Maritime history is full of examples of brave leadership in the face of deadly conditions at sea. This is not one of them:

Before he tripped and fell into the life boat, the crew declared “women and children first,” at which point the Captain also tripped and fell into a dress, wig and pumps, and then a baby tripped and fell into his arms.

Comments

19 Responses to “Profiles in Heroism at Sea”

1. backwoodsconsr on January 18th, 2012 3:10 pm

Gee, he's even more cowardly than Obama. He couldn't even stick around long enough to be "Present!"

2. Marshall_Will on January 18th, 2012 3:30 pm

Reminds me of the scene in The Last Boy Scout where a former associate explains to Bruce Willis that his sleeping w/ Bruce's wife "was an accident".

Oh, you mean like you accidentally 'slipped' and stuck your d!ck in my wife?

Yeah, it didn't work in the movie either…

3. SignPainterGuy on January 18th, 2012 3:51 pm

"Accident" …. reminds me of the black kid who was mad at his teacher, so he explained that, "He meant to bring the gun to school and he meant to pull out the gun and he meant to point the gun at the teacher and he meant to shoot the gun so it would really scare the teacher, BUT he didn`t really mean for the bullet to actually 'hit' the teacher … it was an 'ACCIDENT' ! "

I realize that when a ship is listing to one side as the cruise ship was the lifeboats aren`t in their standard position to the deck, but I`m still having a tuff time visualizing how one could "trip" and fall into the boat !

4. Marshall_Will on January 18th, 2012 4:38 pm

Sadly, Mrs. Will is forever on me about taking her on cruises. After being in the Navy, I can't imagine wanting to be on a civilian vessel where the crew are basically 'temps', no one has any basic damage control training and they should be christened "Jihadist Trophy o' The Seas".

Throw in fancy prices on everything and loudmouth New Yorkers you've got a perfectly miserable M_W. Petty crime is rampant as are passenger-borne illnesses. If you're talking taking The Dumaguette Star to Mindinao then fine. Tramp steamers even better, but these things are an accident waiting to happen.

5. SignPainterGuy on January 18th, 2012 5:16 pm

I`ve never taken a cruise, can`t say I ever wanted to, don`t care for crowds n touristy environments where it`s spend, Spend, SPEND !!! Even the Amtrak ride, though great in its way was regimented at meal time; I never ate when "I" wanted to.

My buddy and his wife took a couple Carribean cruises and one from Seattle, up into Alaska and back. He liked the Alaska cruise, `cause at the stops, the ship wasn`t swarmed by locals in canoes trying to sell them junk ! In his words, "The vast majority of passengers are 50s and older weighing 300+lbs." He should have been comfortable !?

6. Pasadena Phil on January 18th, 2012 5:52 pm

I guess Carnival will not be handing him his final paycheck including unused vacation and sick time plus a few million dollars severance and his annual bonus. Then he can run for Congress or governor.

Hey, that's how we do it in America.

7. Marshall_Will on January 18th, 2012 6:24 pm

Phil,

If you think the Anti-TP sentiment is unbearable at MM's, you gotta' try Hot Air! Make a simple observation, get persecuted! Electrocuted if they could?

Being a vet. of the housing bubble flame wars, I can put up w/ just about anything. Name calling/ad-hom, threats to out and RUIN you personally and professionally! The one thing I -can't- stand tho' is Straw Arguments.

Just goes to show they secretly cheered Jeaneane Garaffalo for calling us teab@ggers. If you're TP mbr. but not onboard the Perry bandwagon they find it perfectly acceptable to refer to you as a "Tardisil". It's the exact same cheap ploys the hardest of hardline PROGS pulls! But of course they're more a Conservative than yourself…

8. SignPainterGuy on January 18th, 2012 7:57 pm

I noticed that and the Paulistas ! I also noticed in the polls at Drudge after the last two debates, the Pualbots flooded the poll !

9. Marshall_Will on January 18th, 2012 8:14 pm

Like Doug says, "if ever we needed a pResident of The Internet, surely RP would rule!" ( para )

Really resent "thread shaping" or sculpting. And what Dr. Evil and his minions at HA fail to realize is; the thread should have been about how we can become -more- supportive to one another in our personal lives AND businesses!

Your neighbor begs you to watch her tween kids so she can volunteer to work the phones for a good, cons. candidate. You… a) politely decline. b) make up some story about being a Reg. S.O or C!) say no problem and cancel your "big night" doing… doing… well, doing manly things in a manly way!

10. backwoodsconsr on January 18th, 2012 8:23 pm

The recent open registration at Hot Air let in a flood of new commenters, and a lot of them aren't housebroken yet.

11. SignPainterGuy on January 18th, 2012 9:05 pm

Heh … MM got a few of those !

12. Marshall_Will on January 18th, 2012 9:32 pm

IIRC Dr. Evil has been posting there for some time. MM might recall from their early days.

And hey, I've been there. As a co-founder on a number of Bubble Blogs, after several years you'd just expect other posters to take your word for gospel without bothering to back up your claims.

Many times at MM's one of us will make a point and it just sort of hangs there and suddenly one of the older reg's will just re-word it and miraculously it becomes the talk of the town! Hey, whatever.

Btw, pretty cool link on P'BO being a KGB deep cover plant. Some posters had difficulty w/ the link, others not. But without lending cred's, certainly would EXPLAIN a lot of things! In other ways, sounds like bs. How anyone behind the [then] Iron Curtain could've envisioned The No Pre-Spending Limit Race Card back in 1992 is beyond me.

13. Pasadena Phil on January 18th, 2012 9:40 pm

Marhall,

Some of the commenters are plants who are there to disrupt and many of the commenters just can't seem to think for themselves.. They form swarms and attack by monkeypile. That's what goes for debate over there.

It is utterly impossible to have an intelligent conversation at MM. Too many of the commenters are full time jokers who seem to think they get to decide who is allowed to say what. The first rule of constructive communication is to make sure you understand what the other person is saying before responding. Not at MM (or most blogs for that matter) where people tell YOU what you just said and what you meant. If they are typical of the Republican voter, all is lost. In my old neighborhood growing up, we called them "goombahs" or "dumbf*#ks".

Luckily, most of the people who read the comments don't comment. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

14. Marshall_Will on January 19th, 2012 1:18 am

As much as we like to kid around, at some point these comments become part of the permanent record. They could be used against us at any time.

Shouldn't there be a move toward arriving at an over all "Self Correcting Mechanism" that ultimatelu has a 1,000 % Batting Average? Well evidently not where a lot of those posters are concerned!

It's all about scoring cheap points for 'the moment'. Making their own reality as they go!

15. Pasadena Phil on January 19th, 2012 1:43 am

I figure I've probably earned myself a prime spot in front of a firing squad already. Were I really persuasive, I would probably have been "disappeared" already.

16. SignPainterGuy on January 19th, 2012 1:48 am

Now that there was funny; I don`t care who you are !! ;-)

17. Hyperfobea on January 19th, 2012 8:59 am

Ditto that SPG … I've never been on a cruise ship. They look just fine to me from a distance.

18. SignPainterGuy on January 19th, 2012 2:36 pm

Kinda like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane !

Cruise ships look much like the ever-bigger container ships; there`s SOOOO much more WAAAAY above the waterline ! They appear to be just lookin` for a chance to capsize and this event does nothing to aswage that concern !

19. Parker 61 on January 20th, 2012 8:22 pm

It would be better if he fell it to the sea.