The Occupiers were denied permission to march in the actual parade, so they brought up the rear after the official end of the parade.

They carried what’s supposed to be a big octopus made of recycled plastic that’s represents the tentacles of greed or whatever. The end result looks like something a bunch of stoners would have designed for the homecoming float at Purple Kush High School:

*****

I’m particularly fond of the Occupier wearing a t-shirt advertising Harley Davidson, which of course is publicly traded on Wall Street.

(h/t Weasel Zippers)

Comments

20 Responses to “Occupiers Debut Giant Recycled Plastic Octopus at Rose Parade”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 3rd, 2012 12:52 am

I always found their trading symbol clever.

Harley Joke:

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

You can only get one dirt bag on a Hoover!

2. Doug on January 3rd, 2012 1:12 am

Ha!

I've always wanted to go to Sturgis in the summer… maybe one of these years. So far the closest I ever got was getting 38 Special's "live in Sturgis" album… which has a damn fine cover:

3. Marshall_Will on January 3rd, 2012 1:18 am

So that's what 5,000 OWS'ers looks like? Barely enough to keep that spent condom their parents 'wished' they used aloft? Not even mentally organized enough to get the scale right.

Are squids a symbol of tentacled greed too? Because that's what it looked like. A minor miracle they didn't manage to suffocate themselves in the process. This is what we're worried about for 2012? Yawn….

4. Pasadena Phil on January 3rd, 2012 1:28 am

Most of the people you see in that video are not even part of the "protest". That guy carrying the cross does that every year. And most of the people you see walking around them are just trying to get around them, across the street or were caught in the wrong place. Also notice that the stands are emptying. I was at the Rose Bowl at the time but I am hearing from people who were there that at most, there were 100 OWSers, probably much less. Few paid attention to them.

It's like me presenting a video of myself standing up and making a speech at Dodger stadium with 50.000 people in attendance and claiming that they were cheering for me without even editing out the part where Matt Kemp hit a home run while I was speaking.

5. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 2:27 am

I drove thru Sturgis headed for the Black Hills in `86 just after the big Shebang; maybe 100 bikers still there packing up to leave. Ain`t much there to attract so many ! Maybe that IS the attraction !

6. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 12:10 pm

As I said in the other thread, the police est. 400. Since they were at the back, actually "post parade", how could anyone know how many were involved directly and how many were merely trying to get out ? Still sounds like promoters and supporters (CBS) are fluffing the numbers !

Had this been a Tea Party protest, it likely would have been reported as 50 !!

7. Granny55 on January 3rd, 2012 1:01 pm

If it was a tea party the media would not have reported it all! And I see where NBC's Angria Mitchell took an Obummer like swipe at us again by saying that Iowa voters are too white, too evangelical and too rural to represent the "average" voting American. The "I Am In Love With My Socialist President" press are really letting us know, unabashedly, that they are 100% in the tank for Der Whon.

8. Pasadena Phil on January 3rd, 2012 1:16 pm

If this had been Tea Party, they wouldn't have even reported the event. I can't speak for the Tournament of Roses Association nor for the Pasadena Tea Party but the official statement from the Tea Party founder declared that their position was that the Rose Parade is not and should not be politicized. It is a day of celebration involving people from all over the world. It just is not the place for politics. We don't want it and our guests don't want it.

It is a patriotic celebration about what is good about America and people. If need to start the year in a good mood, there is no better place than Pasadena. The parade has been kicked off by a B2 flyover (in fact, 2001 was its first time public sighting) and the Rose Bowl game includes a flyover of the stealth fighters. We are overflowing with military guests and we bend over backwards to welcome and salute them.

The Tournament of Roses is the best organization I've ever heard of and Pasadena is very proud of that volunteer tradition. It is a marvel that we pull off such a complicated and logistical monster every year. To open it up to the negativity of politics would not just sully our image, it would destroy the parade. If you want to lose at least half of your audience and most of your sponsors at the drop of a hat, introduce politics. Ask Rosie O'Donuts and Oprah Winfrey.

9. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 2:45 pm

Kudos to the organizers for their high ideal and effort ! Thanks to you for attending and giving us a personal perspective ! The T of R is one of the very few parades I`d like to see in person.

A few years ago, I talked my regular parade entrants into letting me make permanent signs for their floats. Add to that, few decorate and build their own floats anymore, they rent them. I lost biz and reason to fight traffic to watch our local parades (Labor Day and Christmas). Now with one of the two bridges being replaced downtown, traffic is a real headache, and a good parking space must be grabbed and held hours in advance. Not worth it for me ! Our parades are remarkably long for such a small town, so sitting in your car is the only practical way to view it. Last year`s Labor Day Parade was cancelled for the first time ever due to rain and wind (one of the oldest / longest running in the SE – over 100 yrs) and the Christmas Parade usually comes with a sudden cold snap and snow ! Been there, froze in that !

10. Granny55 on January 3rd, 2012 3:09 pm

O/T – Wow, Angria Mitchell is quoting Der Whon now! Iowans are too white, too evangelical and too rural to represent the average American voter!!! Gee whiz, I didn't know the MSM hated me so much.

11. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 3:25 pm

Well duh ! You`re white, non-lib, non-feminist, pro-life, probably usually lady-like ;-), conservative …. (did I miss anything ?) …. what`s not to hate ?!

12. Pasadena Phil on January 3rd, 2012 3:40 pm

Thank you! If you're ever in the area, let me know. I'll give you the grand tour. Float construction starts in August-September and best time to see things is December but there is plenty to see throughout the year. We are a major enterprise. There is always something going on. Even if its just touring Tournament House (former Wrigley Mansion). Pasadena is a great place to visit if you like architecture, especially Craftsman houses.

As to weather, we've only been rained on maybe 2-3 times in 123 years. The only thing that would shut us down is a severe lightening storm and those are rare. Many of my favorite memories of Rose Parade was the year it rained. I was the float liaison for the Burbank float and sat on my scooter completely drenched for over 30 hours but that was a parade to remember. The crowd was hard core and cheered the downpours. "Bring it on!" "Is that all you got!"

I never had my picture taken so many times with out of town visitors. I love the Rose Parade.

13. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 3:48 pm

Sounds like an interesting time ! Perhaps when I inherit from the rich Aunt and Uncle, I`ll drive out there ! Lots to see along the way; too much to miss by flying !

14. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 3:54 pm

Before the float rentals came along and while my Dad was alive, since childhood, we decorated cars, pickups, rollback wreckers and floats. It was fun and kept us in with the movers and shakers. Made the local paper a few times.

15. Pasadena Phil on January 3rd, 2012 5:24 pm

In 1989, I moved from Boston to CA. I spent almost four months criss-crossing across America in my car stumbling into towns I never heard of. I learned a lot about America. The most important thing I learned was that everyone is proud of their little town and if you show any interest, they want to tell you about it. They really don't care where you are from but are flattered that you are there and interested in their town. It's a lesson I wish most people would learn.

As you must have noticed on the threads on most blogs , too many people ignorantly attack others just because they "aren't as smart" as people in their neck of the woods. That attitude is toxic to what America is about.

My cross-country experience showed me that all of the pieces that make America are still there. It is a big mistake for small towns to abandon the traditions that cement the community spirit of those towns. Whether it's a parade, box car races, or whatever, people should celebrate them, be proud of it and go around to see what other people are doing that they are proud of.

I hope we don't lose that. I hope your parade is not losing the things that made it worth doing in the first place. Here in Pasadena, it works because so many very high quality and enthusiastic people volunteer their time to making it happen. It could easily fall apart but so long as we are committed to do whatever ti takes to keep it going one more year, it will keep getting better and better. It never goes stale. Every town needs to find something like that. It doesn't have to be the Rose Parade. You just have to capture and celebrate that sense of community. I hope your town still has that. You'd be surprised how even small towns can be interesting places to visit if they have an enthusiastic and engaged citizenry.

16. SignPainterGuy on January 3rd, 2012 7:33 pm

I haven`t moved outside a 9 mile radius since birth, but I have traveled a good bit around the country and I agree with you; show interest and folks will avail you of all kinds of stories. And listen to yours !

Canton,NC has lost over half its population and businesses, but few of our traditions. We have a very long standing hi school rivalry between my alma mater and the other hs in the county, though they are 2 conferences larger. We have two parades, Labor Day has carnival rides and games and music, music and dancing every Fri. nite in warm weather and now the first weekend in Aug. we have The Mater Fest, complete w/ vendors, crafts, food, more music and dancing AND the "mater fight" ! (best observed at a distance) We`re not a boring place, but it helps if you like your entertainment "a little slow" ! ;-)

17. Occupiers Debut Giant Recycled Plastic Octopus at Rose Parade | evusilikak on January 4th, 2012 1:24 pm
  18. Occupiers Debut Giant Recycled Plastic Octopus at Rose Parade | ukakusiguko on January 4th, 2012 9:34 pm
  19. hammocks uk on May 30th, 2012 4:41 am

Plastics are typically organic polymers of high molecular mass, but they often contain other substances. They are usually synthetic, most commonly derived from petrochemicals, but many are partially natural.

20. buy steroids uk on September 6th, 2012 5:22 am

can't understand why this video stirred up so much hate.