A campaign that at first seemed to have so much momentum and financial backing progressively waned and has culminated in Rick Perry leaving the race and endorsing Newt Gingrich:

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas will end his bid for the Republican presidential nomination on Thursday and endorse Newt Gingrich, two campaign officials confirmed, a decision that could influence the South Carolina primary on Saturday.

The announcement from Mr. Perry was expected to inject fresh momentum into Mr. Gingrich’s efforts to emerge as the leading alternative to Mitt Romney. It was unclear whether Mr. Perry would campaign with Mr. Gingrich in the final two days of the primary campaign here.

Perry got in the race because he saw what everybody else did months ahead of the Iowa caucuses: He had large leads in “hypothetical” polls that included him in the mix of already declared candidates. But we saw first-hand the difference between hypothetical campaigns and actual campaigns, and Perry never really gained any traction.

I did think that Perry’s ads were among the best though:

*****

I just listened to Perry’s “suspending my campaign” speech. He endorsed Gingrich and said that as a Christian he believes in the idea of forgiveness — an apparent reference to the Marianne Gingrich interview that will be played ad nauseum for the next several days. It’s a media feeding frenzy at this point. I wish the MSM had given even ten percent of the attention to Obama’s background as they’re giving Romney and Gingrich. It’s not that they’re reporting these things that’s troublesome — it’s that the media’s playing field isn’t close to level.

In other news, it appears that Rick Santorum was the winner in Iowa, though it won’t equate to a surge in Santorum support in South Carolina.

Comments

21 Responses to “Perry Drops Out, Endorses Gingrich; Santorum Apparently Wins Iowa”

1. SignPainterGuy on January 19th, 2012 3:27 pm

Perry struck me as one of the more likeable candidates, on a personal level. His foreign aid idea; starting at "0" every year and having each recipient explain each year why they needed our support and what they had done and would do with the money was a fantastic idea. His low taxes stance I also found attractive. I could forgive him his apparent weakness on border security / illegal alien policies, but his allowing islam and sharia law to be taught in some Texas public schools was a killer for me; I have no tolerance for islam. If I remember correctly, the islam issue came up only once in the debates and rarely if ever in news otherwise.

Perry will however be missed ! His debating skills had improved and I thought he added much without being so controversial !

2. SignPainterGuy on January 19th, 2012 3:31 pm

I watched the Iowa vote tally and was amazed to see some counties hold out to the end. It made me wonder if the RNC had the fix in. I wasn`t too surprised to hear that some counting had been confused, and then some votes were lost in 2 counties. Now it`s 8 counties ! What ? Did they fall out of someone`s pickup bed in the wind as they were rushed to election office ?

3. Jimbo on January 19th, 2012 3:38 pm

Crazy Perry picks Newt on the very day of his public disgrace. Sarah does it right before. Could someone from these hick camps please check the Drudge Report so y'all don't reveal yourselves to the nation as the pack of fools you are? Thank you.

4. Jimbo on January 19th, 2012 3:41 pm

I also wish the media and YOU Doug wouldn't try to shoot the guy who WON IOWA in the foot. Rick Santorum is the real deal. How does this not equate to a surge, especially in the land of social conservatives?

5. Marshall_Will on January 19th, 2012 4:28 pm

Jimbo,

Another trick cherry picked from Team O'Drama. Have a positive story to run against the latest Holder/Solyndra/Acorn/F&F/Employment #'s debacle.

Kind of like the stock market, matching Sell Orders w/ BUY Orders… Anything to soften the fall! Reminds me of a Keith Richards joke. Keith was at his house getting a book off the top shelf in his library when he had a terrible fall! Thankfully he wasn't too injured ( he broke his fall by landing on his STASH! )

6. Pasadena Phil on January 19th, 2012 5:12 pm

"I wish the MSM had given even ten percent of the attention to Obama’s background as they’re giving Romney and Gingrich."

I wish the CONSERVATIVE MEDIA had given even ten percent of the attention to Obama’s background as they’re giving Romney and Gingrich. But McCain threw anyone who dared under the bus and the CONSERVATIVE MEDIA didn't make a stink about it because…. well…..

It took Donald Trump to force the birth certificate issue and even then, Obama failed to produce a conclusive document. And then there are the college transcripts, and any academic papers he may have written. It's not just the MSM,

7. clu seatoe on January 19th, 2012 5:29 pm

The conservative elephant in the room seems to be painted with,

WE DON’T LIKE ANYBODY!
    NOBODY IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR US!
    LET’S JUST GIVE LOSER FOUR MORE YEARS!

Every four (or actually two) years the bottom feeders rise to the surface of the muck and everybody expects them to be squeaky clean. But, we expect them to go back down there and make our lives a little easier.

Seems to me I read somewhere, “Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.”

Squeaky clean will only happen out there in eternity’s future when this reality is over. In the mean time we can pick the one who we think will do the best for conservatism. They will answer for how they live their lives but it won’t be to us because we will give an accounting as well.

Finding out how dirty others are makes us feel a little cleaner.

8. Jimbo on January 19th, 2012 7:49 pm

“Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.”

Well, let's open all the prisions then, and let out the rapists, murderers and pedophiles so that your utopian dream can be realized! You misapplication of this biblical principle is ridiculous.

Newt is a repulsive little man who has colluded with the worst of democrats. Now we find that his personal life is just as swinging as his public life. Could we just elect a candidate that makes us feel like we don't need to shower after seeing them on TV?

I suspect that you think that we all feel a "little cleaner" because you yourself feel judged in some way. You misjudge us. For the most of us, finding out how dirty others are just makes us feel sad. We wish the best to that person, but we don't put them in charge of our affairs, and we certainly don't make them PRESIDENT.

Character matters.

9. Marshall_Will on January 19th, 2012 8:03 pm

Jimbo,

I can get onboard w/ that and personally, I think there's plenty of instances where Adultery -should- be prosecuted. In most States, it's on the books ( but hey.., the Judge is getting some nookie on the side too ) so good luck w/ that. Or so I'm often told.

But to say "let's just clear out the prisons!" seems a little flippant. I get that part too. Look around major companies, hell anywhere. Those that usher the overs_xed nature into the workplace get raises and promotions. Those of us that hold our marriage sacred get nights & weekends.

In all the years I worked in the brokerage industry, only (1) time did I see a guy rise to the top of the firm that was adamant about being loyal to his wife. The rest just took it as "comes w/ the territory". The truth is, being ABLE to afford a high profile divorce IS treated as a Badge of Success in this twisted world of ours.

10. SignPainterGuy on January 19th, 2012 9:14 pm

Right`chu are, P.Phil ! The right is way too wimpy and afraid to catch the ire of the msm and wants to be perceived as just too nice to stir up trouble and play by the left`s rules. They know better `cause I and many others keep telling them so in letters and emails, but because I don`t send them bajillions of dollars, they ignore me !

11. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2012 12:16 am

WHAT ? No debate thread here or at MM`s ?

12. Doug on January 20th, 2012 12:36 am

I was a little late to the debate party tonight… got home at about 9. This entire month I'll be a little lighter than usual on posts both here and at MMs, but I should be back up to normal speed in early February. Lots going on right now.

So who's winning this thing? I heard that the very first question of the night was about Newt's ex-wife. So much for the notion of letting the suspense build.

I just heard Romney use the term "Romneycare"… has he done that before?

13. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2012 12:40 am

Newt bitch-slapped John King GOOd right off the bat.

RomneyScare has been a topic several times.

I`m at Weasel Zippers. They`re a hoot !

14. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2012 12:45 am

Newt is winning, Santorum is good and bad (for his attitude). Paul is 90% NuckinFuts ! Mitt is saying mostly the right things, but most don`t trust him !

15. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2012 1:07 am

Not holding it against you Doug, just surprised neither of you had a debate thread !

16. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2012 3:03 am

Don't do it for 'us' Doug? Do it for the TROLLS!

Joyanna! Joyanna! Joyanna!

17. SignPainterGuy on January 20th, 2012 3:04 am

:-)

18. Hyperfobea on January 20th, 2012 9:42 am

That's the problem with there no longer being a distinction between virtue and vice, truth and falsehood. If Divine Revelation means whatever anyone wants it to mean, and there is no authority to make clear what is not, then Divine Revelation itself ceases to have any meaning.

We'll probably always be ruled by liars and hypocrites with the occasional (centennial) exception. The most repulsive thing about Newt is what appears to be a lack of remorse. But every last one of those men shared a common thread—-they all know what is best for me. They all believe, deep down, that they are benevolent gods.

19. Marshall_Will on January 20th, 2012 12:18 pm

"lack of remorse"

More, it's considered the spoils of war. A trophy w/ that set. We had a guy in Portland that had been thru no less than (5) high profile, society page 'marriages'. At any given fund raiser/upscale event ( there'd be at least two ex-wives )

What kind of person, savage really, is it that needs the ego stroke and reassurance of constantly finding themselves working a room where they've had s_x w/ multiple people IN it? "Let me introduce you to one of my former conquests!"

Then theres the added 'benefit' of all the free press that comes tack & tile any time one of your many ex's meets with disaster/fortune. Serial marriage 'artist' Jerry Bidwell and our former Gov. and child rapist Neil Goldschmidt are "best friends".

20. G. Lewis on January 20th, 2012 5:34 pm

I keep waiting for Anne Robinson to come out and say "Ron Paul, you are the Weakest Link. Good-bye."

21. Parker 51 on January 20th, 2012 8:20 pm