When it comes to Michael Moore, it’s difficult to decide which group of people I envy more: The blind, or the deaf.

Today it’s the deaf:

Filmmaker Michael Moore has made his debut as a folk singer with a remake of the Bob Dylan classic “The Times They Are A-Changin” for the upcoming Occupy Wall Street album, but with slightly altered lyrics.

“Occupy This Album” is a compilation CD of 99 songs featuring David Crosby & Graham Nash, Steve Earle, Tom Morello, Willie Nelson, Ani DiFranco, Third Eye Blind, Immortal Technique and Jackson Browne to be released Tuesday, May 15th.

All proceeds from the album will go to fund the Occupy Wall Street movement, with all the musicians and songwriters donating their time and music.

There are 99 songs. Get it? What clever multi-millionaires! If they weren’t hypocrites there would be only one song.

Here’s Moore (aka Fats Dumino) singing. Click “play” at your own risk:

#OccupyBarfBag

Moore originally auditioned this song back in 2009 on the Tonight Show after an interview in which the only thing he compromised was the architectural integrity of the floor joists:

Cue Mr. Strickland from Back to the Future:

Comments

16 Responses to “Yikes: Michael Moore Sings”

1. jeffythequick on May 5th, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah, the deaf. I can always close my eyes and listen to the Best of Yoko Ono.

2. SignPainterGuy on May 5th, 2012 2:42 pm

Not even my tinnitus could block out the floor stress-tester`s expectedly horrible singing. Besides, as I replenished my eye bleach supply, I checked for ear bleach; none exists; bought brain bleach instead. Not gonna waste a good cleanin` !

3. SignPainterGuy on May 5th, 2012 2:45 pm

If you do, then I KNOW you be gots teh gluttons fer punishment ! ;-)

4. Rick on May 5th, 2012 3:31 pm

Good, maybe they will use the money they raise to repair the damage they did and repay the cities for all the overtime they had to pay out to the police and service crews.

5. jeffythequick on May 5th, 2012 3:53 pm

I agree. These people that did it should be sued for every last penny that is needed to pay for the damage and cost of the OT.

Throw a brick through a window? That'll be $1200, plus punitive damages for $40,000. Then, these jerks can go to the charity to pay for their stupidity.

They'll soon find that all animals are equal. Except, some are more equal than others.

6. Doug on May 6th, 2012 7:59 pm

Hey Jeffy, thanks for the photo catch on the other post. Didn't know that about the picture… so I got rid of it. You're right… if that's the case it's nothing I'd want to use in a comedic context. Since I'm not sure I decided to err on the side of caution.

7. jeffythequick on May 6th, 2012 9:26 pm

Doug,

I didn't know, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. I saw the black stripe on the officer's badge to Biden's left, and that made me wonder and worry.

Thanks,

Jeffy

8. SignPainterGuy on May 6th, 2012 9:54 pm

I remember that pic, but not the context (black ribbons on badges), just that we were making fun of the shock on everyone`s faces as Biden grabbed a leg. Does anyone remember the context ?

9. Doug on May 6th, 2012 10:05 pm

It's this pic, for anybody who hasn't seen it:

I had up a post about Biden briefly but Jeffy questioned where the lead-in picture was taken, so until I know for sure I'll keep it on hold. Never my intent to use something that might have happened at somebody's funeral as a source for mockery.

I've seen the picture a lot and never heard the context.

Oh, and the post WITHOUT the picture sucked, so until I have a chance to re-do it, the whole thing is gone.

10. SignPainterGuy on May 6th, 2012 10:25 pm

Yer a good and wise man, Doug, Thanks !

11. Doug on May 6th, 2012 10:34 pm

And thanks to anybody who points those things out.

My sensitivity to this goes back to years ago. Not long after I started this blog (I think around 2005 or so), back when a "good" day was 40 visits on the counter, I wrote something about Canada in which I used a picture of a couple of Canadian Mounties — and I thought it was just a generic photo. As it happened, somebody wrote me to say they had both been killed in the line of duty and the pics were from a news story about that incident. So… not funny anymore. That's the danger of a Google images search… you don't get any back story unless you go and look for it. I took it down immediately. Lesson learned.

12. SignPainterGuy on May 6th, 2012 11:04 pm

I can imagine maybe a couple hundred of this album may sell, for curiosity sake; certainly not for the music, if Moore is singing them all. How far does loyalty to the cause go ?

13. SignPainterGuy on May 6th, 2012 11:08 pm

Now that I think of it, Michael is way too lazy to sit in studio and cut 99 songs and especially if he isn`t getting a major cut of the proceeds !

14. jeffythequick on May 7th, 2012 12:30 am

Doug,

I've been doing some research on the pic, and it does appear in a bunch of comedy "caption this photo" contests, but there is no definitive source for the photo.

As for taking the post down, that only shows your character. My wife and I were discussing it, and I said, "Doug has enough coins in the bank of class that if this was a mistake, it was an honest one, and he took it down." Now, it's on me to find out where this photo came from…

Here's what I found so far…
    Delaware Law Enforcement Memorial ceremony in Dover, on May 3 or 4, 2010. Here's a link with another pic of him with the officer: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2615
    (about 3/4 the way down, from a different perspective) and again from the Dover Post: http://www.doverpost.com/communities/dover/x14065

Notice Biden wearing the same suit/tie, and the guy whose hand he had on his leg is the same, and in the same position.

So, it was a memorial service for fallen police officers, but not a funeral for one person.

Hope this helps!

Jeffy

15. SignPainterGuy on May 7th, 2012 1:43 am

Good sleuthing, Trick Dacey !

I think the "memorial" is plenty of context. Thanks !

16. FreedomSong12 on May 14th, 2012 5:33 am

the answer in a song: here’s Michel Montecrossa’s ‘Michael Moore Is A Rich Man – Laugh Out Loud, a New Topical Song about the music industry’s buy-out of the Occupy Movement http://vimeo.com/42005072

Michel Montecrossa about the song:
    “‘Michael Moore Is A Rich Man – Laugh Out Loud’ is a New-Topical-Song about a man of the 1% who pretends to be a man of the 99%. It’s an ironic song for occupy’s day without the 99%’. It’s about the music and movie industry of the 1% making a buy-out of the Occupy Movement, inviting the 99% to gladly become like the 1% through things like ‘Occupy This Album’ and stuff.”