In early March, our nation’s First Gay President™ graciously invited himself to deliver the commencement address to Barnard College, the all-women’s college in New York. The school accepted the President’s invitation to himself to speak there. The commencement is today.

If you’re in Manhattan and thinking about driving today, don’t:

President Barack Obama arrives in Manhattan on Monday for his first visit to the area since he voiced his support for same-sex marriage.

Obama will affirm his stance on the issue during his trip; first, at a commencement speech at Barnard College and then at a fundraiser in Chelsea sponsored by the LGBT Leadership Council. The event will be hosted by singer Ricky Martin.

New Yorkers can expect traffic-tie ups this afternoon during the president’s visit.

Obama will no doubt speak about the GOP’s “war on women.”

Fighting back against the Republican Party’s unfairness to women is such an important topic that Obama had to displace the woman who was originally scheduled to deliver the commencement.

Comments

22 Responses to “First Gay President™ to Deliver Commencement Address to College Where He Graciously Invited Himself to Speak”

1. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 12:04 pm

Gee what a surprise. the only thing bigger than the debt he has grown is his ego.

2. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 12:07 pm

Speaking of the 'war on women', I see the Dem's have been in overdrive over the weekend. There is NY Sen Gilibrand urging women to donate to a pro-choice group as a way to honor Mom and then there is the Newsweek contributor that finds the idea of a 'crown of motherhood' creepy and likens it to Stalin and Hitler.

3. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 12:08 pm

I also see that the whole First Gay President™ move has put 6-7 additional states into play this year:

4. clu seatoe on May 14th, 2012 12:10 pm

Chameleons (family Chamaeleonidae) are a distinctive and highly specialized clade of LIZARDS. They are distinguished by their zygodactylous feet, their separately mobile and stereoscopic eyes, their VERY LONG, highly modified, and RAPIDLY EXTRUDABLE and FORKED TONGUES, their swaying gait, the possession by many of a prehensile tail, CRESTS OR HORNS ON THEIR DISTINCTIVELY SHAPED HEADS, and the ABILITY OF SOME TO CHANGE COLOR. Colors include PINK, BLUE, RED, ORANGE, TURQUOISE, YELLOW, AND GREEN. Uniquely adapted for visual hunting, the approximately 160 species of chameleon have been introduced to Hawaii and range from AFRICA, across SOUTH ASIA, CALIFORNIA and FLORIDA, and are found in warm habitats that vary from rain forest to desert conditions.

5. Marshall_Will on May 14th, 2012 12:57 pm

"Gay marriage is suddenly the country’s hottest political talking point after Mr. Obama last week said he now personally supports…"

Ever YAWNED so hard, so violently you felt certain your jaw had been dislocated? I'm talking several minutes of acute pain!

Andrew Sullivan ( whom I hadn't known was ghey? ) and the balance of MSM lapdogs may want to make this a focal point but the rest of us couldn't care less.

6. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 1:32 pm

This has been nothing but two things and neither are good for Obama.

1st – It has been an attempt to distract voters fromt he economy.

2nd – It has been an attempt to shore up the gay/lesbian voter block that are none to happy with Obama for not going far enough with the repeal of DADT. The gay/lesbian community wanted Obama to give them the same benefits as married couples get on the Federal level (i.e. health insurance, tax deductions, etc.).

If Obama is having to trouble shoring up his voter base this late in the election cycle then what does it say about his election chances?

7. Marshall_Will on May 14th, 2012 2:24 pm

TS,

Yes, given the man never -stopped- being in campaign mode, it's later than he thinks. In fact, you could say with their Total Domination thru Nov. 2010 ( it's pretty much too late to do anything about it except strap a board to your azz and take the plunge? )

Ran a 5K on Saturday for the hospital and ( while fun ) after getting elbowed in the gut, caught in the pack on the first 3 turns and adding yardage circumventing moms w/ strollers, there simply isn't enough distance LEFT to make a good showing let alone "place well".

Since 5K = 3.1 Miles, it's not like you can soldier on and let fatigue and attrition do the dirty work for you either?

8. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 3:30 pm

I always wondered why they did not make the moms with strollers line up at the back of the starting area. It just becomes an obstacle course until you get through that gauntlet.

9. jeffythequick on May 14th, 2012 3:46 pm

Obama will no doubt speak about the GOP’s “war on women.”

No doubt it will just be "us girls"

10. jeffythequick on May 14th, 2012 3:46 pm

Sorry… couldn't resist that one… ;)

11. Marshall_Will on May 14th, 2012 3:48 pm

TS,

Being my first ( of hopefully many ) runs, I made every mistake you can think of! For some reason I thought it would be like the PT test. With frankly everyone on the same page ( namely wanting to get it OVER with )

As much social as 'athletic' it's hard to gauge off total strangers. In a sqdn. you KNOW what kind of times your buddies run and where you'll find yourself at marks. And JFTR ( I got PASSED by a few moms w/ strollers! )

12. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 4:18 pm

I can honestly say I don't miss the madatory fun runs from my time in the service. The runs themselves were not so bad, but the dog and pony shows before and after were the worst.

Nowadays I do more walking than running. Knees wont take the impact anymore and I have a loss off any feeling in my upper left thigh from a major surgery back in 2006.

13. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2012 4:22 pm

Ha haa; I`ve seen some rather sporty Moms running behind those big three-wheeled racing strollers. They`re dangerous on the city sidewalks; should be given their own street lane. The kids are grinning so big, they`re creating wind resistance !

14. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2012 4:25 pm

:-0 Part of clu`s chameleon idea ?

15. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah, but has the NYT or Newsweek declared any of the GAY ? Have any Chameleons invaded NE colleges and ingratiated themselves at the speaker`s podium ? ;-)

16. Marshall_Will on May 14th, 2012 4:34 pm

No secret I'm all about the kids. Better fumbling around them etc. than drugs/internet smut or worse yet, gaming..!

The reason I've been so supportive and involved in the PT program is it's about the only remaining obstacle between the military and complete unionization. Just look around any Fed Gov. breakroom to see what I mean?

TS, I went thru that too and what really helped me was a "tens unit" which induces mild to relaxing electro shock therapy to the affected area. Not as fun as applying it to a Prog's temples/testicles but it worked. Especially in nerve regeneration.

17. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 4:39 pm

Ill have to give it a try. I would love to get back to running as I have such beautiful trails along the lake to run. In the meantime I keep up with my walks and other exercises to keep the pounds off and to keep from ending up looking like the rest of the workers in the Fed Gov breakroom here in my office….

18. Marshall_Will on May 14th, 2012 4:51 pm

You've gotta' hear this one, one of the NCO's I went to tech school w/ worked FT at the big DLA Center in OH. One of his co-workers weighed in @ 400 lbs. Easy.

From his HC designated parking spot it took he and his oxygen bottle 20 mins. to get in the bldg. and to his desk. But don't worry, he's totally overed by TriCare.

Yeah in my case it was an impinged nerve in my elbow ( funny bone ) after a car accident. The tens unit allowed me to evade atrophy in my pinky and be the total badd azz guitar player I am today. Even at that, it's only 2/3rds the diameter of my right pinky.

19. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 5:09 pm

When I was still in the Army as a mechanic we had a civi that worked with us. This guy was a realy good mechanic, but we had to jack up the Humvee for him just so he could get underneath and change the oil.

20. Barb Chansky on May 14th, 2012 6:47 pm

I actually had to reassure my mom and promise her not to go into the city today – I think she knows how hard I have to battle the temptation to spit at this pathetic excuse of a human being, never mind President of our great country.

21. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 7:17 pm

So is he doing his typical 'im going through town in the middle of rush hour just because I can' routine?

22. Barb Chansky on May 15th, 2012 8:56 pm