*****

Team Obama has a foolproof plan to make everybody buy battery powered cars: Burn up all the gas themselves so there won’t be any left for the rest of us.

From the Daily Caller by way of Doug Ross:

The U.S. Air Force is pulling nine cargo aircraft from military operations to support President Barack Obama’s stepped-up visits to campaign events.

The five medium-capacity C-130s and four heavyweight C-17s will be used to ferry security vehicles, armored limousines and communications gear into cities ahead of Obama’s campaign appearances.

In the months before November, the president is expected to fly into multiple cities per week, and speak at multiple sites per day. On Mar. 8, for example, the president will fly to Richmond, and then drive over to a Rolls-Royce aircraft-parts factory. That evening, he’ll fly down to Houston, Texas.

His wife, Vice President Joe Biden and many of his cabinet secretaries are using the Air Force’s fleet of VIP aircraft to visit more states as the election season speeds up.

The nine cargo aircraft will begin operations in April, said Maj. Michelle Lai, communications officer for the Air Force’s 89th Airlift Wing. “They’ll stand down in November 2012,” she said.

Hopefully voters will also order Obama to stand down in November

I can’t wait to see how the campaign spins a good portion of these trips into “official” business instead of campaign business so taxpayers will be on the hook for a larger portion of the tab, but either way it’s going to be pricey, both monetarily and environmentally. “Paging Al Gore” — who am I kidding… the Goracle will probably be along for the ride.

Comments

24 Responses to “Air Force Pulls 9 Cargo Planes From Military Operations For Use in Obama’s Re-Election Campaign”

1. backwoodsconsr on March 10th, 2012 2:21 pm

They'll need more cargo space than that to haul all the lies Obama's going to tell.

2. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 2:25 pm

Comparison of C-5 and C-17 Capabilities and Characteristics

Cost per flying hour
    C-5 C-17

53 percent 86 percent
    $23,100 $11,300
    United States Government Accountability Office

Thankfully the C-5 Galaxy has been retired. Otherwise this could get expensive?

3. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 2:30 pm

THE COST OF PRESIDENTIAL AND VICE PRESIDENTIAL POLITICAL TRAVEL

UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT REFORM — MINORITY STAFF
    SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS DIVISION
    MARCH 2006

PREPARED FOR REP. HENRY A. WAXMAN

… This report assumes that flight operating costs are $56,518 per hour for Air Force One . These figures are based on the per-hour cost figures cited by GAO for fiscal year 2000, adjusted for inflation.

According to the Congressional Research Service, the President’s domestic travel also involves the use of accompanying cargo planes.

This report assumes one cargo plane accompanies the President on each trip at an operating cost per hour of $6,960. This figure is based on the per-hour cost cited by GAO for fiscal year 2000 for the C-17 cargo plane, adjusted for inflation…

4. Joe Redfield on March 10th, 2012 2:34 pm

As usual, the concept of 'leadership by example' completely evades the Progressive mind.

5. SignPainterGuy on March 10th, 2012 3:06 pm

Correctomundo ! There seems to be no limits when there seems to be no limit to their access to OPM !

6. Pasadena Phil on March 10th, 2012 4:19 pm

See! There IS a lot of waste in military spending. Obama had probably assumed that Boehner would take over the Pelosi fleet when he took over and was surprised he hadn't. So he took it and being president, figured he was entitled to an even bigger fleet and expanded it to be an entire personal air force.

It would be interesting to know how much of the military budget is wasted on these things. I used to work at Logan Airport and remember when Reagan would fly in. As disrupting as it was for even ONE aircraft and maybe one or two limos to fly in and then disrupt the tunnel traffic, I can't begin to imagine how disruptive it is for an entire air force to invade a city like Boston.

If presidential travel truly is so dangerous as to justify such precautions, maybe he and his entourage should just stay home.

7. clu seatoe on March 10th, 2012 4:27 pm

It’s not that the idea is evasive it’s that liberalism appeals to the basest of human emotions and desires and of those are:

“I just don’t give a damn what you think about what I say or do. It’s not going to change the way I feed my lusts because I see no down side, no consequences in America’s current society.”

8. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 4:52 pm

Without getting too specific, I'm sitting just a few hundred yards from where these giants take off. Let me assure if you've never seen one up close ( let alone a fleet of them ) they are mammoth!

The disparity in Per Hour Op. Cost simply must reflect Peak Oil. The first link being more current than the '06 Waxman memo. If Andrew's death is to mean anything, we HAVE to put a stop to this! It's almost as if he called SecAF and said "How many planes can you spare from forward operations? I'll TAKE 'em!"

These were designed for National Defense, not personal amusement, elitist convenience and to make a 'splash'/statement. Mr. pResident, if you have a shred of decency, End.This.NOW.

9. Pasadena Phil on March 10th, 2012 5:01 pm

So Obama is already practicing being America's first "Generalissimo". He's well on his way to achieving the banana republic where generalissimls are normally found. All he needs is a next military officer's uniform with phony fruit salad. I am sure he will require a new protocol requiring anyone who approaches him to kiss his armpit (a la his namesake Saddam Hussein) and force the adoption of goose-stepping by our armed forces.

10. SignPainterGuy on March 10th, 2012 5:09 pm

I would almost bet, IF we could take a sneak look into the First Closet, we`d find just that sorta uniform hanging there. Maybe we could get Geraldo Revolver on that ! You know it would be a lot less dank and dusty than that cellar-vault opening he tried last time !

11. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 5:12 pm

Phil,

Every WEEK I sit in on the various, Safety, Career & Budget briefings and I see young airman just -beginning- their career being told they'd best not lose the pen they were issued in boot camp b/c they might not get another..?

Belt tightening across the board and my Base group commander was "let go" at 18 years of dedicated service. She was an over-achiever ( and Morton MBA ) if ever I've seen one!

So we're letting perfectly QUALIFIED people go so Clownissimo can do His thang? I'm on the inside and frankly closer than I'd care to be. All I can do on this one is "paint the targets".

12. patti on March 10th, 2012 5:12 pm
  13. Pasadena Phil on March 10th, 2012 5:18 pm

One of my close friends is a Marine Colonel and was just deployed to Afghanistan recently. I am sure when he gets back, he'll have stories that will make his jaw-dropping Iraq corruption stories sound like the life of Pollyanna.

14. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 5:45 pm

That's just it. There simply isn't enough efficiency to be garnered by stepping on the Personnel side and AMPLE improvements to be made on the procurement/contracting/nation-building side.

Ok, now instead of getting (3) sets of ABU's issued, we'll only give them (2) Problem solved! Riiiight. There's a 1-800 'hotline' to call if service members spot "Fraud, Waste & Abuse". Wonder how far commandeering an entire WING would go..?

15. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 5:55 pm

Patti,

If you look closely the young blond gal is flipping Andrew off -while- 'posing' for a picture with him. So typical of the ever-civil Left isn't it?

16. patti on March 10th, 2012 6:23 pm

Yes, I saw that. Ya know, I suppose, she wanted a pic with Andrew but had to keep her kewl on (losers all!)
    God bless AB, I wouldn't have the patience to suffer the fools like he did…..think I might have found a way to stick my foot out, so she would accidentally take a fall and break her finger! lol

17. Marshall_Will on March 10th, 2012 6:38 pm

After all, kewl is what The Left is all about right?

Loved the way AB showcased the strategic role of pol. correctness in silencing all opposing views. A few personal observations:

So many of us have either LOST or seriously scaled back our businesses we're in Rodney Dangerfield's domain. "Let me tell ya', my career was so bad ( how bad WAS it Rodney!? ) when I quit the business, I was the only person who knew!"

So what do WE have to worry about being called raaacist, or anything less than perfectly PC 24/7/365? Yeah right. Additionally, now that the millions that were laid off have re-configured their lives, a new brand of candor is emerging.

The Pink Slip crowd in many cases in no longer COLLECTING! So they have no fear of it getting back to… The State. They're openly admitting the TOOK the full 99 Weeks sitting this thing out. Or basically confessing as to WHY the voted for Dick O'Drama in the first place. Unless they can finagle 'another' 99 Weeks out of the deal, they won't be voting BHO again.

18. patti on March 10th, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes sir, I hear you, Marshall_Will , I hear you!

19. ChapBix on March 10th, 2012 7:56 pm

That's because they lead from behind.

20. ChapBix on March 10th, 2012 8:00 pm

Teleconferencing would be a whole lot less expensive and less disruptive for the locals.

21. Take2 on March 11th, 2012 1:58 am

America has excelled in one endeavor, looting our childrens future.
    For those who support President Obama, where is the outrage!
    Despot-in-Chief reveals himself more everyday. He cares only for power and himself keeping it.

22. Dexter_Alarius on March 12th, 2012 11:19 am

I can't see how this would be legal. CinC or not, he can't use the military as campaign resources. I'm writing my Congress critters about this.

23. SignPainterGuy on March 12th, 2012 7:29 pm

Good luck !

24. Greta Abernathy on October 16th, 2012 3:30 am

I think it's not right for the President to use those state-owned shipping cargo planes for his own campaign schedules. He should be using only his own resources because it's misuse of company property.