“Hope and Change” in theory — “a Federal regulator on every family farm” in practice.

Here’s the latest example of big-government gone wild:

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”

“Prohibited places of employment,” a Department press release read, “would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.”

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

Would you rather have the 4-H teach your kids farm safety, or some DC bureaucrat whose only experience shoveling bullshit is in the figurative sense?

Yes, what was once referred to as “carrying eggs from the chicken coup to the house” may soon be known as “illegally transporting farm materials.”

Last month, Republican Senators John Thune and Jerry Moran introduced the Preserving America’s Family Farm Act to stop this madness. Thune pointed out that the new regs are so specific that they would ban people on a family farm under 18 from using battery powered screwdrivers and pressurized garden hoses. Somebody needs to turn the hose on the Department of Labor… and the EPA… and the Department of Energy… and the….

If you have a family farm and are concerned that you won’t be able to make ends meet if your kids can’t help with the work, just contact the White House and I’m sure they’d be happy to put you in touch with one of their Big Labor pals who would be more than happy to help you get the job done… at a cost.

Coming soon from the administration to farmers: “You’re also going to be needing to install some solar panels on that farm, Mr. Green Jeans. Fortunately we’ve got some friends who can help you with that too!”

*****

Update from the Daily Caller:

Under pressure from farming advocates in rural communities, and following a report by The Daily Caller, the Obama administration withdrew a proposed rule Thursday that would have applied child labor laws to family farms.

Critics complained that the regulation would have drastically changed the extent to which children could work on farms owned by family members. The U.S. Department of Labor cited public outcry as the reason for withdrawing the rule.

There’s no such thing as keeping too close an eye on these people…

Comments

64 Responses to “Labor Department Poised to Ban People Under 18 From Performing Chores on Family Farms; Update: Government Does an Election Year Cave-In

1. Truesoldier__ on April 25th, 2012 11:09 am

This is just crazy. I remember some of the best times growing up (and some of the best things learned) were working on my Uncle's farm in Idaho. This is just yet another attempt at the government trying to regulate how our kids are raised. You know Obama, Reid, Pelosi et al cannot stand the idea that there are some kids out there that are learning not to be dependent on the government teat.

2. backwoodsconsr on April 25th, 2012 11:54 am

Are they trying to foment a revolution?

3. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 12:41 pm

You know, it's funny, the anti second amendment people were attacking legal gun owners as gun nuts, and the root cause of violence, to which, the person for preservation of the Constitution said:

"You're lucky that gun owners aren't what you say they are. There are approximately 300 million guns in the USA, and if they were as crazy as you say, there would be a lot less of you."

4. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 12:46 pm

It was hard work, but good work. My first job was on a farm, bucking hay, pulling tansy (poisonous weed that cows apparently like), pulling thistles, clearing land with hand tools for $2/hour. The owner saw what a good job I did, and gave me a 25% raise to $2.50/hour (this was 1984, when minimum wage was $3.35/hour).

I learned three things:
    1. Work hard, and you can negotiate a raise.
    2. Be grateful to your boss.
    3. I had better get an education, so I wouldn't have to work that hard with my body to make a living. (My brother was a successful roofer, and fell off several of them, and learn that lesson later than I did.)

5. Truesoldier__ on April 25th, 2012 1:48 pm
  6. Joe Redfield on April 25th, 2012 1:48 pm

Soon they'll be going after domestic violators who force their underage residents to make their own beds or pick their toys up. Parents had also better make sure allowances meet minimum wage standards.

7. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:13 pm

Till I was 18, I spent 2 weeks each summer working on my Uncle`s farm, at hay bailing time. It seemed it was always fence repair time, too ! Nobody paid me; they thought it was good life-experience ! It was, but getting there and back was a great part of the "adventure"; I rode Greyhound buses till I was 12 when they switched to planes.

8. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:20 pm

Our "betters" are gonna make sure that children do not learn the benefits of hard work, good work ethics and they are making sure that the generation that owns these farms now are the LAST !

It`s part and parcel to the effort to control our food supply so that we can be more easily controlled ! Diverting food corn to ethanol fuel production is part of that !

9. dancermommd on April 25th, 2012 2:25 pm

They are just trying to make all farms company owned so they can then get their union dues.

10. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:27 pm

A gun nut buddy of mine has a poster on his back door showing an eye behind the sight of a semi-auto pistol. The pistol is pointed at the observer. The caption, "Forget the dog, Beware of Owner !"

I just love that !

BTW, this buddy was a lib until he realized that it is republicans who are fighting to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I had been hinting at him for ever, but the O`Stration convinced him / opened his eyes ! Whew !

11. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 2:28 pm

Never rode a Greyhound airplane…

Hopefully they buy American built ones, like the ones that come from South Carolina.

12. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 2:33 pm

I think the best people that see things our way were the ones that once saw it the other way, and realized the folly of that way.

I have a different gift. I can think like they do and realize the folly (there's that word again) of that thinking.

It also helps me deal with people at work with understanding others' train of thought, and convincing them of my way, which, of course, is correct.

13. backwoodsconsr on April 25th, 2012 2:35 pm

I'd rather give them onion dues.

14. clu seatoe on April 25th, 2012 2:42 pm

As a tweenager and then as a teenager growing up I worked in orchards picking fruit, in construction with my dad doing whatever a kid can do, as general labor and collector on egg ranches, in the fast food business, in auto wrecking yards, in gas stations, mowing neighbors yards, and in retail and yes I did wash my hand before each meal. I never thought of myself as being in need of protection. MY point was not to make a living, but to earn money to do and have teenage stuff. I was also able to focus my mile-a-minute teenage mind on some constructive things and I still had time left over to be a terror to the local authorities. I was even in the military and fighting in a war as a teenager.

But the other experiences I had, and the things I learned about how life works outside my home I would not trade for anything.

I would be intolerably angry if the government came along and, butting into my life, said they’ve decided “for my benefit” to take those life experiences and those memories away from me and it makes equally as angry to hear them declare that they have decided to deny those “growing up in America” experiences to others by their attempts at controlling the masses under the guise of child protection.

15. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:43 pm

Yep, those winged dogs were something else ! Holding onto the collar and dodging those flapping ears was quite a chore !

Imagine this happening today. I was 13 I think. Had a connecting flight. When I deplaned, there was another identical plane on the tarmac, just sitting there, no activity around it. I asked the stewardess if it was my flight. She didn`t know, suggested I go inside the terminal and find out. I tried, but couldn`t get to a ticket desk because of the crowd, so I went back out to the gate. The plane was still there. I asked an attendant if he knew if it was my flight, but neither of us could read the # on the steps at the tail. After several minutes of waiting and wondering, I finally asked if I could walk out onto the tarmac and get close enough to read the #. He let me. It WAS my flight; they were waiting FOR ME !

After boarding, a stewardess checked my ticket, said she was glad I made it, they couldn`t have waited for me much longer, then told me to sit wherever I wanted; there were few passengers.

16. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:50 pm

"You`re lucky ……>"

SO STEALING THAT !! ;-) The anti-gun idiots are thick as thieves here and very vocal in the gun story comment threads !

17. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:54 pm

YES !! And if it is the pro-Constitution, -2nd Amendment crowd revolting, The Executive Orderer-in-Chief will use his new power to declare Martial Law and suspend elections and other rights !

18. Truesoldier__ on April 25th, 2012 2:55 pm

and then they will count those minimum wage allowances as jobs created.

19. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 2:57 pm

That is a significant chunk of the plan ! It`s about (all together now) POWER and CONTROL !!

20. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 3:01 pm

Bless YOUR heart ! I can`t think like a lib, but I was granted the "Gift of the Spirit" – discernment ! IOW, a very sensitive BS Meter !

21. Granny55 on April 25th, 2012 4:01 pm

Next thing you know – the govt. will have all the children in the US be model citizens like Trayvon Martin.

22. Granny55 on April 25th, 2012 4:09 pm

Clu

They don't want children to experience "growing up in America". They want the children in fly over country to experience "urban renewal" so they can appreciate how the "moochers" live. Then all those farm kids will want to flee the farm for the cities where they will all sign up for their "free" entitlements and join the OWS crowd crowing about the evil 1%.

I agree with Doug – the government teaching farm kids how to do their jobs is just pure bullshit (of which all govt officials are full of).

23. Granny55 on April 25th, 2012 4:36 pm

"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it." –American writer H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

24. Truesoldier__ on April 25th, 2012 4:55 pm

Like I have said in the past. If they could just harness all the BS in DC and convert it to energy we would never run out of energy.

25. Marshall_Will on April 25th, 2012 4:59 pm

Just batting cleanup for the few that remain. The process is almost complete.

"Last month, Republican Senators John Thune and Jerry Moran introduced the Preserving America’s Family Farm Act to stop this madness."

Yo… GOP, this hasn't exactly been a 'secret'. Even casual news readers have been following this for years. Many STATES have been trying to cattle prod this BS legislation thru their respective State houses since I can't remember.

Don't look for any pats on the back from me John. Do you and John Edwards use the same stylist? Never a hair out of place. The remaining farm family children should be so grateful….

26. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:34 pm

Now…

Child Protective Services would be called on your parents for child abandonment.
    TSA would strip search you
    The airlines would tell you that the door has to be closed 20 minutes prior to take off, and they're hermetically sealed until the destination.

Then, if you finally got on the airplane, NOW would be all over you for saying the word, "stewardess".

27. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:34 pm

and it hasn't gone off on me?
    ;)

28. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:35 pm

Can't steal it… it's freely given.

I just wish I could remember the show. I know it was on FNC.

29. Patti on April 25th, 2012 5:35 pm

If I Wanted America to Fail, I’d Ban Kids From Farm Work
    by Sarah Palin

The Obama Administration is working on regulations that would prevent children from working on our own family farms. This is more overreach of the federal government with many negative consequences. And if you think the government’s new regs will stop at family farms, think again.

My family is a commercial fishing family, and commercial fishing in Alaska is much like the family farm (but the year 'round farmers no doubt work harder than we do!). I guarantee fishing families wouldn’t stand for this nonsensical intrusion into our lives and livelihoods, and, as a former 4-H member, I don’t believe farm families will either. Our kids learn to work and to help feed America on our nation’s farms, and out on the water.

Federal government: get your own house in order and stop interfering in ours.

- Sarah Palin http://www.facebook.com/notes/...

30. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:35 pm

Do they get a free (for them) Hoodie?

31. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:38 pm

Can I get an "amen"?

32. Patti on April 25th, 2012 5:42 pm

Waiting on comment from Mr. Rmoney™ ….(.staff is checking polls to see what their response should be.):)

Sorry, feeling a little bitchy today. lol

33. Truesoldier__ on April 25th, 2012 5:46 pm

And you would find a note in your luggage from the TSA letting you know they patted down your undies and were glad to inform you there was no bomb in them.

34. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:50 pm

or worse… they opened 3 cans of formula and didn't find anything hazardous in it, and to be sure that no bad air was trapped inside, they left the lids off.

35. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 5:51 pm

I felt one yesterday, and it was wonderful!
    ;)

36. Truesoldier__ on April 25th, 2012 6:00 pm

All this talk reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago about how ridiculous the TSA is:

37. jeffythequick on April 25th, 2012 6:03 pm

well.. you know… we all want to change the world.
    ….
    You say you'll change the Constitution, well, you know
    We all want to change your head.

38. David Madewell on April 25th, 2012 6:41 pm

When Government becomes intertwined with Industry the result is Fascism. We are now living in a Fascist Dictatorship. It is unlikely that the situation will improve under a Romney Administration. Monsanto and the Banking Industry , along with others, are embedded in the Obama Administration. Agency regulations have replaced Legislative action. Considering that most department heads are appointed and not elected, we are experiencing the very type of government that our founding fathers carefully crafted legislation to prevent. This development isn't unique to this administration, only more blatant and exaggerated. Remedy?

39. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:12 pm

I can see the TSA / baggage-handler logic in that, as well as your humor *chuckle-snort*, but get real man, cans of formula ?, I was 13 !

40. Deb on April 25th, 2012 7:14 pm

well if this is the case what should one do with children who love love to work on the farm, this is too crazy, just another attempt to control our lives, I would love to sit down with this hilda and have a nice one on one with her..

41. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:19 pm

For you, it sounds like the "laugh box" of Jack Nicholson`s "Joker" character after he fell to his death from a sky scraper ! ;-)

42. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:25 pm

There have been two gun stories in the local paper in the last week. I commented first on both. The first got all kinds of anti-gun loony responses to me and others, incl. calling me Capt. America and moron ! Yesterday`s was about a GA Grandmother who shot a would be robber. 10 or so positive comments and as of this morning, not one negative. The story supported exactly what I had said after the first story. Fascinating !

43. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:35 pm

One thing in Alaska`s favor, to go along with the independent frontier spirit is that they can carry guns without permits. Nearly everyone is armed. An armed society is a polite society !

Sarah`s work as governor incl. changing ownership of Alaska`s natural resources away from companies to The People – The Citizens of the state !

As long as The People means The People, and not like China where the term really means the Gov. and Military, then Alaska is way ahead of the game !

44. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:42 pm

Remedy? First, get rid of Obama and all his czars and EOs and ObummerScare and the drilling moratoriums and ……

While Glenn Beck was still on FOX, he told and warned us about the scariest of all of Obama`s czars – Cass Sunstein, Regulatory Czar !

45. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:46 pm

Many of us would as well, but Hilda would not listen; she is so much smarter than us; she`d just call you / us names and leave !

46. SignPainterGuy on April 25th, 2012 7:47 pm

AMEN and HUZZAH !!

47. Spartanburg Tea Party » Labor Dept. poised to keep kids from helping on family farms on April 25th, 2012 9:11 pm

[...] the most ridiculous story of the day, Doug Powers comments: Here’s the latest example of big-government gone [...]

48. KenJames on April 25th, 2012 10:45 pm

I would love to see a few thousand tractors drive up to the Department of Labor and drop manure on their doorstep .

49. jeffythequick on April 26th, 2012 12:17 am
  50. jeffythequick on April 26th, 2012 12:17 am

Sorry, couldn't resist that last one… ;)

51. ChapBix on April 26th, 2012 12:53 am

This is all about boosting union membership.

52. ChapBix on April 26th, 2012 12:54 am

Yet again another display of government reaching into the micro details of our lives.

53. ChapBix on April 26th, 2012 12:54 am

How did we ever get along without them in 200+ years of our country?

54. NORCAL1 on April 26th, 2012 1:50 am

I'd put a dollar on it that the idea is to vacate the jobs that the kids are doing, so that so called "UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS" can come in from other lands and get PAID to do the same job! More Voters, and HIGHER PRICES in the stores!

55. Janet on April 26th, 2012 11:23 am

Our son grew up working on the family farm, graduating from University of Washington with a degree in economics. He came straight back to the farm and in 5 years is ready to take it over. This is an assault and insult to family farms.

56. SignPainterGuy on April 26th, 2012 2:19 pm

Good for him and you ! My prayer is that the "economics" he learned was NOT of the Keynesian persuasion !

57. gnafu on April 26th, 2012 3:03 pm

Sec. Solis needs to get a "real" job. She doesn't have enough to do if she wants to go after samll farmers, the backbone of our communities.

58. @trader888 on April 26th, 2012 5:19 pm

Control the food, and it's means of production, and you control all.

59. Billy on April 26th, 2012 9:32 pm

The only item anyone needs to use to convince anyone that incedious Laws like the new Labor Law for Farms is this:
    CIVIL WAR II: The Coming Breakup of America by Thomas Chittum, available @ amfirstbooks
    I'm not the author, have not interest in it selling as it was written in the 90's and updated with a new preface, author & publisher to move the Date with destiny closer to NOW.

60. frank k. on April 26th, 2012 11:54 pm

This will likely not sit well with the Commander of the "1st Amish Pitchfork and Torch Division" …. frank k.

61. SignPainterGuy on April 27th, 2012 12:54 am

Of that I have no doubt !

62. SignPainterGuy on April 27th, 2012 1:05 am

Obviously, someone in the admin. recognized this as a LOSER !!

How about the licensing regs proposed and announced last year that would have severely limited who could drive farm equipment ?

63. jeffythequick on April 27th, 2012 2:02 am

;)

64. ict coursework on July 25th, 2012 10:09 am

A stewardess checked my ticket, said she was glad I made it, they couldn`t have waited for me much longer, then told me to sit wherever I wanted; there were few passengers.