Coming from an administration with an economic policy of “spend money to keep from going bankrupt,” this pledge can only mean that gas prices are about to get even higher:

Obama used his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday to underscore his administration’s work to develop alternative energy sources and increase fuel efficiency.

“I’m going to keep doing everything I can to help you save money on gas, both right now and in the future,” Obama said. “I hope politicians from both sides of the aisle join me.”

Obama is on record as saying that high gas prices aren’t a bad thing because they’ll force everybody into wildly expensive “green” vehicles, and he tolerates an energy secretary who is on record as saying that gas prices in America should be as high as they are in Europe, so why should we doubt him?

The fuel economy of cars has been on a steady rise in America since long before Obama took office to save America from itself. But if high gas prices is the goal to “force” the market into more fuel efficient cars, how does going from a car that gets 20 mpg when gas is $2.50 a gallon to a car that gets 40 mpg when gas is $5 a gallon help matters? Especially when the latter car will cost 50% more than the former because the government is now involved in making them cheaper — but eventually they’ll be retrofitted to run on algae, so we’ve got that to look forward to.

Comments

15 Responses to “Obama Pledges to Do Everything He Can to Save You Money on Gas”

1. Pasadena Phil on March 11th, 2012 3:20 pm

I suspect his logic involves raising the price of gas so high that none of us can afford it so we dump our cars. Ka-ching! We are saving money on gas thanks to Obama!

2. Marshall_Will on March 11th, 2012 3:53 pm

"how does going from a car that gets 20 mpg when gas is $2.50 a gallon to a car that gets 40 mpg when gas is $5 a gallon help matters?"

Good question, especially when it will now take -twice- as many trips in your whistling sh!tcan econobox. O'Drama is on autopilot. His handlers are fresh out of spin and given no Prog has ever gotten this far before, He has no one to turn to for counsel, guidance.

For every brick wall stammer, another penny at the pump.

3. SignPainterGuy on March 11th, 2012 4:19 pm

The problem I`m facing is, when I replace my current 20 mpg pickup, it will cost nearly twice the purchase price, it will get 2 more mpg and gas will cost 2 1/2+ times what it did when I bought this one. I`m just not interested in driving a roller skate to get better gas mileage when I can`t help but fear being on the losing end in a crash !!

4. Granny55 on March 11th, 2012 4:50 pm

Well I would imagine if you are a union worker Ozero will be issuing waivers to his favorite goonions for tax free gas and then I am sure some "Fluker" will go up before congress and beg for taxpayers to fill up the gas tanks of spoiled Ivy Leaguers who just can't afford gas for their Beemers. And wallah – making gas more affordable for those "less fortunate" will appear and Ozero the Savior comes thru again.

5. ChapBix on March 11th, 2012 4:53 pm

I am not going to buy a $40,000 automobile at this stage of my life. Thanks to the Cash for Clunkers, program, many of the vehicles I could have afforded are now off the road. What is left of the used vehicle market is more expensive due to supply and demand factors. Bottom line, I am driving the last vehicle I may ever own.

6. Marshall_Will on March 11th, 2012 5:13 pm

*Not Tax Advice…!*

Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Code allows for accelerated depreciation of vehicles used in a business. Along w/ software and I think there's some Porkulus allowances this year as well.

Be warned, I believe the sunset for 179 is the end of this calendar year, so if you're going to trade up, this would be the time.

*Not Tax Advice*

7. Marshall_Will on March 11th, 2012 5:17 pm

I could maybe swing a FOUR thousand dollar vehicle..? But that's about it. Given all the uncertainty in the Ozero Economy most of us simply aren't willing to go out any further on a limb.

He's DOA and he KNOWS it for this very reason. While we're AT it, this would be a good time to let connected MegaCorp's just who's the boss?

8. SignPainterGuy on March 11th, 2012 5:46 pm

Being 14 years old w/ 179K miles, it`s pretty much depreciated out; unless I`m mistaken……. But I appreciate the link; I`ll save it for future ref.

"*Not Tax Advice*"; is that a bit like, "Hey Buddy, you didn`t hear this from me, but …." ?

9. SignPainterGuy on March 11th, 2012 5:50 pm

I`ve spent a small fortune keeping my p/u up to snuff so it`s now worth about a fourth of what I paid for it; just north of $5,000. now !

10. The Watcher on March 11th, 2012 7:37 pm

It's the Schwinn Stimulus!!!!

11. Marshall_Will on March 11th, 2012 8:11 pm

Oh..! I meant on a NEW purchase. And if read carefully it needn't be an SUV or pickup, virtually any vehicle will do. Even a used vehicle, long as it's new to 'you'. Call your local Fleet Sales mgr. at the dealership. Those guys know all the ins & outs.

Typically for people like Phil and I ( with no cost of inventory/COGS etc. ) it's one of the few options we'd have to reduce Adj. Gross Income. Some accountants will claim that it's not worth it b/c there's a recapture clause on the backside ( say if you traded it in within a short period of years )

But if the LAST rig had ran for (2) decades..?

12. Marshall_Will on March 11th, 2012 8:13 pm

Lol, God love you Sir!

And it goes hand-in-glove w/ Meanchelle's Let's Move boondoggle!

13. SignPainterGuy on March 11th, 2012 8:54 pm

My younger Nephew is huge into bicycles; has an unknown brand to me, but talk about neat features now days. The kickstand splits in two, making a center-stand that holds the rear wheel off the ground and the bike straight up-vertical. The brake levers double as paddle shifters; move one sideways, it shifts gears. Lights, bags and a combo cargo and child-seat rack. Oh, and a trailer hitch for his two-kid enclosed trailer (they live in WI.)

One wheel and tire cost now what my entire 10 speed racer cost in `69 !

14. Truesoldier__ on March 12th, 2012 11:07 am

Once again Obama fails economics 101. You cant help people by developing alternative energy sources and increasing fuel efficiency when the majority of people cannot afford to buy a new car that runs on alteranative fuel or is more fuel efficient (especially when most people already own cars that get better mpg than our parents cars did).

15. Dexter_Alarius on March 12th, 2012 11:14 am

Exactly!

He never says he's going to lower the price. In his mind, making people use less gas is "saving money on gas". Eat your peas– and drive your Volt.