President Obama and his wife, Michele, gave a total of $48,000 in tax-free gifts to their daughters, according to tax records made public on Friday.

The president and his wife separately gave each daughter a $12,000 gift under a section of the federal tax code that exempts such donations from federal taxes.

There is nothing illegal about the president’s taking advantage of this tax shelter, but it does raise eyebrows given that he has lamented the myriad tax exemptions used by the wealthy—“millionaires and billionaires” like himself—to pay less in taxes.

Meanwhile, Joe Biden led by example on charitable contributions. By the way, the Secret Service paid the Bidens about $21,000 last year.

Comments

15 Responses to “Obama Takes Advantage of Tax Shelters, Then Returns to Criticizing Tax Exemptions Used By Wealthy”

1. clu seatoe on April 14th, 2012 2:50 pm

If Zero would have done the same back in the beginning of his reign and made it a gift of $1M per citizen from the fed I betting it would have stimulated the economy the way the latest Playboy magazine does the boys in the sixth grade class, and saved multiple billions in debt.

Now, aren’t the daughters required to show the gifts as income and pay the gift tax? I can’t even play a game of Monopoly without getting stuck with THAT tax. If I tried that end run the IRS would surly insist I was paying out my estate inheritance prior to my death and external to my will and penalize me big time.

2. @jeffythequick on April 14th, 2012 4:50 pm

He works hard for the money,
    So hard for it honey,
    He works hard for the money,
    So we better treat him right…

As Doug mentioned in another post, he is so busy laser pointed, err… focused on the umm… err.. economy that he umm errr uhhh needs all of those tax breaks, especially with ummm… err.. uhh.. Michelle not having a real job, since she uhhh… ummm… is a stay at home ummm mom.

Glenn Beck had an excellent analysis of his speech pattern this week, and when he stutters, he doesn't believe what he's saying.

3. Obama REALLY hates those darned tax shelters he makes full use of! « The Daley Gator on April 14th, 2012 5:13 pm

[...] Powers delivers the shocking news that there is some Obampocrisy going on here! I’m guessing Obama doesn’t care about the messaging contradiction presented by this: President [...]

4. SignPainterGuy on April 14th, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah, how could anyone expect Meanchelle to stay at home when their combined income was only a bit north of $400,000 ? Sheeesh !

When Teh One stutters, he is making something up, working on the biggest possible BS. Obviously it isn`t a moment of his conscience bothering him !

5. Obama_Blows on April 14th, 2012 6:33 pm

It's amazing what The One can get away with since there's no check or balance on him, including the media. Never thought we'd see the day when the media just rolled over and stayed silent. None of this would be possible without them being complicite, and to me that's one of the most dangerous things going on lately (of many). Incredible.

6. Granny55 on April 14th, 2012 6:40 pm

You got that right about the media. But I am seeing cracks here and there where the media is getting brave and letting some "facts" out.

7. SignPainterGuy on April 14th, 2012 11:53 pm

Rush refers to that as, "Random acts of journalism".

I can`t figure out if the media is doing this to maintain some credibility, (cough, cough), or if they realize they`ve lost it and are trying to regain some. Way too late in my book !

8. backwoodsconsr on April 15th, 2012 11:43 am

That's one hell of an allowance. That's more than I've made working most years of my life.

9. jeffythequick on April 15th, 2012 2:47 pm

I am proposing the Jeffythequick* rule:

At the bottom of each 1040 form (A, EZ, whatever) the following lines be put in:

Total Tax Due (or refund): ______________
    Extra Tax you want to pay**: ______________
    Total Tax Due: ______________

* The Jeffythequick rule can be called anything, I don't really care. Call it the Buffet STFU rule, or the Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is rule, just do it.

** Adding any money here doesn't get you any special treatment, it just shows your stunning intelligence (or lack thereof) that you'll actually reward people for moving plants along the freeway, taking trips to Vegas or Hawaii on the taxpayer's dime, or whatever.

10. SignPainterGuy on April 15th, 2012 4:45 pm

I had proposed the 1040 Double-Extra EZ tax form which had only two lines;
    How much did you make, and
    Send it on in !
    However, your PYMWYMI line is an excellent idea for those haters of the rich / class warfare warriors !

11. ChapBix on April 15th, 2012 5:30 pm

It will a year of Sundays, and then some, to begin regaining credibility.

12. ChapBix on April 15th, 2012 5:32 pm

Missed the verb in my comment. That is what I get for trying to type that with a chocolate chip cookie in one hand.

13. ChapBix on April 15th, 2012 5:35 pm

"Do as I say, not as I do." BHO

Whatever happened to leading by example? Oh yeah, right. You are leading by example, just in the wrong way.

14. SignPainterGuy on April 15th, 2012 7:05 pm

Oh yeah, the "chocolate chip cookie in the other hand" defense / excuse ! OK, so much better than the tired ol` "It`s Bush`s fault" ! Was it "take" or "require" ?

Only more question: milk or coffee ?

15. Rich swine who never worked a useful job in his life takes advantage of tax loopholes » Cold Fury on April 15th, 2012 7:13 pm

[...] (Via Doug Powers) [...]