Jon Huntsman officially dropped out of the race earlier today, which means two things heading into tonight’s South Carolina debate: Michelle Malkin’s mute button finally gets a chance to cool off, and the field has now been narrowed down to five:

The remaining Republican presidential candidates treated Jon Huntsman’s endorsement of Mitt Romney as he bowed out of the race Monday much they way they treated Huntsman during his candidacy — with barely a glance.

“I like Jon Huntsman. I actually got a chance to meet him and his wonderful wife and family and I wish him the very, very best, and he brings something to the table. But this is a race about who’s going to be the strong conservative against Barack Obama,” Rick Santorum told Fox News.

With Huntsman gone and with Fox News, The Wall Street Journal and the South Carolina Republican Party literally setting their debate stage Monday night with one less lectern, many pundits and voters — and even a candidate — agree that should Romney pull of the hat trick this Saturday in South Carolina and go 3-0 in the early GOP contests, it could be very tough to stop him

The race is down to five now, which means four are tweaking their strategy to undo Romney’s substantial lead in the polls, both in South Carolina and across the nation.

The action (if you can call a debate “action”) starts at 9 p.m. EST. Watch live on Fox News or online here. Romney’s stretching his lead nationally and this could be the last chance for the remaining four to throw everything they’ve got. Could be entertaining.

Additional drinking game rule: Double shot when Romney says something along the line of “four Pinocchios, Newt – four Pinnocchios!

Comments

28 Responses to “GOP Debate: Five Alive”

1. OK_Loyalist on January 17th, 2012 12:08 am

I've watched 3 or 4 of these things and I think my limit has been reached like a few back.

2. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 12:09 am

I`ve only missed a couple and I want them to be about beating Oblamer, not just beating Mitt !

3. Doug on January 17th, 2012 12:10 am

I think that's partly why Gingrich caught on quickly. He was focused on Obama. When Newt switched his approach to going after Romney he started falling off.

4. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 12:12 am

Indeed !

5. Doug on January 17th, 2012 12:12 am

After this many debates, it's kind of like going to a Beach Boys concert… you know what you're going to hear.

6. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 12:19 am

Dang, so far it`s nothing but fighting each other.

7. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 12:33 am

Perry is at least trying to make it about the out of control giverment !

8. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 12:57 am

Lovin` how Newt is whacking Juan, who is getting booed repeatedly for showing his own racism !

9. backwoodsconsr on January 17th, 2012 1:00 am

After so many debates, I think they should all be dubbed Master Debaters.

10. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 1:01 am

Some haven`t graduated to "Masterfulness" though !

11. backwoodsconsr on January 17th, 2012 1:03 am

Okay, we'll give giving them more practice until we're sure they have things well in hand.

12. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 1:07 am

Paul gettin` booed now ! What a maroon !!

13. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 1:53 am

Shew, another one is over.

Newt took this`n imo, for bitchslappin` Juan if nuthin` else ! ;-)

14. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 1:57 am

That twitter chart at the end musta been nearly all Paulbots !

15. patti on January 17th, 2012 2:03 am

Nice standing O for Newt…..
    posted this over at MM's

York: Final count could show Romney lost Iowa
    There is a very real chance that the Republican Party of Iowa will announce this week that Rick Santorum, and not Romney, won the Iowa caucuses. http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/articl

Interesting.
    G.

16. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 2:10 am

I saw that, but was following 3 threads; here, MM`s and Weasel Zippers (they`re nuts over there – the fun kind), didn`t take the time to look at it (Heard about it last week) but will now ! I`ll give you my take in a few mins !

17. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 2:16 am

I guess it "could" shake up Mitt`s momentum if he loses the recount. Last week, it was reported that the counties miscounting / typos were basically cancelled out by one county over counting and another undercounting or one typo gave too much and the other gave the same amount too little. The net result, no change.

I AM eager to hear the final tally. I like RS much better than smarmy Mittster !

18. backwoodsconsr on January 17th, 2012 2:46 am

Just saw the video over at Hot Air. Newt handed it to him big time. It's going to be between Newt and Santorum as to who I vote for Saturday. I was leaning toward Santorum, but that may have just swung it the other way. That's the kind of fire I want to see in a candidate.

19. patti on January 17th, 2012 2:58 am

Agree.
    Perry was much better tonight… may be too late though, huh?

20. OK_Loyalist on January 17th, 2012 2:59 am

As Doug said earlier, if he stayed on that message Newt would still be leading.

21. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks Doug for giving the few of us this open thread. I add fun !

22. backwoodsconsr on January 17th, 2012 3:14 am

I would much rather add fun than subtract it.

23. OK_Loyalist on January 17th, 2012 3:30 am

And division multiplication would require removal of clothing ? :D

24. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 3:33 am

Oh gee, I "always" proofread but I missed that`n ! Dang !

I DO always try to "add" fun to whatever I do ! I was following / commenting on 3 threads AND watching / listening to the debate on TV, I had to miss "something", right ?

25. backwoodsconsr on January 17th, 2012 3:39 am

And that would add even more fun.

26. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 3:43 am

Perhaps Perry`s best yet.

27. SignPainterGuy on January 17th, 2012 3:44 am

It IS about the fun, RIGHT ?

28. A.Men on January 17th, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you, Newt. Juan the wonderful, has been given a free, Affirmative Action pass for years. Thanks you, for slappin' Juan.