Okay, so you might not be excited about this year’s crop of Republican candidates. I understand that, but over the weekend I heard from some people who might not even vote as a result of their disgruntlement. So if you might be included in that mix, here’s something else to keep in mind about what’s at stake:

A second term for President Barack Obama would allow him to expand his replacement of Republican-appointed majorities with Democratic ones on the nation’s appeals courts, the final stop for almost all challenged federal court rulings.

Despite his slow start in nominating judges and Republican delays in Senate confirmations, Obama has still managed to alter the balance of power on four of the nation’s 13 circuit courts of appeals. Given a second term, Obama could have the chance to install Democratic majorities on several others.

Fourteen of the 25 appeals court judges nominated by Obama replaced Republican appointees.

The next president, whether it’s Obama or a Republican, also has a reasonable shot at transforming the majority on the Supreme Court, because three justices representing the closely divided court’s liberal and conservative wings, as well as its center, will turn 80 before the next presidential term ends.

Don’t worry though — yesterday Obama said he’s getting “better as time goes on,” so I’m sure this is his way of telling us he’s getting more moderate.

Comments

38 Responses to “Need Another Motivation to Vote Obama Out?”

1. Dexter_Alarius on February 6th, 2012 2:00 pm

This more than anything else is reason enough not to sit out the election! The other being the rest of the ballot: increasing the GOP majority in the House, taking the Senate, electing Conservatives to State and Local positions, defeating Liberal ballot measures. Do not stay home!

2. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 2:04 pm

If you think Obama is bad now, just wait till a second term. All his "going around Congress" via the EO is just to see how much he can get away with right now. If he is re-eolected I am certain that it will only get worse.

I can understand that the GOP field is not what we would like to see, so I propose we do are best to work on boosting real Conservatives in the House and Senate and vote for anyone but Obama as president. If we can increase the number of Conservatives in the House and Senate enough to insist on leadership change to replace Boehner and McConnel then we have a chance to undo this mess that Obama and the limp wristed RINO's have hoisted on us.

3. @nichelob on February 6th, 2012 2:05 pm

Doug, wouldn't there be A LOT of room to the right if we're left with Obama or Romney? Even if you factor in a Johnson (L), there's still a huge gap between Obamney and Johnson.

Obama(D)…Romney(R)…………………………………………………..Johnson(L)

My guess is that someone will fill the void and will get the total turnout during the general election on par with 2008. Question is, who?

4. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 2:07 pm

"Unless we think that Romney, Gingrich, Santorum or Paul would appoint equally leftist, Alinskyite judges who could throw the balance of the courts way to the left for decades to come, there is at least one reason not to stay home on Election Day."

Coin flip with Romney and Gingrich. But people should NOT be promising to vote for whoever the GOP elites cram down our throats. As Michelle says in her latest post, nothing is inevitable in politics and Santorum's "electabilibity" numbers suddenly make him look like the only one who can beat Obama.

We need a brokered convention so we can finally break the stranglehold that the dirty money and their intermediaries have over the GOP. We can't do that with appeals for people to rally around "anybody but Obama". Obama is not the problem, the corrupt and entrenched one-party establishment is the problem We need a brokered convention to create a real opposition party.

I am tired of fighting liberal low-IQ Republicans and their nose holding enablers. When do we get to the part where we rally to fight liberal DEMOCRATS? This is a mess that was created by the GOP establishment. I will never vote for Rombama or Gingrich. But I WILL vote.

5. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 2:42 pm

Again Phil, a brokered convention wil almost guarantee a Romney or a Gignrich win. Whom do you think gets to vote on the nominee in a brokered convention? It is the delegates that get a vote, not you nor I. Who do you think picks the actual people to be delegates at the convention? It is usually the state party apparatus, not you nor I. In otherwords Phil, if it goes to a brokered convention it will be the "dirty money and their intermediaries" whom will be picking the nominee.

6. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 2:49 pm

And I repeat, I disagree. It is GUARANTEED NOW. Even if a brokered convention also ends up with Rombama or BJ Gingrich, it puts the GOP establishment on its heels by laying the foundation for a mass exodus of a big block of us ("following Abe Lincoln out of the Whigs") if they double down with their cram down. We are giving the "dirty money and their intermediaries" one more chance to avoid catastrophe by undoing the damage they have already done. The country club is currently a closed system. If it is impossible for us conservatives to participate in party leadership no matter how many elections we win, we have no reason to stay with the GOP.

We absolutely need to go there. Your way is surrender without a fight. And if you read that link I provided, it looks like losing to Obama has always been the plan. This year is about knocking out the conservatives to clear the decks for Jebbie in 2016.

7. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 2:59 pm

Yeah Phil and 2008 was all about loosing McCain loosing to Obama to bring about the next Ronald Reagan and 2006 was about teaching the GOP a lesson by not voting so that they would loose the House and Senate. I see how well that has worked out so far.

In the meantime, I plan on doing what I can to help Santorum out. He is the best choice for me out of who is running and that is what elections are about. Finding the candidate that is running that is as close to your ideals as possible and working towards helping them win the nomination. Unlike you I am not buying into the "it is already decided" deal. If that is the case then a brokered convention would not matter anyway.

As for your "a mass exodus of a big block of us" good luck with that. You haven't been able to get that done in California as of yet, so what makes you think it will happen on a national scale?

8. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 3:03 pm

As for the link, I did read it. Gee this coming from a guy (the author of the piece) who claims that Reagonomics was a failure and is a paid staffer for Ron Paul.

9. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 3:08 pm

Do you see what you are doing? You couldn't address the message so you attacked the messenger. His analysis is largely correct. That is what everyone does with Ron Paul. Do you see why the GOP never changes? "Conservatives" are open to reforming the corrupt and closed GOP country club so long as we keep it just like it is. No alternatives are worth discussing so long as they re-enforce the status quo.

YOU are advocating doing nothing. Trying ANYTHING is better than that. How does surrender lead to victory? Maybe you need to work on your definition of what constitutes victory.

10. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 3:12 pm

As to dragging CA into this, Texas and Florida have been taken over by dirty Bush money while being repopulated by liberal northern expatriates and illegal immigrants. It may give you provincials some comfort believing that what happened in CA can't happen where you are but it is happening in every single state. Ignorance may be bliss but it is not a good strategy.

BTW, I sense no willingness to fight anything but those of us who are trying to change the status quo. What are you "Truesoldier" of?

11. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 3:20 pm

I did address the issue. I pointed out the same thing was said in 2008 with McCain and that 2006 was to punish the GOP. As for attacking the messenger just pointing out that the author has a dog in the fight. By being a paid Ron Paul staffer he wants to see his boss do better. Writting some column without any real proof (just some ineundos) seems to me like nothing short of trying to attack the presumed front runners.

As for advocating doing nothing, I have laid out my plans to work to elect a more Conservative Congress (I like Dexters idea of doing this at all levels to effect real change). So maybe you need to read what I post then to lob false accusations.

12. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 3:23 pm

Look Phil. we disagree on how to go about things that is fine. All I did was point out that a brokered convention is not going to effect the change you think it will. You disagree that is fine, but attacking those that disagree with you as nose holders or low-IQ republicans is not going to win you over any converts and will just lead to people skipping your posts here on Doug's blogs like many are doing at MM blog.

13. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 3:34 pm

You are addressing comments I made on another blog. Our disagreement can be reduced to you arguing that we should hold our noses and surrender versus doing something. I advocate doing something.

Watch this video:

It's an excellent rap video debating Keynes vs Hayak economics. Doesn't it bother you that the Keynesians have control of "both" parties"? What are you going to do about it? Does this video help you understand why Sarah Palin is urging the GOP establishment to listen to Ron Paul? While people like you are stuck in a geriatric echo chamber, Ron Paul is actually getting his message out to the young voters and energizing them. Romney? Gingrich? Puhleaze! It's yet another lame Elvis vs Pat Boone contest.

14. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 3:38 pm

My point is you cannot even effect any of the changes you claim in your own state of Califronia so why should we believe that you can do it nationally? Instead of answering that you bring in FL and TX.

As for my moniker…I really hope you are not going there. I was a solider in the Army who served my country honorably for 12 years before injuries suffered while serving in Iraq forced me into an honarable medical discharge. I have been using this moniker during the time I was in the military and continue to use it this day.

So now you want to attack me personally. Bring it buddy. This is exactly what liberal trolls have done on other sites with my moniker. So I am used to it and it only proves to me that you cannot debate me on the issues so you have to go personal.

15. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 3:43 pm

Sorry. I dont care much for rap and as I have pointed out I am doing something. Just because you disagree with me on how to do things I am now a nose-holder, someone who surrenders and then you attack me based on my moniker. Sorry but you have lost me to your cause for all time (just like you have many others on multiple blogs I am sure).

16. SignPainterGuy on February 6th, 2012 4:51 pm

You can`t spell "crap" without R-A-P ! I HATE it !

17. OK_Loyalist on February 6th, 2012 4:52 pm

He pulled the same crap with me. He earned himself the name Phildo for obvious reasons. The reality is, he's a lying sack of sh!t that does more to promote a leftist agenda than anything.

18. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 5:13 pm

The Giants (GOP establishment) has already won the game. The Patriots (us) force the game into overtime (brokered convention). We go from having no chance to having a chance. What is it that you don't understand?

19. SignPainterGuy on February 6th, 2012 5:14 pm

I wouldn`t sit out this election if you paid me to ! Way too much is at stake !

I`m really proud of NC since 2010 for electing R majorities in both state houses (1st time in 103 yrs), redrawing election districts, pushing conservative bills, countering Gov. Perdue`s vetoes and causing her to decide to NOT seek re-election, and the momentum is building. Heath Schuler (blue-dog dem) has decided not to seek re-election (he sees the writing on the wall AND he wants away from NanP).

20. SignPainterGuy on February 6th, 2012 5:19 pm

Meant to add; the dems are squealing like stuck pigs and it`s music to my ears !

Confidence people, confidence !

21. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 5:28 pm

I heard that about Purdue not seeking re-election. NC has shown some spunk as has WI and Indiana. Even Florida is putting forth some good welform reform legislation (even if it is being challenged in the courts). Overall the country IS Conservatives and it seems that on the state level they have awaken and are looking to make the needed changes. With any luck the momentum will continue to roll up hill until we clean up the Federal level as well.

22. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 5:39 pm

HA!!! and the Patriots still lost. Gee not a very good analogy is it when you think about it. Then again maybe it wasn't an analagy and more of a prophecy regarding your "big block" of people walking out of the party.

In the meantime us grown ups are going to actually work on reforming and revitalizing the party from within (you know like Reagan said) by electing Conservatives at the local, state and federal level instead of throwing in the towel.

23. SignPainterGuy on February 6th, 2012 5:49 pm

It`s encouraging and still scary; we can`t take anything for granted, except of course the dems have $Billions in stolen / unspent Porkulus funds and they WILL spend it to defeat us !

And don`t forget or dismiss the notion that Zero can and likely will declare a state of emergency to halt elections. They are and will accelerate attempts to push us into becoming violent; just the excuse they`ll need to declare said SofE !!

Btw, have you signed on w/ the "Oath Keepers" ?

24. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 5:49 pm

You didn't even get the Patriots analogy. You really are an idiot. How would you have felt being YOU (establishment) having already won the game but forced into OT (brokered convention) by ME where I had a chance to win? Under which scenario do I have a chance to win? Having already lost in regulation or taking it into OT? Am I going to fast for you "adults"?

We already saw what happens when conservatives try to work within the party. They war on us and change the rules. Talk to Joe Miller in Alaska and Chuck Devore in CA.

Is this over your head? Now you and your bonehead friends going to bring your monkey piles here too? Do you know another word for monkey pile logic? Mob rule. Science isn't settled by vote and arguments aren't won by mobs of idiots.

25. OK_Loyalist on February 6th, 2012 5:52 pm

Before the era of presidential primary elections, political party conventions were routinely brokered. Adlai Stevenson (of the 1952 Democratic Party) and Thomas Dewey (of the 1948 Republican Party) were the most recent "brokered convention" presidential nominees. The last winning U.S. presidential nominee produced by a brokered convention was Franklin D. Roosevelt, in 1932.

As you know a brokered convention is rare and probably stands ZERO chance of happening in 2012. Who gains most if the GOP were to have a brokered convention, Barack Obama, and best guess that is why Phil is promoting it. He truly is a Dildo!

26. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 6:01 pm

I am really getting tired of your constantly trying to belittle any and all that disagree with you.

You complain that others always start it, you claim everyone else is bringing it here, you are always the vicitm aren't you Phil.

You know what all these things have in common Phil? It is you that are the issue, so stop playing the victim card and grow up.

27. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 6:02 pm

This thread is a great example for why conservatives choose to stay home rather than vote. We are treated every bit as badly by Republicans and we are by Democrats. What's the point? If voting 3rd party really is throwing our vote away (and I disagree), then why vote at all? "Either" party takes us to the same place. How do I know? Seriously? You have to ask?

28. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 6:03 pm

That would not surprise me in the least bit. A state of emergency would be right up Obummers alley and straight out of the Alinsky playbook.

As for Oath Keepers, Just signed up thanks for the info.

29. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 6:09 pm

As to the difference between Obamney and Rombama on juddges, Rombama is going to be advised by John Sununu (remember judge Souter?) on his judiciary nominations. There just is no upside with Rombama. He is a virtual clone of Obamney as Michelle has made clear so often.

30. OK_Loyalist on February 6th, 2012 6:13 pm

One last time, Conservatives aren't liars, you are, so quit trying to convince people otherwise!

31. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 6:14 pm

Once again Phil has decided he is the keeper of whom can where the Conservative mantle.

If we treat you sooooo bad why do you keep coming back for more. Or more to the point you can dish it out (all your name calling and belittling) but you can't take it.

32. backwoodsconsr on February 6th, 2012 6:16 pm

TS, you've seen for yourself why it's a waste of time and effort to engage Phil. Troll is as troll does.

33. Pasadena Phil on February 6th, 2012 6:19 pm

Monkey pile!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! You guys are not worth the effort. Obtuse.

34. Truesoldier__ on February 6th, 2012 6:21 pm

Yeah you are right of course. I guess it is in my nature that when someone attacks I don't back down.

35. backwoodsconsr on February 6th, 2012 6:45 pm

I'd say that's a quality that made you well suited for serving in our armed forces. I'm glad our country has such people.

36. SignPainterGuy on February 6th, 2012 9:01 pm

You struck me early on as the "Keeper of Your Oath" type !

37. SignPainterGuy on February 6th, 2012 9:22 pm

Ditto !

38. Bella Lee on April 16th, 2012 8:06 am

Obama is playing right into your psyche,…..If it's repeated over and over enough, you will begin to believe it……Shake it off, don't let Obama control your mind! A friend