Another day, another story about crony capitalism:

Warren Buffett’s Burlington Northern Santa Fe LLC is among U.S. and Canadian railroads that stand to benefit from the Obama administration’s decision to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s Keystone XL oil pipeline permit.

With modest expansion, railroads can handle all new oil produced in western Canada through 2030, according to an analysis of the Keystone proposal by the U.S. State Department.

“Whatever people bring to us, we’re ready to haul,” Krista York-Wooley, a spokeswoman for Burlington Northern, a unit of Buffett’s Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK/A), said in an interview. If Keystone XL “doesn’t happen, we’re here to haul.”

It’s okay though, because Buffett will no doubt send any extra profit he makes directly to the US Treasury in order to lower the national debt (pause for laughter).

Buffett was so happy about the Keystone denial that he picked up a ukulele and sang “I’ve been working on the railroad”:

*****

Update: Guess who’s going to sit next to FLOTUS at the State of the Union speech tonight? Not Warren Buffett, but very close.

Comments

19 Responses to “What a Surprise: Obama Supporter’s Company May Benefit From Keystone Pipeline Rejection”

1. backwoodsconsr on January 24th, 2012 12:14 pm

Gee Doug, how do you get information like this? Every time I talk to an Obamabot all I hear about is Dick Cheney and Haliburton.

2. Marshall_Will on January 24th, 2012 1:00 pm

With some people it's clowns, with me, it's ukulele's. Without explanation they just freak me out. Put WB behind one, I'm straight trippin'.

"If Keystone XL “doesn’t happen, we’re here to haul.”

Translation: When our Bought & Paid For pResident pulls the plug on command we've already pre-ordered tanker cars to handle the volume. And at a price more indicative of a booming economy than a devastated one.

It's good to be The King ( and the only game in town )

3. Granny55 on January 24th, 2012 1:13 pm

Which one of our Doug Powers posters lives in Oregon?

4. Misscheryl on January 24th, 2012 1:27 pm

Oh please, this has nothing to do with Buffet and everything to do with Bush! /sarc

I do believe my head is going to explode.

5. clu seatoe on January 24th, 2012 1:37 pm

Buffett is not the only financial winner here.

Do you see the person shaking his hand in the photo? He didn’t do this because he’s such a swell guy. It could be that Buffett will be setting up an off-shore college trust (if it hasn’t happened already) for one or both of Loser’s offspring, guarantees of lifetime employment somewhere, or maybe even a trust for Loser’s grandspring when the offspring choose to mate. It could also be that much of it goes right into one his hidden accounts.

Do you really believe he doesn’t have’em? Like any African nation despot leader Loser’s only criteria for a decision is, how much is mine.

6. Misscheryl on January 24th, 2012 1:47 pm

Buffet's secretary (you know, the poor one because she pays so much in taxes) is sharing a box seat with Moocheellle during the state of the union. Either they don't care what people think, or they don't know what they think. This bares repeating:

Our country isn't dying because of who our politicians sleep with, it's dying because of who they're in bed with.

And least we forget, coal is what moves trains..you know – that stuff Obama hates and said he'd tax into oblivion because it doesn't meet EPA environmental standards.

7. Misscheryl on January 24th, 2012 1:50 pm

well said.

8. Marshall_Will on January 24th, 2012 2:37 pm

Granny,

That would be me. Does this mean I have to leave?

Dogs & Oregonians Keep Off The Grass!

9. Marshall_Will on January 24th, 2012 2:42 pm

Clu,

Just the tip o' the iceberg in Crony Reciprocity. Those are a given. Hell, 'any' president gets that shizz? Drill down and you'll find more entanglements that go beyond Boodle and begin to delve into the structural macro-economic picture.

Think: "I've got this thing. And it's GOLDEN. I'm not going to just GIVE it away!"

10. Granny55 on January 24th, 2012 2:56 pm

Oh heavens no!!! My daughter and son-in-law were in Hood River for a wedding this past weekend and I just wanted to comment on how beautiful it was. She sent pics and said she really enjoyed the scenery and area of Hood River – except for the idiot driver who didn't know how to drive on the snow and ice and darn near totaled their rental car.

11. Granny55 on January 24th, 2012 3:40 pm

Now, now, now – don't ya know that Govt. Motors is going to build a clean, green, electric train for Mr. Buffet to choo choo his goods down the track. Of course these trains will be taxpayer subsidized while in production too so ole Warren gets the best bang for his buck.

12. MilqueToast on January 24th, 2012 6:19 pm

Don't forget the military-industrial complex. The Left never got over the 60s.

13. Misscheryl on January 25th, 2012 12:14 am

I crack myself up. I told my husband about my comment and he started laughing…very hard. I asked him what was so funny and he said they quit using coal for trains about 100 years ago..D'oh me!

14. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2012 12:16 am

Weepy Bonehead Boehner plans to bring Keystone Pipeline supporters to the SOTU speech tonight.

Along with several Rs wearing "1,000 Days" pins, this might be fun to watch !

NOTE: I didn`t say "listen" !

15. backwoodsconsr on January 25th, 2012 1:11 am

I work around trains and didn't even notice that. I can you tell that trains haul a LOT of coal. I've driven railroad crews to get the empty coal cars out of power plants that use 100 carloads per day, and there are a lot of coal-fired power plants around. It shows how out of touch with reality the envirowackos are that they believe that much power generation can be replaced by wind and solar.

16. SignPainterGuy on January 25th, 2012 2:40 am

I spotted that earlier, but I`m such a nice guy today ! ;-)

You`re welcome !

If Buffet gets his electric trains, then they will be indirectly "coal powered" !

17. Misscheryl on January 25th, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks! I feel better! And to add to your comment, it's unfortunate our country has been governed by the envirowackos for the past 30 years and we can blame them for our dependency on foreign governments for our energy when we have plenty of it here and then they have the nerve to blame the republicans for the high cost of fuel. You just can't make this stuff up. While we argue about 4.00/gallon gas and who's to blame we allow the wackos a free pass. We know how to lower the price of fuel and get our people working again. You'd have to be a moron not to see the writing on that wall. Lets put the blame squarely where it belongs.

18. Misscheryl on January 25th, 2012 12:21 pm

You were very gentlemanly not to point out my ignorance…But feel free in the future…:) just be nice about it. LOL

19. EBL on January 27th, 2012 5:59 pm

http://evilbloggerlady.blogspot.com/2012/01/crony… It is good to be a friend of the Obamas!