The dependency class is expanding faster than Michael Moore’s waistline at “all the buffalo wings you can eat” night at T.G.I. Fridays — in other words, “Mission Accomplished”:

The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday that 45 million people in 2011 received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, a 70% increase from 2007. It said the number of people receiving the benefits, commonly known as food stamps, would continue growing until 2014.

Spending for the program, not including administrative costs, rose to $72 billion in 2011, up from $30 billion four years earlier. The CBO projected that one in seven U.S. residents received food stamps last year.

In a report, the CBO said roughly two-thirds of jump in spending was tied to an increase in the number of people participating in the program, which provides access to food for the poor, elderly, and disabled. It said another 20% “of the growth in spending can be attributed to temporarily higher benefit amounts enacted in the” 2009 stimulus law.

The outlook:

CBO said the number of people receiving benefits is expected to fall after 2014 because the economy will be improving.

Oddly enough that slight recovery will follow a 2012 election when voters have decided they’ve had enough Hope & Change™. What a coincidence.

The problem with liberals is they view exploding welfare rolls as evidence of compassion, so if food stamp use does start to decline in a couple of years, Dems will use that fact to hammer the GOP for hating the poor.

Comments

13 Responses to “Hope & Change™: Food Stamp Rolls Increased 70% in 4 Years”

1. Joe Redfield on April 20th, 2012 1:51 pm

The BO campaign machine will list this as an achievement.

2. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 2:34 pm

Alynski and Cloward & Piven are so proud !

3. Truesoldier__ on April 20th, 2012 2:58 pm

Pelosi must be esatatic with all these food stamps stimulating the economy!

4. backwoodsconsr on April 20th, 2012 3:18 pm

Obama has definitely left his stamp on this country.

5. clu seatoe on April 20th, 2012 4:01 pm

Michelle Obama: “For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I’m Really Proud of My Country”

6. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 4:55 pm

Why can't/shouldn't I feed the bears at Yellowstone?
    Because they lose their natural ability to hunt and gather food, and they come to expect it from humans, whether the humans can give or not. If they don't get any from the humans, they can starve, or attack them.

Why do I have to feed the non-workers?
    Now, I wish that Chapoteur/Ota Benga/Kentroyal5 were here.

7. Pasadena Phil on April 20th, 2012 9:39 pm

I wonder if this had anything to do with it:

They are produced in Spanish too. Those illegals are quick to adapt to the American give-away culture.

8. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 11:32 pm

Doug,

Here's some serendipity for you…

9. Marshall_Will on April 21st, 2012 3:00 pm

"Update: Also, the number of Americans on disability continues to skyrocket. Crippled by The One’s awesomeness no doubt."

Good friend that was my old Disbursing Officer while in the Navy pointed out that SSI is quickly becoming "The New Welfare". Let's be honest, we've all had friends or FOF that have applied.

Many will be turned down ( particularly if they're white males ) but many WILL be able to fit themselves to the mold. How hard is it to find a 'doctor' that will find something "incurable" and debilitating about you?

Hell, they were passing out Sick Excuses in Madison, WI like exctasy at a rave party? Financial Planners have been on a soapbox over this for years. Clients that have GENUINE health issues have to file & wait for ever and a day behind the legions of hat-in-the-ring filers. The New Welfare indeed…

10. jeffythequick on April 22nd, 2012 1:49 am

Looks like the ad people liked your headline, and put the "Hey, they must be wanting people on food stamps!" ad banners in.

Each time I come back here, they're there.

11. ChapBix on April 23rd, 2012 9:58 am

"It said the number of people receiving the benefits, commonly known as food stamps, would continue growing until 2014."

More like indefinitely.

12. healthy eating on May 5th, 2012 4:42 am

It seemed to me like people will recieve food stamps instead of money. That reminds me the USSR a little bit.

13. custom-writing on January 9th, 2015 1:12 pm

I am permanently exploring online for articles that can benefit me, and I am seriously benefited by this article! Best regards and gratefulness for the article writer.