For some people, the crop of Republican presidential candidates has left their thirst for conservatism as unwhetted as Michael Moore’s appetite at a vegan restaurant. Sean Hannity is becoming concerned that the criticism this leads to might be playing into the hands of Obama when the general election rolls around, and last night he asked my blog partner and columnist extraordinaire Michelle Malkin why she seems to offer more critique than praise of the candidates — one of whom we’ll need to defeat Obama in November.

I liked this exchange because it was cordial yet pointed. Click the pic to see watch the video at The Right Scoop:

*****

My view on on the primary season is that it’s sort of like boot camp, with the candidates being the recruits and the voters as the drill instructors. Part of the DI’s job is to weed out those who either can’t cut it or won’t be able to withstand the assault when the actual sh*t comes down. Primary season not as much a time for “hey, great job” as it is for kicks in the pants for purposes of course correction. This is training for political battle, not a Miss America contest (well, okay, sometimes it is). Hannity believes we must be supportive because one of these guys has to defeat Obama. I think voters need to be tough and thoroughly vet them… for exactly the same reason. Simply not being Barack Obama won’t be enough to win in November.

Then again, I’m speaking as somebody who isn’t completely sold on any of the final four yet. Your mileage may vary.

Comments

33 Responses to “Hannity to Malkin: What’s the Deal with Never Praising Any of the Republican Candidates?”

1. Misscheryl on January 26th, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm convinced he reads her blog. I for one am getting tired of the constant elitist like negativity toward the republican candidates from our side. OK, journalist, bloggers et al. don't exactly like who our candidates are – we get that. Move on and quit complaining…reminds me of what I've always said, be careful you don't become what you hate. The constant complaining instead of finding ways to move upward and onward with what we got aren't helping conservatives. Are we just stuck on stupid or maybe I am – maybe the point of all this negativity escapes my feeble brain.

2. Truesoldier on January 26th, 2012 4:14 pm

Forget about the blogoshpere, just look at the debates. If anyone is beating themselves it is the candidates themselves. When Newt goes after Romney for his time at Bain Capital or Romney goes after Newt for his "influence peddling" they are handing far more ammo to the Obama camp than any blog ever has.

It is pretty hard for anyone to praise the candidates when there is not much to praise them over.

3. Granny55 on January 26th, 2012 4:17 pm

I am already exhausted by the debates and the tone. They let the liberal moderators set the tone so they basically took the bait hook, line and sinker. Liberal media wins again. Just sucks!

4. Truesoldier on January 26th, 2012 4:21 pm

Agreed. The times I believe that Newt has done the best is when he challenges the premise of the moderators question. If the candidates did that more often I believe it would be a win win situation. We would see more of what each of the candidates stand for and the candidates would get good practice in debating Obama.

5. Misscheryl on January 26th, 2012 4:23 pm

True – it's what we have to work with right now. None of them are effective without a senate and congress. What good is it doing us to do this constant whining… MOVE ON!

6. Misscheryl on January 26th, 2012 4:25 pm

I for one see that the candidates aren't the only ones being vetted. My eyes have been open to some of the tactics of our "conservative" leaders and I don't like what I see. I'm disappointed in many of them. They are great dividers as well.

7. Truesoldier on January 26th, 2012 4:36 pm

I am moving on. I have written off the Presidency (I will vote for whomever the GOP nominates just to get Obama out of the WH) and have been working far harder on trying to help convince some folks with Conservative values run for office. I feel that our hope lies in a stronger Conservative presence in Congress and have argued that for a long time. Congress is where the legislation begins. If we have more Michelle Bachmans, Paul Ryans, Jim Demints and Marco Rubios in Congress then the only legislation that will reach the Presidents desk is Conservative legislation that will actually make things better.

8. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 4:42 pm

Hammer, meet nail ! It`s a quandary; as long as the majority of the debates are held on msm nets, we`re gonaa get little but baited questions, BUT, if all the debates were held on FOX , or conservative nets I`m thusfar unaware of, few would see them.

I really agree, Newt SHINES when he turns it around on the mods and re-frames the questions. Mitt did it a time or two. I`d love to see it more, but mostly, "I" want to see questions posed concerning REAL issues of importance to our nation`s freedoms and prosperity for everyone !

9. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 4:46 pm

Dividing for dividing`s sake is not good, but separating the wheat (conservative principles) from the chaff (lib nonsense), while "dividing", IS important to the process of vetting and directing the conservative movement !

10. Truesoldier on January 26th, 2012 4:46 pm

Totally agree. Questions about hypotheticals like what to do if a bunch of Cuban refugees come ashore are ridiculous when the country is facing serious real economic problems.

11. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 4:51 pm

As Rush pointed out, if he, or any of the other well known talk-show / blog hosts, indorse a candidate, or praise too much, then that host`s followers will fall in line with them and then the vetting process is derailed. They must remain neutral in individual support while being unrelenting in their push for conservative ideals !

MM is doing a great job at the vetting process, and is far more conservative than Hannity !

12. Misscheryl on January 26th, 2012 4:52 pm

Maybe, but this remains to be seen. I don't see much good coming out of it right now. I've always believed, instead of just complaining come up with a solution…

13. Marshall_Will on January 26th, 2012 4:53 pm

Sean tried everything to get MM to commit except ply her w/ liquor. Had they not been 3 Time Zones apart, I'm sure he would have. Michelle stood her ground. Good for her.

Her points regarding "Will they revert to Leftist tactics at the first sign of resistance!?" ( para ) are well taken. Will they "say anything, just to get elected?" Again, no THANKS. She left it unsaid, but; res ipsa loquitor!

It was great to see Sean address her w/ the respect she is due. Their last confrontation on this topic wasn't nearly as civil and for a time.., I thought Michelle would be distanced or even ditched by Fox for "her extremist views". Well, if letting these guys duke it out as they -should- is 'extremist' then go ahead and label me too!

14. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 4:53 pm

That too ! But let`s get the best one of the four pres. candidates possible !

15. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 4:59 pm

Yep, complaining is just the setup to the conversation ! We`re well aware of the bad, now we need to hear what good they offer ! And it must be better than, "I have a plan….. and my plan is … I have a plan ! Elect me and I`ll tell you what my plan is !" Hint: he learned it while serving in Vietnam ! ;-)

16. Misscheryl on January 26th, 2012 5:03 pm

and there you go! I've been saying the same all along. I'll vote for the GOP candidate and work to have a conservative senate and congress – That is my priority.

17. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 5:03 pm

Me too ! Extremely extremist !

I`m fairly well convinced after listening to Sean`s radio show, he`s an establishment R w/ a decidedly conservative bent, but not "pure" !

18. Marshall_Will on January 26th, 2012 5:05 pm

Right, we're circling the drain economically and having fun with MM's "Opposite Day" EVERY day at the WH!?

A plane crashes on the U.S/Canadian Border. Where are the survivors buried?

19. Marshall_Will on January 26th, 2012 5:08 pm

THAT is how you get a 105p Rating people!

Any time a Prog is employing semantics to further their agenda, "they're thinking outside the box and being creative with solutions".

When a Conservative stands on well-founded principles ( we're just being @-holes for the sake of being @-holes! )

20. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 5:25 pm

"they`re thinking outside the box …"

Yep, they have PHDs in Phraseology !

21. joyannaadams on January 26th, 2012 5:43 pm

Hey…I'm all for Michelle for President. I wish she was in these debates. Even Newt would be stammering!

She's GREAT!

Rush explained it well today. The quicker we pick a candidate, the longer Obama has to bash him. Money will run out. Even Mitt's. The longer we keep the debates going the better.

Makes sense to me.

22. Pasadena Phil on January 26th, 2012 5:51 pm

Thank you Doug. This post was so good (and overdue) that I am now going to have to start a Doug Powers shrine. I've been at several blogs defending Michelle against the partisan hacks who keep posting comments insisting that Michelle is a Romney shill or Gingrich shill or some other shill because she just won't shill for their candidate.

It is almost impossible to praise candidates who have for and against (mostly against) every issue conservatives care about and STILL can't get their message straight. What is most revealing is that even when they do get the message straight, they use leftist rhetoric to make their points! How dumb do these people think we are?!?!

(Update: I thought I would get enough extra credit for this post to get me over 70 but NO!)

23. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 5:53 pm

The "survivors" are buried under a mountain of media attention ! ;-)

24. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 6:01 pm

Soon, GrassHopper, soon ! ;-)

Well said and well done !

25. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 6:04 pm

Ditto that, Miss Nobody !

We can be impatient for 11-06-12, but let`s not get ahead of ourselves in the vetting process. It`s about defeating Capt. DownGrade, so we gotta pace ourselves !

26. Pasadena Phil on January 26th, 2012 6:06 pm

If this is the best the GOP has to offer for president, they're on their own. If we can't fix this with a brokered convention, I'll vote for the LO3E and focus on Congress.

27. Marshall_Will on January 26th, 2012 6:54 pm

"What is most revealing is that even when they do get the message straight, they use leftist rhetoric to make their points!"

Or Leftist tactics, strawmen and… semantics in general. I've been saying this for a long time. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see ( and Dims fear this ) a late development or dark horse somehow re-enter the race?

They HAVE their TP's already scripted out at the ready regardless who emerges. They're so itchin' to get at… whomever! it hurts. So I agree, there's no particular hurry. And in the end, this IS essentially "the race".

By Summer there'll be so much Shovel Ready dirt on Bammie reaching even the MSM, it will be a yawner going into the Fall.

28. Pasadena Phil on January 26th, 2012 8:37 pm

I also like when she points out that she has not endorsed anyone "LIKE YOU SEAN". The difference, of course, is that only the most obtuse would not realize that Hannity is practically Newt's head cheerleader by now.

Hannity was trying to corral Michelle like he does with everyone else and with success: get them to admit that anyone is better than Obama, get them to pledge they will back whoever wins the GOP nomination, get them to acknowledge that it is down to two candidates (currently Romney and Gingrich but used to be three when the two were Romney and Perry) and then zero in on the endorsement. He failed from square one and Michelle has explained why every time he presses her. He just won't budge from his stuck-on-a-rail thinking. Hannity is very linear and straight ahead. He just lacks the mental flexibility to not be the domineering "interviewer" that he is. Nothing but loaded and wordy questions while leaning in to pressure the interviewee to give the desired answer.

It just underscores the power of being explicit and consistent about your principles and never compromising. Michelle is bullet-proof because she is so consistently disciplined which goes a long way to her being articulate and persuasive. Hannity is one contradiction after another. Is he a conservative or a Conservative e.g.? If he is a Conservative, why does he never support his party's candidate? Then why is he a Conservative? He is NOT a conservative. Hannity is a Republican first, second and last.

29. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 9:00 pm

There`s your 70p !

30. Pasadena Phil on January 26th, 2012 9:07 pm

I finally slipped Doug a fiver. You can't fight the system forever.

31. SignPainterGuy on January 26th, 2012 9:13 pm

Pay the piper ! Keep those wheels greased !

32. Skip on January 29th, 2012 12:44 am

Hannity has not supported any of the candidates. He plays the middle just like Malkin. At least Limbaugh and Levin show support for a few.

I thought Matt Drudge was a conservative leaning website. No so! He clearly wants and is helping Romney take Gingrich down. Along with Coulter, Dole, etc. the GOP establishment. If Romney wins the nomination, Obama wins a second term.

33. Skip on January 29th, 2012 1:25 am

So what Gingrich supposed to do? Let the Romney super pac team run lies about him and his time as Speaker? So he hits back at Romney and he receives the blame.

If Gingrich does not win the nomination the rest of the field will be run over by the Obama machine. He has well over a $billion to use for his campaign. If he wins four more years…game over.