I’d forgotten Ron Paul was still even in the race:

Ron Paul won’t campaign in any more primaries, his campaign announced Monday afternoon.

A letter sent from Paul to supporters promised to continue the battle for delegates at state party conventions in order to try to influence the party’s platform, but said the campaign will no longer try to win delegates in new states — an uphill battle now that Mitt Romney is the presumed nominee and most states have gone to a winner-take-all system of delegate apportionment.

“We will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted,” Paul said in the letter. “Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have.”

It’s okay — this way he’ll get a jump on everybody else for 2016. The real world can’t keep down a man who rocks internet-polls like this forever:

At least his campaign stayed around long enough to inspire this “bad lip reading” clip.

Comments

39 Responses to “Ron Paul Ends 2012 Campaign in Order to Better Focus on 2016 Campaign”

1. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 5:20 pm

The only question I have is will he support Romney or will he be like some of his supporters were over the weekend and go to events to boo Romney's son?

I do believe that Paul should be included in dialogue talking about fiscal issues and could help play a role in shapping that side of the house in the future. But if his supporters keep acting like that it will only hurt Paul in the end.

2. Marshall_Will on May 14th, 2012 5:38 pm

"The real world can’t keep down a man who rocks internet-polls like this forever:"

What the..? It's Doug… it's a Monday!

Unfortunately for Bammie & LSM, as each hopeful drops out, rather than "allowing them to focus on a singular candidate" you're just taking away targets. No more being able to hammer on Newt's swinging ways, Santorum's…. being a Catholic or RP's flighty statements!

3. Nick on May 14th, 2012 5:41 pm

Doug, I think you should post a link to the whole message from his campaign. The delegate battle continues. Who cares about the popularity votes? http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2012/05/14/ron-paul-st

The hard delegate count: http://thereal2012delegatecount.com/

4. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 7:07 pm

And if RP were to try to stage a delegate coup after the first round of votes I think it would spell much larger problems not only for RP, but for the country as voters would feel betrayed which would lead to an Obama victory in November.

If RP wants to use his delegate count to have a voice at the convention and to push fiscal Conservatism then that is constructive, anything else would just be plain destructive.

5. Nick on May 14th, 2012 7:52 pm

The last time I checked, the Republicans lost to Obama when sending a moderate to challenge him. And even if Romney does pull out a win, what exactly is going to change?

6. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 8:03 pm

More than if Obama wins. Romney is not my first or even second choice, but he is a far cry better than Obama.

IF RP were to pull off a coup at the convention and win the nomination how exactly do you suppose he will be trusted enough to get the votes in the general election? Many voters will see it as some shady business going on especially when you have both Santorum and Newt pledging their support. Now I know that does not mean that their delegates have to go to Romney, but I am talking about appearances and appearances are everything in the world of politics like it or not.

I think you will find that RP will play it smart and use the delgates he has to ensure that he has a prime time speech at the convention as well as a seat at the policy table so as he can put forth his ideas and have some clout in which to push those ideas. By doing so he can hold far more sway over the proceedings without causing a disaster in November (and if he can get his fiscal policies in play it would only help everyone in the longrun).

7. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 8:08 pm

So what would change if RP were elected? He is one man and would need the House and Senate to back him unless he is going to pull an Obama and shred the Constitution further via the EO.

8. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2012 9:50 pm

I have to wonder where that "Southern Rep. Pres. Debate" chart came from; Drudge after a debate ? Their polls allowed repeat voting and the Paulistas always swarmed them. RP always won, even after his poorest performances.

RP scares me concerning what he`ll do at and after the Convention; will he seek a brokered convention ? Stay in and take away votes from Mitt and give it to Obama ? (I wonder how Libertarian Gary Johnson will perform in the general for the same reason) Or will RP do as many of my fellow commenters hope, just push for some say at the table ? I`m not feeling much confidence here !

9. Truesoldier__ on May 14th, 2012 11:07 pm

The good thing is that if he does not register as an independent before the election it would be too late to get his name on the ballot. The worst that could be done at that point is a write in candidacy and I doubt that he has the money to do that effectively on a nation wide scale.

10. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2012 11:43 pm

I know next to nothing about Johnson, I like next to nothing about RP and trust him very little and his supporters are beyond nuts and appear not at all willing to play the game to get our nominee elected and to beat Obama. Those nuts are likely either to vote RP regardless, vote for Johnson or not at all; maybe even something REALLY unhelpful, but we can pretty much count on them NOT to vote for Mitt.

11. clu seatoe on May 15th, 2012 12:59 am

At first I was sort of embarrassed for him while listening to him but then I thought, he’s just a ditzy old man who came out from behind his shopping cart on the street corner.

Then I started thinking, I guess it better to be in Ron’s mellow orbit than to be a bitter, hateful old man with a busted ego and full of rage and hate because they’ve been yanked from their way-too-comfortable federal teat like a Dickey Lugar, an Arlen Spector or an Orrin Hatch.

An old man’s life interrupted.

12. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 1:34 am

I forgot to mention the vid., it was great. I can`t support RP even if he does haunt my prostate ! ;-)

13. Marshall_Will on May 15th, 2012 1:38 am

Nick,

No disrespect, but to say Juan McLame was a 'moderate' is a disservice to spineless moooooderates everywhere. The GOP Rino Machine sent a backsliding, reach across the aisle ( or around ) appeaser.

I can't tell you how many cons. friends I have that felt JM intentionally ( or was INDUCED ) to throw the race. Something we'll never be able to prove/disprove. In the end, res ipsa loquitor..!

14. clu seatoe on May 15th, 2012 1:48 am

Ahh, we can go forever without hearing those three little words.

15. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 3:22 am

He hee ! I saved the vid for the links to more of the BLS vids at the end. It`s amazing how well the "modified" text fits the lips.

16. jeffythequick on May 15th, 2012 10:50 am

O/T, but this is rich…

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ

Then read this… (heck, read it while listening to the video above) http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/0

I was suffering from an irony deficiency, and this took care of it.

17. jeffythequick on May 15th, 2012 11:03 am

Nick, I went to the Republican caucuses here in Shohomish County, WA, and I said that I was for Ron Paul, and the others wanted Romney. I was chosen as the delegate, and I promised that I would vote for Romney on the first ballot to honor my precinct's choice (it was 3-1), but I asked if I could support whom I thought was the best fit after that, and they were OK with that. But when I brought up Ron Paul, I got (get this), "I remember Goldwater, and I don't want to get beaten again."

I brought up:
    Nixon ran as a conservative in 68, and won.
    Nixon ran as a conservative in 72, and won.
    Ford ran as a moderate, and lost in 76
    Reagan ran as a conservative and won in 80 and 84.
    Bush 41 ran as a conservative (stay the course) and won in 88, governed as a liberal (no new taxes) and lost in 92.
    Dole… I'm trying to figure out how he could run as a conservative in 96.
    Bush "compassionate conservative" won in 2000, and almost lost in 2004
    John "Reach across the aisle" McCain lost in 2008, and the only time he was up above Obama was a brief time after he picked Palin, and then dropped to 2nd place after putting her in the closet.

I do hope Romney goes conservative, especially picking SCOTUS judges. That is one good thing about Bush 41: Clarence Thomas.

18. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 12:06 pm

The sad thing is that the RP supporters do have something to offer to the Conservative platform (the fiscal side of things); yet they want an all or nothing approach and when they are rejected at the ballot box they start talking about using parlimentary tricks of a delegate coup at the convention to try to take away what the voters intended.

I did not vote for Romney at my caucaus, but Romney won fair and square. I can live with it even if I do not like it and will try even harder next time to see my choice victorious.

19. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 12:13 pm

My question is if they voted for Romney why not pick a Romney person as the delegate. That seems a bit silly to me to pick a delegate that openly supports someone other than the person that was agreed upon at the caucaus. I have heard in some states that the delegates were hiding who they supported, so I am glad that you were honest about whom you truly support.

Quick question. If your guy lost why would you even put your name out their as a delegate? I am truly curious about this.The people who selected you seemed to have a problem with the idea that you could vote for RP in the second round, so why even select you when you were open and honest about it (rhetorical question btw)?

20. Nick on May 15th, 2012 12:28 pm

As Commander-In-Chief, he could do quite a lot with the military. I suspect he'd start rolling back our footprint on day 1.

Close Guantanamo.

Pardon non-violent prisoners.

Sign executive order to allow the US Treasury to issue silver and gold as legal currency.

Nominate a Fed Chair.

Nominate conservative Supremes.

Veto, veto, veto. Lobbyist don't even bother knocking on his door, why would congress bother writing up legislation that's definitely going to get vetoed?

It's not going to happen though, he doesn't have the Goldman Sachs and the like buying favors and he doesn't have the support of the MSM (or Doug). Like some here are aware, it appears he simply wants to promote pure liberty, and every delegate this campaign gets equals more influence at Tampa. Every committeeman and committeewoman elected at the local levels will be there next go around as well. Maybe after 8 years of Obama or the feeling of betrayal after 4 years of Romney will finally wake us up. Probably too late though.

21. Nick on May 15th, 2012 12:41 pm

The tricks are coming from the establishment. Many examples at the bottom of this article: http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/ron-paul

Watch 2:22: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anWsU93fFsk&fe

But the Republican Party isn't a government entity, they're free to make the rules up as they go. And that's how it's been playing out throughout the entire process thus far.

22. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 1:48 pm

GITMO has been a good thing and lead to a lot of intelligence gathering. Our involvement in the ME has been and will continue to be regardless of whether we are there or here. RP is naive when it comes to dealing with the ME. I have spent a lot of time over there and talked to many of the locals. If we disengage from the war on terror without winning it will only encourage them (just look at Somalia for historical proof). The only thing that the islamo terrorists understand and respect is an enemy that is willing to fight (just ask Thomas Jefferson about how he dealt with the Barbary Pirates.)____So he would pardon criminals just because they are non-violent. Well then why not just make any non-violent crime no longer a crime? ____So he will pull an Obama and start in with the EO's, but I thought that was part of Obama shredding the Constitution. ____If he veto's everything he would end up a one term President that did not accomplish anything.____There are plenty of areas that we can agree on and some areas that we will never agree on. The point is we should work together on the areas that we do agree on for now and continue to discuss the areas we disagree on.

23. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 1:50 pm

Yeah cause I am supposed to believe a RP blog. Hey maybe I should stop by the Al Qaeda website next so I can see proof that Ameica is the great satan.

Sorry, but it just keeps coming across to me as some RP supporters are sore loosers. Maybe it is just me, but that how it seems.

24. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 2:59 pm

Ditto ! And that`s what scares me; RP supporters would not just get mad, take their ball and go home; they`d insist on causing damage and pitching a hissy fit `cause they aren`t taken seriously ! How CAN I take them seriously when they fail to see this is a war against the left AND islamists, not just a battle against a squish !

25. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 3:36 pm

If you watched the televised Pres. Debates, did you hear who RP cited as his sources for forming his foreign policy plans / ideas ? Madeleine Albright, Janet Reno, Ban K. Moon, other UN officials and I think I remember him citing Jimmah Cahtuh as well. Those are ALL people who conservatives consider to be not only kooks, but outright crooks …. LIBERAL, America-Hating crooks !

26. jeffythequick on May 15th, 2012 4:43 pm

Two would be on vacation when the county caucuses took place, and the other guy just wanted to get in the process.

There were some RP supporters that were stealthing their way in, but I won't do that. Too much chicanery and trickery make the political process akin to VanBuren Street in Phoenix.

That said, if there wasn't a clear winner in the first round, I asked for permission to be able to change my vote, and it was granted by the people in my precinct. I illustrated the issue with their reaction to RP to bring up the point about an electio 48 years ago, and people are still cringing from it. I think the couple that brought it up weren't even alive (or they were in diapers) at the time.

27. jeffythequick on May 15th, 2012 4:45 pm

This RP supporter won't.

But then again, in meetings at work, I bring up unpopular but factual ideas, and if I get outvoted, I go along with the team. I state my objections civilly, and backed up by evidence. It's called:

Disagree, but comply. It's the opposite of the OWS crowd, which is disagree, and poop on the cop's car.

28. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 7:33 pm

An RP presidency scares me. From his comments in the debates (I rely only on his own words), he does not understand the dangers of islam to the world and especially us, he does not understand that the Iranian leadership WANTS WWIII and would like to hasten its start, he may weaken our military to the point that we could not defend ourselves …. anywhere.

RP would be great as Head of the President`s Special Committee on Gooberment Agency and Dept. Audits and Closures, but keep him away from Nat`l Defense / Security and Foreign Policy !

RP has and does bring interesting and valuable points to the table, but he leaves too much OFF the table !

As level-headed as you prove yourself to be, I can`t help but be surprised you`d be an RP supporter !

29. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for the update. Makes perfect sense now and again thanks for your honesty about whom you really support when putting your name in as a delegate. Like you said, when there is too much chicanery and trickery going on it just undermines the process.

30. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 9:26 pm

If RP had more supportes like you, he might just be able to sway more people to his cause. It is sad to see that the sterortyypical RP supporters are so boisterous as to drown out the ones that you can have an honest and open debate with.

RP does have some good ideas that deserve a second look (his fiscal policy for certain would be great) and could add to the debate, but when some of the supporters act they way they do (for example trying to shout down Mitt Romney's son at Mitt Romney ralley) it drives people away.

31. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 10:27 pm

Dittos !

32. jeffythequick on May 16th, 2012 10:49 am

;-)

I guess great minds think alike!

33. Nick on May 16th, 2012 1:44 pm

Never heard those, but I did catch the Golden Rule.

34. SignPainterGuy on May 16th, 2012 3:22 pm

Aah yes, the Golden Rule; the Twelfth Commandment – turn all four cheeks and wait till your enemies are done doing unto you before you call together your best advisers to think about what you might do to defend yourself, as per Ron Paul !

35. Nick on May 16th, 2012 6:11 pm

Are you talking about the chicanery and trickery posted by a senior adviser of the RP campaign here: http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/ron-paul

The very top priority of the RP campaign at this point, even beyond promoting liberty, is playing by the rules and displaying respect and decorum. If some knucklehead steps out of line, the MSM will surely pick it up.

36. jeffythequick on May 16th, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes, his foreign policy scares me, but we don't elect a dictator, and I would hope that he would restore the Constitutional Power back to the Congress. You know, they get to declare war. They get to make the laws, and not some commission they offload legislation to…

I think that would be a great position for him, or his son as VP.

Thank you for the compliment, and you all are the reason I am here, and to provide lucid push-back to my crazier points.

37. jeffythequick on May 16th, 2012 6:47 pm

TS, I agree with you on the loonies. Especially when they call in to talk radio programs. As far as RP's answers in debates, they are cringe-worthy, but here's my rebuttal to that:

It'd be nice to have a person in the White House that isn't a central figure to every peep and bathroom trip that people make. The lionization of the Presidency is an abomination to the Constitution. (OK, that last sentence sounded a little 'classic RP supporterish')

38. SignPainterGuy on May 16th, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, we certainly HOPE we don`t elect a dictator. Our current pRes. seems to THINK we did !

The strongest, most feared and respected Pres. in my 59 years was Ronaldus Magnus, who "trusted, but verified", rebuilt our military capability to the point that our worst and most feared enemy of the time revealed just how weak they really were. He made a few mistakes, asserted himself well, but was never, that I recall, labelled a dictator – by us !

The USA has been called upon to and has graciously accepted the mantle of "The World`s Protector" ….. and as upsetting, expensive in money and lives and dividing as that has been, I personally would have it no other way; considering the state of the world and the alternatives we face.

Ron Paul would go too far; or as Obama has weakened our military, RP would not go far enough to rebuild and restore our commitment to our allies.

39. SignPainterGuy on May 16th, 2012 9:12 pm