In December, Michigan Rep. John Dingell, the dusty relic who’s been in Congress so long his length of service can only be determined by carbon-14 dating, claimed the Chevy Volt is “selling like hot cakes.”

What Dingell didn’t mention is that the hot cakes in question are being sold to macrobiotics.

The Detroit News has the January sales figures for the Volt:

Washington- General Motors extended-range electric Chevrolet Volt had its worst sales month since August, as negative publicity over fire risks hurt vehicles sales in January.

GM sold just 603 Volts – above its sales in January 2011, but far below GM’s best-ever sales month in December, when GM sold 1,529 Volts.

Last week, GM North America President Mark Reuss said sales of the Volt have been hurt by bad publicity.

“Bad publicity”? Please. The Volt sales are low because there wasn’t demand for it in the first place!

Sometimes I’m inclined to believe that somebody invented the circumstances surrounding the recall (er, I mean “call back” — sorry) so they’d have an excuse to justify lousy sales on a car that has cost taxpayers a fortune.

Comments

68 Responses to “Those Chevy Volts Sure are Selling Like Hot Cakes”

1. Dexter_Alarius on February 2nd, 2012 12:08 pm

"Volt sales are low because there wasn’t demand for it in the first place!"

I understand California is fixing that problem with a legislated demand. When dealers can't meet their quota, they'll probably start giving one away with each SUV or Pickup purchased.

2. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 12:23 pm

So when you buy a real car you'll get a toy model of one to take home with you?

3. Dexter_Alarius on February 2nd, 2012 12:32 pm

Yes, Batteries included.
    (WARNING: Fire Hazard)

4. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 12:49 pm

Hot dog!

5. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 1:43 pm

Maybe they could sell you the Volt and throw in his and hers fire extinguishers.

6. Truesoldier on February 2nd, 2012 2:08 pm

Makes me wonder if that legislation will also cover rental car customers? That would really suck to be the 7th person in line at the rental car counter to find out you are the (un)lucky person to be selected for the Volt.

7. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 2:14 pm

Speaking of legislation, WA ST is looking at charging electric car owners an additional $100 a year when the renew their registration due to the loss of gas tax revenue.

8. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:28 pm

We knew it was only a matter of time !

Look out BWC, Truesoldier is being counted / rated now !!

9. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:31 pm

Will "Hers" be pink ?

10. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 2:35 pm

Misscheryl has the jump on him. If he gets past her, then I'll start worrying.

11. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:40 pm

I saw a Dolt commercial last night; two kids talking thru the car from either side and to the driver / owner. They were commenting about the "tanks" on either side. I liked the "electric tank" on the drivers side.

The owner "bragged" about driving "35 miles on a charge" and MUCH FARTHER on the other tank !

12. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 2:41 pm

Yes, and the powder will be scented.

13. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:41 pm

If your glove box is large enough, yes !

14. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:42 pm

+1 and "+1" ! ;-)

15. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 2:44 pm

If they think the sales are sagging now just wait till the federal subsidy for the charging stations end. Right now, the electric car owners are not paying anything to "fill up", but I believe starting next year they will have to start paying at the pump. I am guessing that the cost to charge up is not going to be as low as the electric car owners are guessing.

16. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 2:44 pm

Was the owner tanked when he bought it?

17. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 2:45 pm

I figured it was about time I get with the program…lol

18. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:48 pm

I think the "hot cakes" analogy is fitting after the fires.

Around here, there`s a tradition of fund raising with "Pancake Breakfasts". My first one as a kid was a terrible experience. I loves pancakes, but not burnt ones. My second was the same, so now, I just give money !

As for the Dolt, all I gots is, "No thanks !"

19. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:52 pm

Yep, the "electric pumps" here have card readers.

20. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:54 pm

Not sure; he looked like the type who was born hugging a gov. tree !

21. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 2:55 pm

There`s rabbits in your counter ! 1p, 4p now 8p; it`s multiplying !!

22. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 2:59 pm

Speaking of the battery fires, has GM decided whether or not they will include post crash kit for draining the battery as standard equipment or will it be an optional feature?

23. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 3:00 pm

I am suprised that he was bragging about it and not shocked instead!

24. Granny55 on February 2nd, 2012 3:04 pm

I believe I saw a comparison on the news this morning on January sales……

603 Volts
    28,000+ Toyota Camry
    38,000+ Ford F150 Pickups

Just about says it all regarding demand.

25. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:05 pm

Dealers will have the "draining facility". Owners will have an "On Star" direct link to the local Hazmat Team !

26. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 3:08 pm

I was always good at multiplication, just ask the Mrs.

27. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:12 pm

Yes indeedy do ! At least as long as we still have a choice in the matter !

28. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 3:13 pm

Any idea on what the kWh charge is going to be? Not to mention how exactly to the libtards plan on keeping up with the increased demand for electricity when they block the building of new power plants for enviornmental reasons?

29. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:14 pm

Bless her heart ! ;-)

30. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:16 pm

(Un)lucky indeed; especially when he watches #s 5 and 6 drive off in a convertible Mustang and Camaro !

31. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 3:17 pm

I can see why the Ford F150 is sitll tops. It is a great truck made by a company that didn't take a bailout. Just one more reason I love mine :)

32. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 3:18 pm

LOL…I can't wait for the On-Star commercial where they reply a Volt battery fire call…….

33. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:19 pm

"Sap" from those gov`t trees …. effects the mind !

34. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:24 pm

The kwh charge will depend on how much they can convince themselves they can get away with ! As for future electricity demands, pixie dust and unicorn farts figure heavily in their calculations !

REAL FACTS ! Ppffffft, we don`t need no stinking facts !

35. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:32 pm

Regretably, I`ll be looking to replace my `98 Cheby before too long. I need to drive a Ford so I can see how they drive. I`ve only driven ton + -rated Fords post 2000 and wasn`t interested in an F-150 till now. I still like the Cheby "look" better, but I`m gonna stretch my horizons a bit next time ! Have you driven a new Chevy for comparison ?

36. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 3:44 pm

We bought on 2009 F-150 a couple of years ago. When we went shopping for a new truck (we were replacing our 2003 Durango that just did not have the space for the wife, 4 boys, and me and still have storage space). We test drove the the Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan, and Chevy Silverado. The Tundra and Titan felt like they drove too much like a car (my truck has to feel like a truck). The Chevy wasn't bad, but it felt a bit sluggish in comparison to the Ford. It also helped that we got a steal of a deal on the F150. It was a one year old used truck with all the bells and whistles (to include a really high end bed cover) and only had 3500 miles on it. To make the deal even better the wife talked them into throwing in a linex spray on liner at no cost. Total on the truck after trade in was just a hair over $20k (the truck priced out online for almost $50k).

37. Misscheryl on February 2nd, 2012 3:47 pm

Huh? Whud I miss? You thought I wouldn't see this diduntcha?

38. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 3:55 pm

$50,000 !! Yep, it seems all of them fall there.

I went on-line to Ford, Chevy, H-D and Honda; "built my own" ….. gee whiz ! The trucks are 50 grand and the bikes are $30,000 !

For the fun of it, I played with the Shelby GT-500; it`s 53 grand ! Oooooh !

Since the makers realized they could sell a bazillion trucks if they turned them into luxury cars, they became quite proud of them !

39. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 4:02 pm

Just one more reason we went with a used one. If you search around on the local dealer websites you can usually find one with everything you want just a year or two older for half the price. So many people were buying them at the $50k mark, after taking out a home equity line of credit and then having them repoed that there are some really good deals on low mileage used trucks.

40. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 4:04 pm

No kidding. It would seem that liberals think that if they just truly believe in something and click their heels 3 times that it will turn into fact.

41. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 4:23 pm

Oh yes, fer sher ! I bought mine in 2000. I have bought one new car and don`t need to again. The Ford dealer here is a distributorship, the largest in the region, so they either have it or can get it !

The local Toyota dealer is as well; I`ve ALWAYS loved the Tacoma, but they aren`t large enough for my biz (4'x8' plywood won`t lay down in the bed) and I don`t care for the HUGE-looking Tundra. Forget Nissan !

42. Jimbo on February 2nd, 2012 4:29 pm

Where do the greenies get thier electricity to charge their tinker toys?

Coal burning plants. What a pack of idiots.

43. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 4:48 pm

It is sad that so many people never stop to think where the electricity comes from; instead the only care that the light turns on when they flip the switch.

Here is WA ST we have seen our electic rates go up and up over the past few years and the voters have no one to blame but themselves (though they tend to blame the "greedy" electric companies). A few years ago they had an initiative on the ballot that would require that the majority of energy used in the state came from renewable energy sources and if it did not then the electric companies would be fined.

Here are the two problems they ran into. First, the obvious one. When the electric companies got fined they passed it onto the consumer (duh).

The second problem stemmed from the list of renewable energy. Most people figured the state was close to making the goal from the onset of the initative as we get a lot of power from hydroelectric plants (it is WA ST after all). What the voters did not read was the fine print that said that hydroelectricity was not considered a renewable resource.

44. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 4:50 pm

That is why I love my F150. the bed is big enough to haul wahtever I need and the cab is still roomy wnough to sit all six of us (with the bench seat). Our two oldest boys need their leg room (they are aged 13 and are 5'3" and 12 and are 5'1"). the super cab has enough leg room for those two with room to grow.

45. Misscheryl on February 2nd, 2012 5:32 pm

ever watchful am I….so much so that I see you're up to 21p – how'd you do that?

46. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 7:15 pm

That is quite a jump, but you know as well as I do that scoring points is like paddling up a river. The farther up you get the more resistance you meet (think current) and the harder it is to get anywhere.

47. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 7:26 pm

Read further down in the comments and you will see I have experience in multiplication ;)

48. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 7:27 pm

So very true. At that point the best you can hope for is to anchor yourself in place.

49. Misscheryl on February 2nd, 2012 7:44 pm
  50. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 8:27 pm

Water is not a renewable resource ? Inconceivable !!

Right after Katrina clobbered New Orleans, a news crew asked some guys they spotted carrying off a flat screen TV they`d pilfered where they intended to get power to operate it !? The response, "The wall !"

Can`t make this stuff up !

51. Misscheryl on February 2nd, 2012 8:35 pm

Yeah, didn't I read somewhere on MM's blog you have about 30 kids?

52. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 8:36 pm

Ooooh, where to start ?

The car isn`t all that special, we just aren`t that into Oblamer, the car doesn`t have nice "Dubs" (22" wheels), no 3,000 watt – 20 speaker thumpin` stereo, probably only has one DVD player, no limo-tint (blacked out) windows …… rear-seat stains.

53. Misscheryl on February 2nd, 2012 8:37 pm

Unfortunately, many of those from New Orleans like the ones stealing the TVs live here in Tulsa now – that's one reason our crime rate has increased and our collective IQ has decreased.but that's another story.

54. Misscheryl on February 2nd, 2012 8:54 pm

nobody want's that nasty black man's car.

55. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 9:01 pm

My Sis is in Jackson,MS. The same happened there, but most went back or somewhere; the cops broke bad on `em, so they left ! Crime skyrocketed, like your and Truesoldier`s numbers ;-), in the mean time !

56. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 9:12 pm

Mine is an extended cab, 2-door; I wish it were 3 or 4, but I don`t need a crew cab, nor do I need more than a standard length bed. Also, 4×4 is a must; I love to drive in the snow and occasionally have to go way out n up in the boonies where real estate agents have me stick signs !

57. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 9:18 pm

Too bad. Obama said you're going to have to learn to get by with a Smart car and that's that.

58. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 9:19 pm

Maybe they can use some of the charge they get out of telling people what to do.

59. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 9:21 pm

Obama will be disappointed to learn that revolting doesn't mean going out and buying another one.

60. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 9:27 pm

I wanna see a Smart Car with my 28' ladder tied to the top ! Are lawn trailers allowed ? Can`t pull anything bigger behind one !

61. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 9:30 pm

You are of course assuming that Zero CAN learn ! I`ve seen little or no evidence of it ! He still believes in marxism and that people are fooled by his lies !

62. backwoodsconsr on February 2nd, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm waiting for them to explain to me why it's smart to drive to the grocery store every day because the car they make me drive won't hold a week's worth of groceries.

63. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 9:32 pm

That`s partly why I asked about the lawn trailer !

64. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 10:12 pm

LOL…I think my wife would have casterated me by now if that were the case…

65. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 10:14 pm

Well if Obama gets four more years and implements the rest of his agenda food lines will be the next big thing, so you wont have a choice but to go every other day or so anyway.

66. SignPainterGuy on February 2nd, 2012 10:21 pm

Oooh, subtracting ! Ouch !!

67. Truesoldier__ on February 2nd, 2012 10:22 pm

I once asked one of these idiots what Osmosis is….they replied a really hip band.

68. ChapBixl on February 4th, 2012 2:22 am

In December, Michigan Rep. John Dingell, the dusty [and rusty] relic who’s been in Congress so long his length of service can only be determined by carbon-14 dating, claimed the Chevy Volt is “selling like hot cakes.”

Doug was too polite and civil to add the "[and rusty]" portion. I added it for him.