*****

President Obama can try all he wants, but barring unforeseen catastrophic national security issues, the economy is going to decide his fate.

Endorsing gay marriage (again) doesn’t lower the deficit; or affect jobless claims; or provide cover for all the “clean energy” ripoffs; or undo Obamacare; or halt the labor force exodus; or get rid of Obama’s $5 trillion in new debt. The distraction will be short-lived. Besides, gays buy gas and groceries too.

It’s like the Titanic is preparing to take its fatal plunge and in order to placate those who are demanding that he do something about it the Captain comes out and says “Okay, dudes can marry dudes now!”

In closing, Obama knows why the troops — specifically gay troops — are out there fighting. The reason? For him:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

I don’t exactly think the battle cry in the US military is “Now let’s go get Obama re-elected!”

Comments

34 Responses to “Obama’s Gay Marriage Distraction”

1. swede on May 10th, 2012 12:28 pm

Oblurry: OK, what's my position on gay marriage?
    Axlerude: Gains 4.6 favorability points – loses 3.4 points.
    Oblurry: AC/DC it is!

2. @Pundit_Pete on May 10th, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks for all your great writing Doug. I love it.

As for the gay marriage distraction, I think most voters are going to remain focused on moving FORWARD. Here is an article (satire) on how that remarkable slogan came to be. Enjoy. http://punditpete.blogspot.com/2012/05/inside-oba

3. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2012 12:34 pm

This is already beginning to blow up in his face. First of all, as you noted, Obama can try to distract from the economic issues facing Americans but it isn't working.

Secondly, this announcement was no surprise to anyone.

Thirdly, he pissed off the gay and lesbian community by saying he personally believes they should be allowed to marry, but the states should decide the issue (in the 32 states that it has been on the ballot all 32 have sided with traditional marriage). There is also the chance that he may alienate many African American and Latino voters as they tend to be more religious and tend to believe more in traditional marriage. This could be seen as he believes he has the African American and Latino vote, so why not pander to the gay and lesbian vote as that groups feels he did not go far enough with doing away with DADT.

Finally, his statement about states being able to decide could undermine many of the court cases that were filled in states where traditional marriage votes won.

4. clu seatoe on May 10th, 2012 1:00 pm

Whether I needed it or not, if Zero himself came knocking on my door with a lifetime job offer at an obscene salary, he still would not change my vote.

In fact, I would detest him even more for trying to buy my vote because I know for sure which side of his face he’d be speaking from and what he will do if re-elected.

5. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2012 1:05 pm

More like the Captain comes out (pun intended) and says, "Look! A squirrel"

180 more days of squirrels!

6. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2012 1:21 pm

Of course the obscence salary would come with a 99% tax rate attached to it….

7. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2012 1:39 pm

The difference between conservatives and progressives:

Conservatives buy my vote with my money (letting me keep it)
    Progressives buy my vote with others' money.

8. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 3:05 pm

Sellout ! ;-)

9. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 3:11 pm

After 3 1/2 years of squirrels, what else would we expect ?

We`ve been told to "watch the other hand", knowing Zero and Co. have been distracting us since day one. The problem is, with all these distractions, both hands are blurs !

10. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 3:22 pm

I have serious doubts that the Panderer-in-Chief would ever confuse you for a reliable dem voter and donor, so no dream paycheck for you ! Sorry !

11. clu seatoe on May 10th, 2012 3:28 pm

No soup for you!

12. Obama bin Biden on May 10th, 2012 3:40 pm

Donald Young would be proud if he didn't die under mysterious circumstances.

13. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2012 3:55 pm

I'll sell my vote to the highest bidder!

Freedom is priceless, however, so the Progs will have to beat that.

14. Marshall_Will on May 10th, 2012 4:02 pm

Pete,

Lol, isn't it amazing how much more thought goes into Obie's sloganeering than say the DOE rubber stamping graft-gifts to Solyndra et al?

15. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2012 4:03 pm

Then again the dream paycheck would be more along the lines of the old Soviet saying. You continue to pretend to pay me and I will continue to pretend to work.

16. Marshall_Will on May 10th, 2012 4:08 pm

TS,

Good points. This clown's not in any position to turn away (1) single minority vote. In order for His "Class Warfare Matrix" to pan out, everyone that voted for him last time must do so again, to a man.

You could now say his base has officially collapsed.

17. Marshall_Will on May 10th, 2012 4:30 pm

jeffy,

One of the big misgivings I've had about the Conservative Platform is we've utterly failed to present our case in that regard. Back in the mid-90s I believe Congress did away with "Keogh Plans".

For those that recall, owners of these beauties wouldn't even CONSIDER a SEP/IRA etc. These were freaking *golden*. Depending on your profits and entity structure, you could basically shelter ALL of your income. The lucky ones were grandfathered in.

Evidently it was too good a thing and the plug was pulled. We've ALREADY given up much ground and made -major- concessions. And it wasn't until under GWB that IRA's were updated at all! ( $2,000 a year, right, where are you going to 'live', the 1970's? )

18. The Zoo Keeper on May 10th, 2012 4:30 pm

Obama's evolution apparently stops at Homo electus.

19. Truesoldier__ on May 10th, 2012 6:49 pm

Now the Dem's are talking about moving their convention out of NC due to the tradtional marriage vote and Obama coming out in favor of gay marriage. I think it is a great idea. They have already spent tons of money on the NC site, plenty of the convention goers have already bought plane tickets (that are most likely non-refundable) and it makes the Dems look even more inept and incomptent than they already look (which is pretty hard to do at this point).

So Obama coming out with his "personally evoloved beliefs" may end up costing Dem's millions.

20. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2012 7:22 pm

I have a co-worker that was complaining about another wearing his NRA hats. I asked him about why gun ownership was a problem, and he brought up flint-lock guns and the usual things. I told him that if he wants to change it (after going through the usual back and forth on interpreting it for the times), read Article V of the Constitution.

We had further discussions, and I was asked, "what makes you an expert on the Constitution?" and I fired back, "I read it."

The take away, and hopefully they'll (there were two) do it is Hillsdale College's Constitution 101 classes for them and their families.

One family at a time. I know this doesn't have to do with your post about the retirement plans, and at 43, I'd be happy to get a check for my "contributions" (taken at gunpoint) and put in a decent set of mutual funds, and the rest of my working years, the same with the 13.5% put in my name.

I'd retire a very rich man.

21. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 8:52 pm

I used to trade part-time work for my shop rent; a neat barter situation for a while. I used to joke, "Who do you think you are ? You don`t sign the checks that I don`t get !" :-)

22. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 9:10 pm

Since slavery to the giverment for the security of entitlements isn`t much of a trade, it would appear you`re just stuck with your dumb ol` freedom ! Does priceless mean; without price or beyond cost ?

23. Marshall_Will on May 10th, 2012 9:20 pm

And hopefully millions of votes! Of course anyone not wanting to pay for domestic partner's s_x change operation/s and fully on the GM bandwagon is considered a redneck cave dweller.

I really DO hope they pull out. Anything to add to their disorganized mess.

24. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 9:28 pm

Double (at least) entendre ?

25. SignPainterGuy on May 10th, 2012 9:29 pm

Obama-track soup would be pretty thin anyway !

26. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2012 11:16 pm

Beyond cost. It must be continuously be feed with the blood of patriots, and for that I am eternally grateful for the price they pay, and have paid.

27. jeffythequick on May 10th, 2012 11:17 pm

Don't ask…
    …and Zoo Keeper doesn't have to tell…
    ;)

28. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2012 12:23 am

Freedom is a hungry beast !

29. Jimbo on May 11th, 2012 12:40 am

I can only think of the children that, when gay "marriage" becomes legal, will be denied the natural right to have both a mother and a father.

But, the liberal progressives don't care. They don't care when they abort children in the womb or when they deny them their natural rights. Children are little more than accessories to fulfill Hallmark card dreams. Evil.

30. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2012 4:10 am

Good points. I cringe when I hear of gay or lesbian couples raising kids. They can`t multiply naturally, but they can implant the lifestyle in innocent children !

31. The Zoo Keeper on May 11th, 2012 2:16 pm

"Homo erectus" would have been a little too fitting.

32. The Zoo Keeper on May 11th, 2012 2:16 pm

Nailed it!

33. SignPainterGuy on May 11th, 2012 2:36 pm

Whole or in-part ? You just LIVE for the ambiguity, don`tcha ? ;-)

34. EssayJedii.com on September 9th, 2014 3:12 am

Thanks for the info. I got an assignment to write an essay on gay marriages. I know nothing about it so I asked a writing service to complete it for me. It turned out to be a very tricky and controvertial topic, I got interested. I could use the information from this post as well. So thanks for it.