When I write that President Obama has “made history,” I’m not referring to this obvious historic first or even the that that Obama is the first president to ever to run up the debt over $5 trillion on his watch. Those things are indeed historic, but the history that’s being made here is in the very literal sense:

The Heritage Foundation’s Rory Cooper tweeted that Obama had casually dropped his own name into Ronald Reagan’s official biography on www.whitehouse.gov, claiming credit for taking up the mantle of Reagan’s tax reform advocacy with his “Buffett Rule” gimmick. My first thought was, he must be joking. But he wasn’t — it turns out Obama has added bullet points bragging about his own accomplishments to the biographical sketches of every single U.S. president since Calvin Coolidge (except, for some reason, Gerald Ford).

Check it out for yourself on the “learn more about each president” page at WhiteHouse.gov. Here’s one example from the Calvin Coolidge page:

On Feb. 22, 1924 Calvin Coolidge became the first president to make a public radio address to the American people. President Coolidge later helped create the Federal Radio Commission, which has now evolved to become the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). President Obama became the first president to hold virtual gatherings and town halls using Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, etc.

The Twitterverse finds this extremely mock-worthy, and rightly so.

In the Truman bio, the administration’s historians forgot to mention Obama’s role in the liberation of the Philippines during World War II, but I’m sure they’ll get around to it:

Comments

22 Responses to “President Obama Makes History”

1. Joe Redfield on May 15th, 2012 3:15 pm

When they get around to updating the Presidential bios prior to Coolidge I'm sure we'll find out that BO also freed the slaves.

2. clu seatoe on May 15th, 2012 3:44 pm

Such ridiculous and arrogantly unacceptable nonsense can and should be summarily remove by the next administration.

3. clu seatoe on May 15th, 2012 3:48 pm

I hope that someone has been assigned to keep track of all the unsightly graffiti that these people are leaving on the annals of the United States Government.

They’re like dogs that feel they have to lift their leg on every tree, bush, and blade of grass.

4. Marshall_Will on May 15th, 2012 3:49 pm

Clu,

We hope so. SPG has cancelled bulk shipments of Eye Bleach and gotten on the dispatcher to only order Sun-glistened Pec Remover (TM) from here on out.

Since my heart has never gone far from there, I'd like to have my ashes scattered at the spot where McArthur came ashore. Yes, seriously. Now will someone please get that A-corn-hole out of the fricken' picture!

5. backwoodsconsr on May 15th, 2012 4:01 pm

Don't know much about history.
    Don't know much biology.
    But I do know that I love me…

6. jeffythequick on May 15th, 2012 4:18 pm

This is the best comment I saw on that site, from MK Daspit: It is AWESOME!…

"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning-the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

By the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on the seventh day He rested. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it He rested from all the work of creating that He had done. President Obama saw this and said "I was totally going to do it in 5 days and get in two days of golf, but whatever."

7. Granny55 on May 15th, 2012 5:13 pm

1000 Likes!!!

8. Granny55 on May 15th, 2012 5:15 pm

OMG – Sorry Backwoods – this one takes the cake!!!!

I just love the quick wit of conservatives!!!

9. jeffythequick on May 15th, 2012 5:20 pm

It's because it takes a brain to create and understand wit, and MK Daspit won the day on that one.

10. backwoodsconsr on May 15th, 2012 5:21 pm

Doug's place is a magnet for it. That's why I hang out here so much.

11. backwoodsconsr on May 15th, 2012 5:39 pm

A bit OT, but that reminded me of this:

12. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 7:04 pm

How did you know ? Did you hack my `puter ? Is that why it has been running slow today ? ;-)

13. Reaganite Republican on May 15th, 2012 8:56 pm

SO sick of this pompous ass and his self-gratifying fantasy world

We need to exile himt to some volcano in the Pacific

14. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 9:28 pm

This is just way too 1984. What is scary is how many of the masses will believe it.

15. Truesoldier__ on May 15th, 2012 10:39 pm

The volcano would spit him out.

16. SignPainterGuy on May 15th, 2012 11:03 pm

Indeed it would ….. and spit and spit and ….

17. jeffythequick on May 16th, 2012 12:37 am

I think the word you're looking for is "vomit"

18. jeffythequick on May 16th, 2012 12:40 am

On Bush-43's page:

In 2002, President George W. Bush’s State of the Union was the first to be live broadcast on the Internet. In 2011 and 2012, President Obama’s State of the Union speeches were available in an enhanced live stream version that featured infographics, charts and data side-by-side in real time with the President’s speech.

19. SignPainterGuy on May 16th, 2012 1:09 am

Actually, in my own personal parlance, that would be gommit !

20. SignPainterGuy on May 16th, 2012 1:15 am

Has anyone checked Clinton`s page for Obama`s claim that everything is even more about me, Me, ME !?!?!?

21. jeffythequick on May 16th, 2012 10:42 am

I was just re-reading it*, and it looks like the State of the Union speech was… a campaign speech! If my displeasure at him couldn't grow deeper, his glomming on to the two greatest presidents** of the 20th century is appalling.

*his bullet point
    **Coolidge and Reagan

22. jeffythequick on May 17th, 2012 3:10 am

Sometime between 1801 and 1809, Jefferson got it…

When Jefferson assumed the Presidency, the crisis in France had passed. He slashed Army and Navy expenditures, cut the budget, eliminated the tax on whiskey so unpopular in the West, yet reduced the national debt by a third.

Lowered taxes and spending, and holy frijoles! The DEBT went down by a third. Not the deficit, but the debt. Harding and Coolidge got it, why can't the smartest man alive, ever get it? It's on the whitehouse.gov site that hasn't gotten bullet pointed yet, under Jefferson.