It’s looking like this could be a three-way race at least through Super Tuesday, which is in about a month.

RIck Santorum swept caucuses in Colorado, Missouri and Minnesota yesterday.

Most interesting was Minnesota, where Santorum won 45% of the vote, compared to a third place Romney, who got only 17% of the vote. As Michelle Malkin pointed out, so much for the value of a Tim Pawlenty endorsement in the Gopher State. In 2008, Romney received 41% of the caucus vote in Minnesota, so Santorum’s big win there removed another brick from the “most electable candidate” structure the GOP establishment has hastily constructed around Mitt this year.

Here’s a rough delegate count so far, but keep in mind that even though Santorum won three state caucuses yesterday, no delegates have actually been awarded yet:

Romney: 106
Gingrich: 38
Santorum: 22
Paul: 20

The delegate process will take place in the near future at district conventions and precinct caucuses.

Super Tuesday will pretty much make or break the pack, but at least Romney’s getting some serious challenge.

Here are some clips from Santorum, Romney, Gingrich and Paul speeches last night. I liked Santorum’s “conservatism won” line — and it’s convincing because for the most part he can say that without having to fake it to some degree. My second favorite was Gingrich’s dig on how unemployment figures are calculated under the rules of Obamanomics: “Under that model, there is zero percent unemployment if we all quit looking for work”:

Comments

14 Responses to “Santorum Sweep”

1. maladroit on February 8th, 2012 12:03 pm

I voted for Rick in Fl because he displayed intelligence and class during the debate and didn't partake in the schoolyard brawl 'tween lil' Newty and Mittens.
    Those 2 buffoons oughta grow up. (Then they'll be big RINOs instead of pissant RINOs.)
    But if nominated, could Rick really beat the boy king from Keny…..oops I mean, Hawaii?

2. maladroit on February 8th, 2012 12:09 pm

Fox just changed the numbers to:
    Romney 107
    Santorum 45
    Gingrich 32
    Paul 7

3. clu seatoe on February 8th, 2012 1:48 pm

Congratulations Rick Santorum!

4. Granny55 on February 8th, 2012 2:03 pm

I wasn't a fan of Santorum because of his involvement with Sean Hannity in the Terry Shiavo case. I know he has a strong commitment to right to life issues and I can appreciate that, but if he goes overboard on them, it will sink him. I also think he needs to brush up on his foreign policy too. He was part of a big spending senate also. So he has some baggage….but I think if he keeps espousing common sense economics, values, etc. I could vote for him. Newt and Romney have completely turned me off with their gutter sniping. Ron Paul is a kook.

5. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2012 2:19 pm

Honestly, I believe it will be an uphill battle for any nominee. Not only will the Obama campaign (and now the super PAC) spend plenty against whomever the nominee is, they will also have to deal with the "unofficial" Obama campaign aperatus…the media. The only question I have is will enough people be fooled by it again?

6. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2012 2:26 pm

So far Santorum has impressed me the most. Like you I got tired of the gutter sniping by Romney and Gingrich. I was also pleased to see that Santorum did not sink to the Gingrich and Perry level in regards to Romney and Bain Capital. Santorum has been the best so far at articulating why Romney care will hurt Romeny in a general election (probably the best performance by Santorum in a debate so far).

As for the brushing up on foreign policy, what exactly do you mean by that (honest question). If I have missed something he has said or done on the issue please let me know.

7. Granny55 on February 8th, 2012 3:13 pm

Foreign policy is tough when you get into a debate and I would like to see him ready to take aim and fire when the gottcha questions are hurled at him by the liberal moderators. Especially when Obozo will be standing there and hurling the "I got Osama rant" and the liberal moderators are high fiving Obozo on the feat. He needs to be sharp and ready at all times. With all that is going on in Syria, Iran, Somalia, Afghanistan and Isreal, I just hope and pray that he has really smart advisors giving him the facts so he can go out and make his case that he will be a Ronald Regan COC when it comes to dealing with our enemies.

8. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2012 3:31 pm

Got it and agree. He does need to continue to work on debating. He hasn't been horrible, but he only has a few occassions were he really has knocked it out of the park. So far from what I have heard on his positions on foreign policy he sounds like he gets it when it comes to radical islam and what is going on in ME. So it looks like he has some pretty good advisors on that front. Hopefully he can get better at articulating his positions in the debates, because (as you pointed out) he will have two opponents in every debate….Obama and the moderator.

9. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2012 3:35 pm

My favorite soundbyte would have to be the “I don’t stand here to claim to be the conservative alternative to Mitt Romney,” Santorum remarked. Instead, he said he was “the conservative alternative to Barack Obama.”

That line puts the election back into perspective after all the gutter sniping of Romney and Gingrich.

10. backwoodsconsr on February 8th, 2012 3:56 pm

That's the line I'll remember. I think Rick is catching fire at the right time, and Romney is going to get burned.

11. Granny55 on February 8th, 2012 3:57 pm

Heard that quote on the news this morning – and is exactly the point. Newt and Romney have just about knocked one another out and I am sick of both of them. Funny I was surfing channels this morning and one of the dumb clucks on Morning Joe was mocking Santorum and hoping that Mitch Daniels gets into the race to bring back some decorum to the process. Evidently they hadn't seen Moochelle playing tug-o-war in the blue room to prove just what decorum is. A$$wipes.

12. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2012 4:23 pm

I think Rick gets it in the ME and I really like his love it, live it, talk it conservative values. He`s a party guy for sure, but he can articulate conservative values well when given a chance. His triple win last night reinforces the belief that conservatism wins every time it`s tried !

13. SignPainterGuy on February 8th, 2012 4:27 pm

Rick is scaring them now, especially now that he is getting traction !

The Obamas wouldn`t know decorum if they tripped over it ! !

14. Truesoldier__ on February 8th, 2012 4:30 pm

Obama and company would love to run against Romney. Romney would not be able to hit Obama on Obamacare or the latest row over trying to force religious institutions to pony up for birth control (Romney flip flopped on that as governor of MA on that as well). You take those two items off the table and it could really help Obama.