Let this meeting of the Gas-Powered Leaf Blower Appreciation Society come to order…

Eco scam zillionaire Al Gore has written “Reflections on Earth Day” (I’ll reserve my opinion of Gore’s hero Rachel Carson for another day).

I mention the Goracle because he helps me get right to the point of why I hate Earth Day as it is observed: I spend my life being responsible. I clean up after myself. I turn off lights in rooms nobody is in. I don’t waste gas. I pick up garbage if I see it on the walking trail. I recycle as much as possible. I help keep the park clean. I’m careful with proper disposal of chemicals, batteries, used oil, etc. And then, on Earth Day, a bunch of pious millionaires who embrace political philosophies that have throughout history destroyed many a country and left those environments in smoldering ruin emerge from their limousines, private jets and mansions to tell me I’m the problem with the planet. Even more annoyingly, this is the day that the people who heralded the arrival of The One by doing this to the National Mall turn on the smug and say their way must be followed if we’re to clean up this place. No thanks.

The first Earth Day was in 1970, and it featured entertainment provided by folk artist/communist (not necessarily in that order) Pete Seeger. Connections like that… as well as these… are other reasons I hate Earth Day.

Oh, coincidentally, today is also the birthday of the private-property abolitionist Vladimir Lenin. I’m just sayin’…

With that said, here’s something I post almost every year. George Carlin’s famous Earth Day bit. “Save the f*#@ing planet!?”

Comments

28 Responses to “Earth Day Open Thread”

1. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 3:27 pm

Dog gonnit, I got an error message on the vid …. and I really wanted to laugh at Carlin AND earf day ! Oh well, I`ll just sit back, switch back and forth between those environment destroying NASCAR and Formula 1 races !

Good on ya Doug for doing your part in preserving our world without falling for the Agenda 21 – sustainability, green crap ! Celebrating human achievement, God`s Sabbath and leaving no room for communist dictators or Useless Nation`s mandates !

2. clu seatoe on April 22nd, 2012 4:49 pm

ALGORE:

One of the growing multitude of those who have learned to make millions from doing nothing but feigning anger and complaining, among the loudest, the longest, and charging the most money for it.

George Carlin was a professional comedian, you could buy a ticket or not. Not everybody did.

Even so, Algore has learned the art of professional childish complaining and petty name calling. You can buy a ticket or not. Only a few do.

Two main differences are Carlin didn’t take himself as serious as Gore has and so didn’t let his ego get as big.

The other is that Carlin believed that if you didn’t want to listen to him, that’s OK, but Gore has a problem with those who don’t buy tickets and that’s where the name calling and anger comes in. It seems that it’s at least as important to Gore’s ego that he be believed than it is that he be paid.

3. Marshall_Will on April 22nd, 2012 5:27 pm

Right, like Michelle's "Hate Tweet o' The Day" last week on her alleged "overreach". Are you f@cking KIDDING us!? In a certain regard, she's a conservative commentator ( just like GC )

She doesn't MAKE policy you liberal a-holes! Like the rest of us, we're too busy trying to send people to DC to UN-do the mess, not make more enviro/financial/entitlement 'legislation'.

If you listen to the audience, Carlin was getting primarily nervous laughter. I believe that clip is from the late 90's. No doubt ( as George was ahead of his time across the board ) it was considered 'insolent'. A bold transgression.

Take Earf Day and SHOVE IT progs… We played our power sucking vacuum tube amplifiers until our ears bled and threw the aluminum beer cans in a bonfire! SHOVE IT proggie.

4. Pasadena Phil on April 22nd, 2012 8:17 pm

There is something comical about this considering that I am about as green as you can be and still eat meat. I can almost walk to work on days on don't work at home. I run 3-5 miles every day so I can go on my epic hikes through the Grand Canyon or Yosemite retracing John Muir's footsteps. I eat sensibly. I've got my electric bill down to next to nothing. I am about to dump my bundled U-Verse package to save about 75% while improving my service. I grow my own tomatoes, peppers and herbs and I am the only person that I know who is not on any kind of medication, largely because I take good care of myself.

I am one of those self-governing people who don't need the government to tell me what to do. I know a lot of people just like me, some are liberal, some are conservatives but most just don't care one way or the other. Yet I need to hear these lectures every year?

5. Patti on April 22nd, 2012 8:44 pm

Governor Palin wrote an excellent article for “Earth Day” over at National Review Online. She makes the case for good environmental stewardship through domestic production, while also pointing out the economic benefits of drilling our own oil. The rest of the GOP would be wise to follow Governor Palin’s lead in making this clear case to the American public.

She wrote:

On this holiest of days for EcoLiberals, how about if Americans celebrate Earth Day with responsible energy development that leads to greater independence and conservation?

There’s no better way for President Obama and his administration to celebrate Earth Day than to embrace a real, environmentally sound commitment to energy independence instead of relying on foreign countries that lack environmental safeguards. One aspect of the “all-of-the-above” approach I have been discussing for years involves, of course, the necessity to “drill, baby, drill.”

It’s no secret that throughout America, including the very wealthy state of Alaska, we find a storehouse of natural resources that God so benevolently dumped underfoot, just waiting to be tapped. ANWR, for example, is screaming to be used to help bring prosperity and national security to America. Indeed, there is an inherent link between energy and prosperity and energy and security. On this day, as many are focused on preserving the planet, environmentalists need not fear that the land or wildlife would suffer from the wise decision to drill here. As Alaskans know, ANWR is not some luxurious vacation spot teeming with Bambi and friends frolicking through waterfalls and flower-strewn mountainsides, as environmentalist fundraising advertisements depict it. It is a vast, remote, desolate, frozen area available to be used with a tiny drilling footprint to bring the country closer to what is clearly needed: commonsense, money-saving, job-producing energy independence. Believe me, I live in the Last Frontier because I cherish the earth and thrive in the clean air and fresh water amid our plentiful wildlife. I don’t want to mess this up for future generations.

You can read the entire article here: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/296694/envir

6. Marshall_Will on April 22nd, 2012 8:54 pm

As have I Phil, but good LUCK getting your libby friends to actually acknowledge all of your frugal choices, disciplined approach and frugal manner.

Progs do what they do because they care. Their benevolence exuding from every orifice. I YOU do it ( it's just because you're cheap and/or evading additional taxation )

Can't TELL you how many times I've had to remind libs, Hey @$$hole…, ( I'm the guy that WALKS to work, remember..? ) It shuts 'em up for a few months, weeks, sentences and then their Default Setting ( blame white male conservatives ) kicks in with auto-pilot precision. Now if they ask what I'm doing for the environment I tell 'em, not-a-freaking-thing.

7. Marshall_Will on April 22nd, 2012 8:57 pm

Further, visit a few of those 3rd World s-holes Progs and witness what "resources" look like when peasants have to pirate everything from electrical hookup to cable and sewer water runs in the streets b/c they could not afford proper service. A result of crushing poverty.

Take a good LOOK ( because that's exactly where we're heading! )

8. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks Patti ! I watched Sarah`s "The Undefeated" and was amazed at her common sense approaches, her relentless battles against the corrupt and entrenched powers "that were" ! You cannot in any sense of honesty watch that doc. and say Sarah is "dumb, uneducated or inexperienced" !

She is so right about ANWR & other areas and AlBore is so wrong about the environment !

9. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 9:07 pm

I do basic recycling (the county decided the extensive version is just too expensive or not profitable enough) but I prefer to think, instead of doing much "for" the environment, I`m just not doing much "against" it ! That gets those delightful odd looks !

10. jeffythequick on April 22nd, 2012 10:02 pm

Hey, I want to celebrate Earth Day!

The Holiday on 4/22, Lenin's birthday, which was chosen because it was on a Wednesday, so they could get more people to the rallies. Yes, folks, people are looking to rally on Wednesdays! http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/04/0
    Yes, it's a rumor that Earth Day/Lenin's birthday are coincidental. Let's move it to November 29th then. If you look at the answers to why it's April 22, and Lenin, they never answer the question. They dodge it with Aunt Tillie and St. Augustine. But, they don't say, "no, that's not why we did it on that day."

Look at the caption of the picture of that leader of nonviolence, drug, and free-love movements in the 1960s, Ira Einhorn! What a great guy! What ever happened to him? Oh yeah, he non-violently murdered his girlfriend, Holly Maddux. Then, he stuffed her in a trunk and lived in the apartment until the stench was so great the neighbors called the police. When his attorney asked for a lower bail (this was a first offense, after all…), it was reduced to $40,000. The attorney's name? Arlen Specter. Yep, that Arlen. He posted bond, and then skipped the country for 20 years, living in… France.

With a history like, that, I tell my daughter, We're not celebrating Earth Day. We'll keep doing what we're doing because it saves money, and I'd rather be frugal. If she really wants to celebrate, let's go out back and set some tires on fire and have a BBQ.

11. clu seatoe on April 22nd, 2012 10:29 pm

“…AlBore is so wrong about the environment!”

Carful there SPG, you’re getting pretty close to crossing the line.

Actually, one sad aspect is that this guy has all the money he’ll ever need; he has pretty much has inherited the world, but no real purpose in life. He has to find a reason to get up each morning and out of all the things around the world to get involved with, to do, or to care about, this is what he’s chosen, this is what stimulates his interests, and this is the only thing he can wrap his mind around.

One might possibly understand, and maybe even join him if he would start trying to quietly tackle the earth’s environment in some of the African nations or the Russian or the Middle Eastern oil fields.

It’s like do as little as physically possible for the most publicity.

12. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 10:45 pm

There are folks who have bought the gorebull warming crap hook, line and sinker, believe it to the bone, so I guess AlBore "could" really believe it, but I suspect he heard about the $10 + Trillion annually that can be reaped / fleeced from rich nations if the whole UN environmental package goes through. He thinks he`ll get a healthy chunk of it ! He is drunk on the possibility of being dizzyingly rich. I think he`s just dizzy !

13. SignPainterGuy on April 22nd, 2012 10:53 pm

I suspect that the communists who founded the original green movement decades ago were enamored with Lenin. It`s no secret that it isn`t about the environment, it`s about the power, which they had so little of, the control, which they had even less of and the money that can come with power and control, which is such a great motivator ! Likely the "hope" in Hope and Change ! Hence, my preference; Hoax and Chains !

14. Patti on April 22nd, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi there SignPainterGuy…

Couldn't agree with you more. darlin'! "The Undefeated" should be MANDATORY viewing for ALL Americans.

Speaking of corrupt and entrenched powers, our friends at the UN have big plans….

Yesterday morning I caught a few minutes of the “Center For Global Development” on CSPAN. These are the global do-gooders who want to control our sources of energy through “sustainability”. This presentation was frightening on so many levels, and I suggest that you go watch the rebroadcast in full right here on CSPAN. Let me put it this way: The featured speaker was Ban Ki Moon, the head of the UN.
    It’s all about control of the people. That’s what this group, and others like it, are all about.

15. Patti on April 23rd, 2012 12:15 am

And here's another good piece on the topic…

U.N. To Debut Plan For World Socialism http://patriotupdate.com/21772/u-n-to-debut-plan-

16. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2012 12:25 am

Isn`t that the "Agenda 21" ? Keywords "sustainable, green, renewable, solar and wind power, etc." We`ll lose our property rights, even our nat`l sovereignty under Agenda 21 ! We desperately need to get out of the UN and get the UN out of the USA !

Today`s paper had Earf Day ad nauseum w/ a number of builder co. ads ALL featuring "sustainability" ! I`d laugh it it weren`t such a threat ….. a REAL threat !

17. Patti on April 23rd, 2012 1:54 am

Isn`t that the "Agenda 21" ?

Yep. That it is. Bet lil barry is very excited…We can't wait !

18. Marshall_Will on April 23rd, 2012 2:58 am

As conservatives, any time you see some dot.org beginning with "Center For…." run, don't walk!

They keep having to morph and that's the function of talking point generators like "Demos", Crooks & Liars etc. Got to keep those TP's sounding 'fresh' you know? ( Meanwhile, the agenda plods along…. )

Only now the same BS w/ a fresh coat of paint. My father used to say, "Son, you can't polish a turd?"

19. Marshall_Will on April 23rd, 2012 3:00 am

Great historic perspective Jeff. Good to see Snarlin' Arlen get his in the end. I'll have to -not- read his new waaaahmbulance chasing book.

20. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2012 3:13 am

Coincidentally, there are two meetings, educational symposiums next weekend on Agenda 21 about 30 miles from me. If I can make it AND find the place, I`d like to attend; should be very informative !

21. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2012 3:19 am

You really can`t, but the demoprogs do keep trying !

22. ChapBix on April 23rd, 2012 10:14 am

Don't have a problem with God's Sabbath. The rest of it is typical liberal/regressive/communist bilge.

23. ChapBix on April 23rd, 2012 10:40 am

"Hoax and Chains"

Great one, SPG!

24. jeffythequick on April 23rd, 2012 12:24 pm

I was looking over at MM's Orrin Hatch thread about term limits, and I cannot disagree more on term limits, but I'd like to see:

1. For the House, the real intent of the First Amendment (not the one ratified first, but the real Article the first) and have no more than one representative per 50,000 people. As it stands now, one representative per 740,000 is a bit much.
    2. Repeal the 17th amendment. We have two houses of representatives, and no representation for the states in this US. Get rid of popularly elected Senators. I'm kind of iffy on that one, though.
    3. For term limits, get rid of the 22nd amendment (term limits for the president), and replace it with this:
    No person shall be elected to federal office without attaining at least fifty percent, plus the number of years, with the highest percentage being 67%, served in that office sought. If there is no winner in an election, a run off with the person currently holding the office disqualified shall be held within four weeks. Any person losing an election or retiring within 8 months of an election where their current position is being voted shall not be eligible for any retirement benefits, including health, pension, or any form from the Federal Government.

The third one is so we can keep electing them, if they get 67% of the vote, but it essentially goes like this:
    Office Re-elect after one term % Max terms for 67%
    President 54% of the electors 5
    House 52% of votes cast 9
    Senate 56% of votes cast 3

Essentially, this makes it easier to "throw the bums out", and we get a better churn in each of these offices. Couple this with the 50,000 rule, I think it will solve both problems: The one with getting the bums out, the one with no proper representation, and the one where, if we want to, we can send a good person back to represent us.

Plus, I like the "no quitting" rule 8 months out. You strategically quit, no pensions for you!

25. jeffythequick on April 23rd, 2012 12:30 pm

Sorry for being O/T, but it *did* say "open thread"…

Plus, the chart looked better when I typed it… Looks like intensedebate removes extraneous spaces.

26. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2012 3:43 pm

ID has a mind of its own. Some times it won`t allow the + (plus) sign !

27. jeffythequick on April 23rd, 2012 4:24 pm

No + is definitely a -.
    ;)

28. SignPainterGuy on April 23rd, 2012 9:07 pm

So, we better pump and dispose of the bilge before the EPA says we can`t !