed person that said they spent $100 'over' and flagged themselves on office supply expenditures. Just go after a handful and make legends out of the HELL you've turned their lives into over it.

The rest will fall in line. I would have had the parents do the same thing Illegals pull when their lack of credentials is finally exposed. DENY, stall…… go public w/ sob story, tell everyone how this little girl wants "to become a nurse or solar engineer" or anyone that wears a white lab coat and when appeals run out on the overdue books ( move one state over! )

Then it's Lather, Rinse & Repeat. After all, what's good for the Goose..?

6. home tutor on October 3rd, 2012 7:14 am

I would also think the cops would have better things to do.

7. blogc2011 on December 6th, 2012 6:55 am

I looked in every edition of dictionary I could find, in the library (even the two-ton desk edition) and at home. The word couldn`t be cyphered exactly in context because it could have gone a couple different ways; it drove me nuts ! I wanted to know what it meant ! After several days and no luck, I breathed deep and asked Mrs. Bonestahl (sp?) ????

8. edward on March 9th, 2013 11:27 am

Cops have better things to do than chase 5 yr. olds with late library books
    top criminal justice schools

9. buy papers on June 3rd, 2013 10:19 am

10. Ibeacons on August 28th, 2014 7:58 am

Nothing like tramatizing a 5 year old but since the five year old can't get to the library simply by herself it is around the Mom to make certain books are go back promptly or fork out the fine. I would in addition think the cops would have better activities to do.