NASCAR drivers, not unlike MSNBC hosts, get moving that fast by leaning forward:

NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France was a guest on MSNBC on Thursday to talk about the sport’s green initiatives in advance of Earth Day.

France was asked several questions about NASCAR’s environmental push by anchor Thomas Roberts, who apparently thinks race cars are actually fighter jets.

“The obvious draw for NASCAR is the speed,” Roberts said to France. “Cars going up to about 500 mph, right?”

And these are the people who are going to spend the next 200 days calling Romney out of touch?

France didn’t respond to the 500 mph claim, but I would have replied, “Yes, Thomas, and by going 500 miles per hour we get the race over a lot faster, thus sparing the environment unnecessary pollution. We’re Al Gore approved!”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

49 Responses to “MSNBC Genius of the Day: NASCAR Racers Go 500 Miles Per Hour”

1. backwoodsconsr on April 20th, 2012 11:15 am

Well, I don't think anybody has ever accused liberals of being good at math.

2. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 12:42 pm

au contraire…

They're great at multiplying sorrow, dividing people, adding to deficits, and subtracting values.

3. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 1:13 pm

Other than the incredible speed, the 2 1/2 miles per lap and Daytona`s relative proximity to Cape Canaveral, it musta been globull warming that caused it to take 3 days to get the Daytona 500 in this year !

4. Truesoldier__ on April 20th, 2012 1:27 pm

So MSNBC uses Obama math, no surprise there.

5. Joe Redfield on April 20th, 2012 1:49 pm

Why would anyone at NASCAR even pretend to give a rat's ass about Earth Day?

6. backwoodsconsr on April 20th, 2012 2:36 pm

Because NASCAR is getting sponsorship money from ethanol. They've sold out to the envirowackos.

7. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 2:42 pm

Thankfully, it is mostly "pretense", but not entirely ! Some races have been shortened to save fuel and the fuel itself has been reformulated to reflect the green nonsense, this is the first year for Electronic Fuel Injection (replaced carburators – saves fuel) and of course, all but two race tracks in the Cup Series have all "left turns" !

8. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 4:43 pm

I'd want the speed/fuel ratio increased dramatically if I were an owner of the cars.

Less fuel consumed = less fuel pit stops.

9. Joe Redfield on April 20th, 2012 5:08 pm

Next up, they could add carpool lanes to the tracks.

10. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 5:51 pm

My last comment had me wondering, how much time would be saved…

It looks like 15 seconds, and at 500 mph, that's 2.08 miles!

But looking at wikipedia, the reason for pit stopping is partially fuel and partially tire wear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_stop

11. backwoodsconsr on April 20th, 2012 7:37 pm

If you had to look at Wikipedia to learn that, then you need to spend a lot more time watching races.

12. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 8:58 pm

And listening to the garage shows !

13. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 9:06 pm

That is a really complicated issue. Daytona is a "Restrictor plate" track; IOW, the air intake into the engines is severely limited, in effect, cutting the horsepressure from about 850 down to around 450 so that top speeds are lowered, for safety sake. Top speeds are not 500 mph, but a much more measly 198……ish !

If I`m not mistaken, teams are allowed a set amount of fuel and number of tires for the race, so fuel and tire management becomes an issue. It`s quite a balancing act.

14. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 9:12 pm

The 500 mph statement reminds me of Nan Pilousy claiming that 500 million American citizens were losing their jobs every month under the Bush admin. ! And she repeated it after being corrected. That would mean every American (on average) was being hired and fired / laid off nearly 1 1/2 times every month. Wow !

15. BackwardsBoy on April 20th, 2012 9:26 pm

Dude, the laws of physics demand an air/fuel ratio of around 14.5:1. Get too far away from that figure, the engine won't run. They're already getting as much mileage as they can for a race car.

The whole idea of a racing engine is to get as much fuel in each cylinder as possible to produce the maximum amount of power.

16. backwoodsconsr on April 20th, 2012 9:34 pm

There are restrictions on number of tires in the Trucks and Nationwide series, but not in Cup. I'm not aware of any fuel restrictions in any of them, except for the size of the fuel cell.

17. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 9:51 pm

Thus the effectiveness of restricter plates !

18. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks, I wasn`t sure, they talk about so much in the way of possible regs. changes.

I also watch Formula 1 where they no longer fuel during the race and are required to use 2 tire traction compounds during dry races.

Is ethanol blended fuel in fact being used in Cup cars now ?

19. backwoodsconsr on April 20th, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm not sure.

One of my favorite quotes is from Smokey Yunick, who built race cars for Cup and Indy cars back in the '50s and '60s. He said when NASCAR first came out with the rule book he wondered what he was supposed to do with it. Then he figured that instead of looking at what the rule book said, he should look at what it didn't say. "The rule book said the fuel cell could hold 22 gallons, no more. That was the fuel cell. It didn't say anything about the fuel line. Mine held 6 gallons."

20. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 11:24 pm

…and less time building airplanes?

21. jeffythequick on April 20th, 2012 11:27 pm

Liberalism…

..brought to you today by the number, 500.

22. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 11:44 pm

Given the choice between building airplanes and watching / participating in NASCAR racing, given that I have spent 13 years traveling / most of my life working in the racing industry, I`d go for building airplanes. It`s time for an interesting change !

23. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2012 11:52 pm

And the letter S …. for STOOPID !

24. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 12:04 am

I remember that. Fuel storage "devices" found themselves in frame cavities, under the dash, inside roll cages ! Nothing like exploring the possibilities !

25. backwoodsconsr on April 21st, 2012 12:14 am

Wouldn't you like to have one of these babies?

26. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 1:22 am

I think I remember hearing about that version of the Spitfire; really fast for the era and the Spitfire was so maneuverable because of that unique wing design.

Notice how similar the fuselage is to the P-51 Mustang ? If I`m not mistaken, the Mustang drew many design cues from it. The rear was lowered and the bubble canopy replaced this earlier style and became one of the most beautiful planes of that era !

Yes indeed, I love just to see one; owning one would be too cool !

These examples, crated, packed in grease, wax and tar, should be in "good as new" condition, or as restorers would say, "the same as new / old stock" !

27. backwoodsconsr on April 21st, 2012 9:54 am

The closest I've ever been to one is playing Combat Flight Simulator 3. The Spitfire was the most maneuverable plane in the game. The Spitfire and the Tempest (also British) were the two planes I would choose from when I really wanted to kick ass.

28. RecklessProcess on April 21st, 2012 10:52 am

If they happily pass off this misinformation as the truth just imagine how wildly wrong the rest of their reporting is.

29. Marshall_Will on April 21st, 2012 2:46 pm

That about COVERS it!? Any questions? Class dismissed…

30. Marshall_Will on April 21st, 2012 2:49 pm

Or "shizz" if you prefer. I don't believe we've broken 500 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats have we? I thought the land speed record was around the low 400's.

31. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 3:07 pm

Heh heh, no, some Brits blistered past 400 . Take a look at this for "th shizz" !

All alone in broken sound barrier territory !

32. mcmeador on April 21st, 2012 5:39 pm

I don't know if Thomas Roberts could answer your extra credit question, but we can definitely go to Chelsea Chambers for that answer:

33. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 7:12 pm

Chelsea makes it really hard to fight off the "dumb blonde" jokes ! I`ll just say, "Life is tuff enuff without making it more complicated than it has to be !"

34. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 7:23 pm

Surveys have shown that the vast majority of NASCAR fans are conservatives and I`d say, the vast majority of conservatives don`t celebrate communist dictator`s birthdays ! Earth Day is on the birthday of Vladamir Lenin ! The Green Party and the green movement are fronts for the Communist Party USA !

35. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 7:27 pm

I`d like to ask Chelsea how long it would take someone to drive a Ferrari 240 miles at 240 mph ?!

Answer: even if the tank would hold enough gas to go 240 miles at that rate of fuel consumption, it would take around 32 days, depending on the driver`s and the cop`s attitudes and the speed of the court system !

You don`t think there is actually a stretch of road long and straight enough to go that fast without getting caught do you ?

36. SignPainterGuy on April 21st, 2012 8:04 pm

Had to Bing the Tempest, couldn`t remember it well. I notice it had similar wings to the Spitfire but a slightly more powerful engine !

37. jeffythequick on April 22nd, 2012 1:52 am

I'd love to, but I spend time on these:

(had to get the biofuel thing in there…)

38. backwoodsconsr on April 22nd, 2012 9:48 am

Those things were hell in the video game. Between the speed, maneuverability, and the firepower of 4 20mm cannons, there wasn't anything in the air or on the ground that could stand up to it.

39. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 6:24 pm

Cool ! What do you do with / on / to the 787 ?

40. backwoodsconsr on April 22nd, 2012 7:17 pm

Confirmed: NASCAR does use ethanol. And Richard Childress is a patsy for it.

41. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 9:40 pm

RC says he believes in clean air, but it has been proven that ethanol in gasoline produces more smog than plain gasoline. PLUS, in vehicles as old as mine, `98, the fuel system aluminum parts are not designed to stand up to ethanol; thus, they dissolve and corrode and cause the engine to run poorly, causing more pollution. I HATE ETHANOL !

It takes 400 to 1,200 gallons of water to grow enough corn to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. Not a very effective use of our water supply ! Add to that the fact that corn is not nearly the best source of ethanol ! In truth, diverting food corn to fuel use is an attempt by socialists / communists to lessen our own food supply and control us !

42. jeffythequick on April 22nd, 2012 10:11 pm

Kansas.

43. jeffythequick on April 22nd, 2012 10:13 pm

Supplier Quality Engineer.

They're an awesome company to work for.

44. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 11:05 pm

I was an Overtheroad trucker in the mid `70s and drove across Kansas. Yep, a table should be so flat. The sky met the horizon straight out there, nearly ALL the land was plowed, if there were trees, they were around buildings for wind-breaks or along fence rows and the only hills were where the Interstate Hwy. was built up to cross railroads or for smaller roads to cross the I. There IS still the issue of the Ferrari driver not getting caught !

45. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 11:07 pm

So I have heard !

46. jeffythequick on April 23rd, 2012 2:20 am

or the cop catching the Ferrari driver.

But it'd be pretty easy. S/he's the one with that big ol' grin on their face.

What's the topography of I-90 in Eastern Montana? 240 might not be both reasonable and prudent.

47. ChapBix on April 23rd, 2012 10:01 am

"Extra credit question for Thomas Roberts: Assuming the cars go 500 miles per hour, why does it take several hours to complete the Daytona 500?"

Because it takes that long to clean up after all of the fiery crashes as a result of going 500 MPH.

48. DB523 on May 2nd, 2012 7:28 pm

Dear Reckless Process, I followed you at the old Breitbart. I am posting at a new site developed by NavyGentleman and Cowboy Logic. If you follow my ID back to where I post, it would be fun to talk with you again. Hope to see you.

49. blogc2011 on February 27th, 2013 4:45 pm

I highly agree with Immigration lawyer Miami you are saying my good fellow. I had some trouble with coding and stuffs when I was new but in time I got better.