I’m not super thrilled, but we can now say that Mitt Romney is going to be the Republican nominee:

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has suspended his campaign.

Senator Santorum appeared at a hotel room in Gettysburg at 2 p.m. where he announced he was suspending his campaign.

“We were very concerned about our roles as being the very best parents has we can be to our children,” Santorum said. “We made a decision over the weekend while this presidential race is over to for me and will suspend our campaign effective today – we are not done fighting.”

The rise of Santorum through the early and mid primary process was amazing, and I’d never have predicted it. However, the Mitt machine ended up being too much to overcome.

Okay Romney… the race is yours to lose. Obama’s highly beatable this year… don’t screw it up.

Here’s video of Santorum’s announcement:

*****

Update: Gingrich pledges to stay in through the convention:

“Rick has waged a remarkable campaign. His success is a testament to his tenacity and the power of conservative principles.

“I am committed to staying in this race all the way to Tampa so that the conservative movement has a real choice. I humbly ask Senator Santorum’s supporters to visit Newt.org to review my conservative record and join us as we bring these values to Tampa. We know well that only a conservative can protect life, defend the Constitution, restore jobs and growth and return to a balanced budget.”

And then there were two.

Oh wait, I almost forgot that Ron Paul is still technically in the race also. Isn’t he?

The remaining primary schedule is here. The delegate count is here. Romney’s over halfway home and Newt’s barely out of the starting gate, delegate-wise.

Update II: Newt might be staying in the race, but there’s a chance he won’t be on the ballot in Utah. Why? His check bounced. It’s official: Gingrich is ready to re-enter government.

Comments

16 Responses to “Santorum’s Out; Update: Newt Not Going Anywhere”

1. clu seatoe on April 10th, 2012 6:52 pm

AMEN!

And even though Gingrich is still buzzing in your ears we shouldn’t hear another word about him from you. Don’t get distracted, Zero is the target, Zero is the target. It’s yours to lose, yours to lose.

2. SignPainterGuy on April 10th, 2012 8:45 pm

Dangit, I`m losing my favorites right n left ! Rick said that he wants to be the best parent he can be, so I can certainly respect his decision to drop out. His kids want and need him more than our country does. I believe he made the right decision !

Rick was the most Conservative candidate we had and I was proud that he was unashamed of his Christianity, he didn`t try to hide it. We`ve missed that since Reagan.

OK, Newt, you have very little chance of getting enough delegates to win the nomination, but I see you as more Conservative than Romney. I hope you will over the next few weeks demonstrate that your economic policies will turn this country around quicker and faster that Mitt`s, that you will see to it that ObamaScare is totally repealed, yanked out by the roots and not just modified or replaced like I`m afraid Mitt will.

If Newt is still in it on May 8th, then I will cast my Primary vote for him, I trust him a little more to do what he promises than Mitt, but come Nov. 6th, I`ll be a nose-holder and vote for our Republican nominee ! If it`s Mitt, then I sincerely hope he hasn`t picked Chris Christie as his Veep; he`s way to weak-kneed against the islamification of America ! Pffft, they both are !

3. backwoodsconsr on April 10th, 2012 8:47 pm

Newt's not going anywhere in more ways than one. He can stay in, but I don't think he'll accomplish much.

4. SignPainterGuy on April 10th, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Update II; Well, they do say Newt is a big government guy !

"His check bounced"; oh boy, this does not bode well !

5. Marshall_Will on April 10th, 2012 11:41 pm

Clu,

Bammie is 'beatable' every day of the week and twice on Sunday. In reading Michelle's heartfelt notes on Rick's campaign, there's no WAY any of us should feel badly. Least of all Rick.

And I think that's been Phil's point all along, why settle? Whether it's a jealous co-worker, cheesy employer, vindictive former spouse or incumbent politician, "dirty tricks" typically only work once and CEASE to be tricky once we've seen them in full light of day.

Team Obama now resembles a tone deaf garage band torturing the same wrong chord verse after verse, unable to get right but somehow hoping playing it 'louder' will rectify the situation?

6. Truesoldier__ on April 11th, 2012 12:18 am

Talk about handing your opponents ammo. If I were Romney or Obama I would be making a commercial out of it right now.

How can you trust Newt to balance the budget when he can't even balance his own check book?

7. Bry on April 11th, 2012 2:05 am

Since Santorum is part of the machine he will no doubt get behind Romney, because they are basically carbon copies of each other. Let the clones stand together! Obama will anyone on this list easily in November except Ron Paul according to many polls.

8. Bry on April 11th, 2012 2:06 am

obviously that was meant to say "Obama will defeat anyone on this list"

9. Guest on April 11th, 2012 2:15 am

Dope Smokers of America poll ?

Let me guess, Ron will come out and spit oatmeal on Obama from his geriatric walker.

10. Obama_Blows on April 11th, 2012 2:16 am

I don't get it. Mittens all but wins the nomination already, but I personally know of nobody who actually likes Mittens. How does this happen?

11. Marshall_Will on April 11th, 2012 2:40 am

Right, the D-SoAP #'s are out..!

OBAMA doesnt even want Obama to win! He's just going thru the motions, putting on His best faux game face. Grimacing his way toward burned bridges and fund raising relationships that wont support a book signing.

See, the only kind of $'s P'BO has any respect for are donor $'s. Everything else is just a big fat taxpayer ( read sucker ) write off. His "Billion Dollar Campaign!" won't mean much in defeat. NO comeback is possible after a LOSING run w/ more buckeroos than ever raised.

He'll burn bridges for future pols and even Sasha & Malia. Maybe they can swoop a lower cabinet position under the radar in Brunei?

12. Granny55 on April 11th, 2012 10:47 am

But he still has his half million credit line at Tiffany's.

13. Granny55 on April 11th, 2012 10:48 am

Same way we ended up with McLame – the media shoved him down our throats.

14. SignPainterGuy on April 11th, 2012 2:54 pm

The Establishment Republican Party Leadership wants Mitt, so they pour money on him ! North Dakota gave all or most of the delegates to Romney even though Rick won the state. Or was that Iowa ? Anyway, Real conservatives have to fight against the other candidates, the left-tied media AND their own party leadership !

15. SignPainterGuy on April 11th, 2012 2:55 pm

So he and Callista will "sparkle" through it all !

16. Gingrich's Check Bounces - Christian Forums on April 11th, 2012 5:47 pm

[...] at Doug Power's comment. "Santorum’s Out; Update: Newt Not Going Anywhere" Santorum’s Out; Update: Newt Not Going Anywhere : The Powers That Be excerpt: Update II: Newt might be staying in the race, but there’s a chance he [...]