And I mean “the final stretch” as far as the Sunshine State’s primary goes — not in the “God’s waiting room” sense.

The latest polls put Romney back on top by about a dozen over Gingrich. Will Mitt take it, or will Newt have the eye of the tiger? Oops, I mean, will he have what it takes to win (I knew Survivor would eventually find a way to get back in the news).

Gingrich had been up in Florida for a short time by nearly double digits, but that disappeared so quickly the lead was either never actually there or Romney’s not really as far ahead as they’re now saying he is. It probably won’t be a runaway for Romney, though he seems to have gotten out to a lead among the early voters. And let’s not forget about Santorum. There’s always a chance for a surprise due to some last-minute disenchantment with the top two.

Meghan McCain writes that Newt should like totally quit the race after the Florida primary. I’m serious you guys!

Make your own predictions and place your bets! I’ll update tonight as the results come in (and I may be blogging at Michelle’s place as well… not sure yet).

Final question: How will Romney perform in the “cracker counties”?

*****

Update: The Florida primary has been called for Romney. I’m writing a little about it at Michelle’s site.

Comments

9 Responses to “Florida: The Final Stretch; Update: Romney Wins”

1. maladroit on January 31st, 2012 7:04 pm

Disenchantment with the top two? The past week has been a torturous blow-by-blow, televised competition to see who can sink lower. Even during the AFC/NFC Playoffs we were slapped across the face with Newt doot and Mitt schitt.

I was so PO'd by this morning that I looked at my ballot and put my hanging chad on Rick Santorum. And I can tell you; I wasn't the only one! There was a table set up in the parking lot with free coffee, donuts and danish (love this country!) and there were others who voted for Rick or Dr. Paul because of the horrible sliming of the Sunshine State by Mittens and Newty.
    They had better change their approach to TV advertising — quick.
    Seriously.

2. Truesoldier on January 31st, 2012 7:20 pm

Agreed. We all know they both have dirty laundry (most politicians do), but please of please start telling us why we should vote FOR you and not AGAINST the other guy.

3. SignPainterGuy on January 31st, 2012 8:34 pm

Good point ! As I`ve said many times, there are only "FOR" boxes, there are no "AGAINST" boxes on a ballot ! (except in referendums, of course)

4. SignPainterGuy on January 31st, 2012 8:37 pm

Negatividity turns me off as quickly as most anything, short of lying !

If your opponent has negatives, sure, point them out, but make a bigger deal out of your own positives !

5. Granny55 on January 31st, 2012 9:30 pm

I so agree with all of your sentiments and it is sending me in Santorums direction because of it.

6. Erin on February 2nd, 2012 5:08 am

That's typically how it works…for those who lack control, they try and control every one else…dysfunctional and emotionally stunted.
    Lubbock Self Storage

7. maladroit on February 2nd, 2012 9:44 pm

Think of all the wasted $$ that could have been spent attacking the REAL PROBLEM; the Kenyan boy-king in DC.

8. rain on December 6th, 2012 4:37 am

well that all what politics is all about..what else is new.

9. PassbeeMedia on March 15th, 2014 5:50 am

My partner and i and so go along with all of your current comments and it's transmitting everyone throughout Santorums direction because of it.