A couple of days ago I wrote that the Obama campaign was considering moving the final night of the Dem convention to Bank of America Stadium, home of the Carolina Panthers. The large outdoor venue would allow the fighters against Wall Street greed to sell high-priced skyboxes and raise even more campaign cash, and do so from inside a place named after one of Wall Street’s biggest players.

And just when you thought the list of possible ironies and hypocrisy couldn’t get any longer:

Bank of America Stadium, the Charlotte, N.C. sports area that has been proposed as the site where President Obama will accept the Democratic Party’s nomination for a second term in the White House, was built entirely with nonunion labor, The Daily Caller has learned.

Miller & Long was responsible for the stadium’s construction in the mid-1990s.

“The majority of the companies that built the stadium were members of Associated Builders & Contractors,” McMahon told TheDC. “It is a great example of a grand monument that was built entirely union-free.”

In spite of wherever the final night of the convention ends up (all we know for sure is that it’ll be a place that the Greek columns can fit in), unions weren’t happy with the state that was chosen to host the convention. Barely over three percent of North Carolina workers are union members. Lucky for Obama unions will still give him all their campaign donations anyway.

Comments

10 Responses to “Bank of America Stadium, Which Could Host Final Night of Dem Convention, Constructed With Non-Union Labor”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 14th, 2012 7:14 pm

In Tulsa, we had IBC Banks and Tulsa University with picketers outside of it for at least 1 year holding banners that said "Shame on IBC Bank" and "Shame on Tulsa University" for using non-union labor for construction projects. What I never understood is why these facilities never turned the irrigation sprinkler heads around and fired them up on a 38°F day.

2. SignPainterGuy on January 15th, 2012 12:36 am

Looks to me like there will be plenty of room at BofA Stadium.

Seating for nearly 74,000; I hope the weather`s nice, it`s open-air !

3. backwoodsconsr on January 15th, 2012 12:51 am

Obama and the Panthers using the same stadium. That place is becoming a real magnet for losers.

4. SignPainterGuy on January 15th, 2012 1:08 am

Any wonder why I like the Steelers and Packers much more than the Kitties ?

It`s a nice looking venue, but what does that matter ? You can put Paint-by-Numbers paint in a crystal goblet if you wish !

5. swede on January 15th, 2012 12:29 pm

Careful there pard. Using the Stoolers [gag, snort] and the Packers [que angelic choir] in the same sentence is blasphemy! St. Vincent of Lambeau is watching and listening – you could get struck by lightning or something. Don't want you to get hurt.

Just sayin.

6. SignPainterGuy on January 15th, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for the warning; I`ll be sure to watch out for those slips of the tongue (as it were) ! After seeing the pics of Grandpa Swede beaming with pride, with three of the absolute cutest grand kids I`ve ever seen, I can see that you have learned to be extra careful not to offend "The Powers That Be" ! ;-)

NOTE to readers: so you know I`m not just being kind, go to SwedeWorld and click on his bio for confirmation of the three little heart breakers in the making !

7. blogc2011 on December 4th, 2012 7:30 am

Brett McMahon, president of Miller & Long DC, Inc., told TheDC it’s ironic that the Democratic National Committee is discussing the venue as a likely locale for Obama’s re-nomination ceremony, since the president has long-standing political alliances with America’s biggest and wealthiest labor unionsAustin personal injury lawyer

8. Greenspoint Dental on December 14th, 2012 7:15 pm

I was about to say something on this subject. But now i can see that everything on this subject is very awesome and intense, so i have nothing to say here. I am just going through all the issues and being valued.

9. fiberglass mat on June 1st, 2013 12:37 pm

This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw

10. zemkarlos on June 5th, 2013 2:22 pm

This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is current and very informative, I want to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job … kerry wedding photography