No matter what any of the Republicans say, their words will be sampled, clipped and edited to suit the purpose of ads from the left. That’s politics. But Mitt Romney just let one fly that is a shoo-in to be in an Obama ad very soon.

From CNN:

After winning the Florida primary, GOP presidential nominee hopeful Mitt Romney explains to CNN anchor Soledad O’Brien that he is focused on a particular portion of the American population in his campaign.

Romney says, “I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs a repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich…. I’m concerned about the very heart of America, the 90-95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling.”

O’Brien asked him to clarify his remarks saying, “There are lots of very poor Americans who are struggling who would say, ‘That sounds odd.’”

Romney continues, “We will hear from the Democrat party, the plight of the poor…. You can focus on the very poor, that’s not my focus…. The middle income Americans, they’re the folks that are really struggling right now and they need someone that can help get this economy going for them.”

Oh Mitt. Those first seven words will be all we’ll hear in Team Obama ads for a while, and to top it off they’ll probably Photoshop Romney so he looks like Homer Simpson’s boss.

Now, maybe Romney’s thinking is that the vast majority of the “very poor” are going to vote for Obama en masse as they did in 2008 and it doesn’t really matter, but I wish he would stop serving up the soundbytes on a silver platter like this:

*****

Now watch Romney dig a deeper hole and try to rectify this by saying “Of course I care about the poor. That’s why I came up with Romneycare. No, wait…”

Obama is so beatable this year that it’s a shame I’m not convinced the GOP has propelled a candidate to the front of the pack that can win in November. Somewhere a while back I read a question that summed up my concern: We’re going to try to win the presidency by running the guy who lost to the guy who lost to Obama in 2008?

Update: Yup, that didn’t take long at all.

Comments

11 Responses to “Romney Generates New Soundbyte for Upcoming Obama Ad”

1. backwoodsconsr on February 1st, 2012 12:53 pm

Don't worry about it. That's just Mitt showing off how very electable he is.

2. Truesoldier on February 1st, 2012 1:56 pm

I can see it now. Team Obama will couple this latest soundbyte with the "I like to fire people" soundbyte. Perhaps Romney needs a teleprompter as well.

3. backwoodsconsr on February 1st, 2012 2:02 pm

Romney could make a lot of headway with the cattle ranchers by telling them how much he knows about hoof-in-mouth disease.

4. Granny55 on February 1st, 2012 2:16 pm

Gawd, see what happens when we let the elites and media choose a candidate. I somewhat agree with what he states because there are many, many, many local, state and federal safety nets for our poor and yes middle americans need relief from the governments stranglehold but…….he could have worded it so much better. This will come back to bite him. Hello, four more years of marxist/socialist gerry mandering.

5. SignPainterGuy on February 1st, 2012 2:48 pm

Next thing ya know, Mitt will try to sing the National Anthem … in public !

6. Dexter_Alarius on February 1st, 2012 4:16 pm

Mitt, Mitt, Mitt. Okay, now write this down 100 times:
    "Lowering taxes, reducing the size of Government, cutting spending, eliminating job-killing regulations and other proven Conservative Principles that I embrace will grow the economy to the benefit of ALL Americans."

7. backwoodsconsr on February 1st, 2012 4:30 pm

Mitt Romney hates black people.

/Kanye West

8. SignPainterGuy on February 1st, 2012 8:24 pm

All white people are racists and hate black people !

/ Someone somewhere

9. Whitney on February 2nd, 2012 5:12 am

My Dad told me that when people would tell him they`d heard there was good money in the sign biz, he`d tell them, "Well, if there is, it`s still there `cause he hadn`t bothered much of it !"

10. Lippincott on February 2nd, 2012 5:13 am

I used to think he had the issue of race figured out, but not anymore.
    Hair Products Vancouver

11. vinduer og døre on May 11th, 2012 9:03 am

The United States maintains that China's actions hurt American Secretary of Commerce, and the third Asian American in Obama's cabinet, joining Energy Secretary.