Wait, Gitmo’s still open?

From Fox News:

At a time of record deficits, a new soccer field for detainees at Camp 6 in Guantanamo Bay is just getting the finishing touches — at a cost of $750,000 to taxpayers.

The project was the highlight of a tour Tuesday of the detention camp for reporters at the facility covering the arraignment in a military court of Majid Khan, a former Baltimore resident and the the only legal U.S. resident on trial at Guantanamo.

The project began in April 2011 and is due to finish this spring. The detainees will now have three recreation facilities at Camp 6, which is home to “highly compliant” detainees who live in a communal setting.

If the project takes longer than expected to complete, the detainees can expect a profuse apology from the Obama administration.

Sources tell me that detainees are also being allowed to produce a movie about their love of soccer, entitled “Bend it Like Khalid.”

Comments

12 Responses to “Well It’s About Time: Gitmo Detainees Get New $750,000 Soccer Field”

1. backwoodsconsr on February 29th, 2012 1:47 pm

That's a waste. Ask one of those barbarians if he'd like to play soccer and he's liable to say, "Okay. Which one of my wives do you want me to hit?"

2. The Zoo Keeper on February 29th, 2012 1:56 pm

So I hear Oliver Stone's son has converted to Islam after visiting Iran? Is anyone calling for his death? Just checking.

3. Doug on February 29th, 2012 1:58 pm

I was drinking coffee when I read this and almost ruined my shirt and keyboard.

4. Truesoldier__ on February 29th, 2012 2:12 pm

So we spend $750g on a soccer stadium for detainees at GITMO, but then the administration wants to cut helath benefits for military retirees. Obviously the priorities are reversed with this president.

The GOP candidates are missing a perfect oportunity here. Not only could they point out how this president is willing to coddle our enemy while screwing over our troops, they can also point out to the presidents base that spening $750g on a new soccer stadium is hardly a sign that he plans to close GIMTO.

5. Truesoldier__ on February 29th, 2012 2:16 pm

Looks like you could use one of these Doug:

6. backwoodsconsr on February 29th, 2012 3:28 pm

Apparently my humor could be useful to them in selling those things. I've been accused by several people of endangering their keyboards and monitors. You'd think sooner or later they'd learn not to be eating or drinking anything while reading my posts.

7. Granny55 on February 29th, 2012 3:48 pm

What's next massage parlors to soothe their achy bones after a soccer game? And just how in the hell do you play soccer while wearing a white pajama dress and sandals?

8. SignPainterGuy on February 29th, 2012 9:46 pm

Ha ha, I learned !

I just knew that TS had linked to the new "Tactical Coffee Mug" I saw in the last few days. Can`t remember where I saw it, maybe Hot Air. It has two handles from rifles, one from the AR-15; 3 laser pointers, night vision and more.

I tend to splatter soup on mine !

9. SignPainterGuy on February 29th, 2012 9:50 pm

And the media is all abuzz over Franklin Graham not stating emphatically that Obama IS Christian and NOT muslim ! Fascinating !

10. Click Here on May 19th, 2012 3:03 am

The company behind the recent family hit Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, and Universal are teaming up to bring Clifford the Big Red Dog to the big

11. geometry help proofs on July 25th, 2012 10:13 am

The just how in the hell do you play soccer while wearing a white pajama dress and sandals.

12. kpop online store on December 6th, 2012 5:08 am

good for them atleast now they could have a space for recreation and sports..its quite costly though..