Yesterday I noticed a couple of stories about one of the Obama daughters going to Mexico on a school trip, purportedly with 25 Secret Service agents in tow. Later when I went back, those stories were gone and the link re-directed either to the main page or a different story (click here and then click on the AFP story entitled “Obama’s daughter spends springbreak in Mexico” to see for yourself).

I assumed maybe they were pulled because the story just wasn’t true. Turns out there was more to it:

The AFP, the Huffington Post and other websites have scrubbed a report about first daughter Malia Obama’s school trip.

On Monday, the AFP reported that Obama’s daughter was on a school trip along with a number of friends and 25 Secret Service agents. The story was picked up by Yahoo, the Huffington Post, and the International Business Times, as well as UK publications like the Daily Mail and the Telegraph and other overseas publications like The Australian.

But on Monday night, the story had been removed from those sites .The AFP page for the story now links to a story titled “Senegal music star Youssou Ndour hits campaign trail,” as does the Yahoo page. The Huffington Post page now links directly back to the Huffington Post homepage. The Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Australian stories now lead to 404 error pages, reading “page not found.” The International Business Times story also links to the IBT homepage, though a version of the original story still exists online.
[...]
Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, emails to confirm this was a White House effort:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.

While I agree that any president’s kids should be off limits whenever possible for a lot of different reasons (although the Obama campaign seems to want it both ways), the speed at which the White House was able to get so many separate outlets to roll over and simultaneously obey their demand was unsurprising, and yet still a little disturbing.

Besides, the media in Mexico had already reported the story inside that country — you know, the one for which the US State Department has issued travel warnings up the ying-yang. You’d think that the least of the White House’s concern would be that HuffPo and AFP were carrying the story, but that the media in Mexico had already let the cat out of the bag.

By the way, there was just an earthquake down that way.

Comments

16 Responses to “Lest We Think Team Obama Doesn’t Still Have an Obedience Collar on the Media”

1. patti on March 20th, 2012 5:57 pm

I heard the breaking report on Fox about the quake….still have not heard anything about Malia being there….some genius finally figured out this is a very bad optic for president downgrade.

2. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2012 6:07 pm

Here's what passes for a 'comment' over at Politico:

Mary Virginia Hughes · Top Commenter
    Hahahahha, you aren't really that dumb. Nobody is really that dumb. Supposedly the president of the US is the most powerful man in the world, man so far, maybe in 2016 it will be a woman, but you didn't know that? Of course he has super power because of his office and believe me, he doesn't know you exist so you're safe in your bigoted little box.

3. clu seatoe on March 20th, 2012 6:09 pm

“…no vital news interest.”

I saw the story on several different sites but I didn’t follow the links because to me it was of no vital news interest. But that was my decision, not Zero’s. Even though I suppose all presidents have been afforded the same courtesy I still find it irritating that the scrubbing comes so easily to the media. Apparently even to FOX.

What is of news interest is the fact that the kids get their own private army to accompany them, I’m sure at no extra cost to the families of the other attending kids which probably would not have been allowed by their parents to go without them, nice.

What is also of news interest is the very FACT that a private army in even needed in Mex. and what also seems to be scrubbed is the news about mexico’s drug wars and their lack of any ability to do anything about it.

4. Doug on March 20th, 2012 6:10 pm

Well, there's ONE vote for Obama in November.

5. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2012 6:13 pm

The first link simply takes 'me' to a Google homepage. Here's O'Drama already trying to navigate a controlled crash in his post-pResidential career. He'll have explanations, incredibly simplistic ones, that justify his every action while in office.

Insofar as 'asking' steaming pile media for full fledged retractions/redactions? They have Administrator Access!

6. clu seatoe on March 20th, 2012 6:13 pm

…lack of any ability OR DESIRE to do anything about it. Since mexico has always been a typically corrupt banana republic.

7. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2012 6:43 pm

"But that was my decision, not Zero’s"

Right. I need to get the knock sensor on the Jag replaced and had to do a little online research. Otherwise I'd have been all over it! What's realy amazing is O'Drama is the most over-hyped, over-EXPOSED individual in the history of individuals.

We're so de-sensitized to media coverage about He, His family, His dog Bo and Our Fair Share ( what's one more? )

8. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2012 6:47 pm

Coming from a "Top Commenter" no less! Loved MM's hatemail of the day wishing "As an Asian, she be placed in a "determent camp"! Lol, ignorant of English AND History?!

( It 'was' the Filipinos that bombed Pearl Harbor right? )

9. backwoodsconsr on March 20th, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm currently reading MM's book "In Defense of Internment". It contains a lot information that liberals don't want people to know. Liberals would rather open their mouths and spew hatred than open their minds and learn something.

10. Marshall_Will on March 20th, 2012 7:18 pm

I've personally visited what remains of the old camp at Tule Lake, CA. It's just a few miles from our guard base and is a great historic day trip.

What's really interesting is, after the War, many of the Japanese stayed behind and made their lives there. A mixture of native Americans, Hispanics AND Japanese, they really are their own little ethnic group!

Sadly many don't know how they came to be there. Probably should read the book too.

11. Truesoldier__ on March 20th, 2012 9:15 pm

Don't you love how the administration decides what is of a news interest.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think it is a news story when you have the President's 13 year old daughter taking a spring break trip to a county that the State Department has issues a travel warning to. Hell, I am a DoD civilian employee and if I were to travel to Mexico I could get fired as we have been told that Government employees are not authorized to travel to areas of Mexico that have been deemed as unsafe by the Dept of State.

12. SignPainterGuy on March 20th, 2012 9:51 pm

My local n/p w/s uses facebook commenting format; it awards "Top Commenter" status after the voluminous count of somewhere around "10 comments" ……. believe it or not ! Pretty much in the same league with T-Ball trophies !

Yeah, I got it myself ! Whoopee !

13. backwoodsconsr on March 20th, 2012 10:07 pm

Your jabber fingers probably got it in five minutes.

14. SignPainterGuy on March 20th, 2012 10:41 pm

Don`t know for certain, I couldn`t see a clock for all the smoke ! ;-)

15. backwoodsconsr on March 20th, 2012 10:55 pm

LOL!

16. Marshall_Will on March 21st, 2012 2:01 am

Oh, well that's interesting! Hadn't thought about it from that perspective. As in, we're not payin' your widow out on that life ins. claim cuzz'… yer' an idiot!

And think about it, why should they? Every MX snowbird I know w/ a beach condo tells me; "It's not like that by 'us'. We haven't had any problems" until they don't. Wanna' buy a condo?