Yesterday, Mitt Romney, as expected, won the Kentucky and Arkansas GOP presidential primaries:

Mitt Romney won the Republican primary in Kentucky on Tuesday, a victory that puts him within striking distance of clinching the Republican presidential nomination.

CBS News projects that Romney will, as expected, also win Tuesday’s GOP primary in Arkansas.

With nearly all precincts reporting in Kentucky, Romney had 67 percent of the vote. Ron Paul was in second place with 13 percent, below the 15 percent threshold he needed to win delegates in the state.

On the Democrat side, President Obama faced a formidable primary challenge in Kentucky from a candidate named Uncommitted:

President Obama lost more than 40 percent of the vote in Tuesday’s Kentucky Democratic primary to the “uncommitted” option — the latest example of the incumbent president failing to win votes in an uncompetitive primary.

With 99 percent of precincts reporting in the Bluegrass State, Obama led “uncommitted” just 58 percent to 42 percent. Obama trailed in more than 60 Kentucky counties.

It was just the latest episode of the president taking less than 60 percent of the vote in a primary this year.

He ceded 41 percent of the vote in West Virginia to an incarcerated man in Texas named Keith Judd, and in Oklahoma, Obama lost several counties and won just 57 percent of the vote.

In the Arkansas Democrat primary, Obama leads Democrat challenger John Wolf by a similar margin (about 58-42 as it stands now).

If Obama had faced a primary challenge from a Democrat who actually has name recognition he could have very well already lost two or three primaries. Biden’s probably already afraid that “Uncommitted” will replace him on the ticket.

Also, in a Kentucky congressional primary race, the Tea Party has scored another win:

Tea Party-backed Republican Thomas Massie won a hotly contested House primary in Kentucky on Tuesday, edging out an establishment candidate and putting him on an almost certain path to election in November.

With 74 percent of precincts reporting, Massie took 45 percent of the vote, with state Rep. Alecia Webb-Edgington (R) taking second with 30 percent. Republican Gary Moore, an elected county official, came in third with 17 percent.

Massie, also a county official, had been endorsed by Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and the Club for Growth. Much of the establishment support had lined up behind Webb-Edgington, while social conservatives were rallying behind Moore.

All three were considered relative newcomers to the Kentucky political scene.

Massie heads into the general election in solid shape to replace retiring Rep. Geoff David (R-Ky.). The district leans heavily Republican, and Democrats have not indicated they intend to contest the seat.

Last but not least, somewhat of a disappointment: Sarah Palin has endorsed Orrin Hatch.

Comments

34 Responses to “Romney wins Kentucky, Arkansas primaries; Obama edges out ‘Uncommitted’ and John Wolf respectively”

1. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 10:08 am

Look for Biden to explain that "Uncommitted" means not yet confined to a mental institution.

2. jeffythequick on May 23rd, 2012 10:40 am

So they were voting for him?
    ;)

3. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 10:43 am

Ironically, they were voting for the people who still vote for Obama.

4. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 11:09 am

Precisely why it's so alarming to watch Rovian Rino's bust out the old 'trustworthy' Electoral Map and do their generic and customary analysis.

Clearly these guys don't get it. Being an out of work contractor/builder/real estate developer/carpenter/drywall-installer/plumber/electrician/mortgage broker/realtor/hairdresser/dog groomer and losing your: livlihood/business/car/house/SPOUSE ( kinda' supercedes the way you voted *Four* freaking years ago? )

5. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 11:21 am

But the Democrats are all about helping the poor. Haven't you heard?

6. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 11:37 am

I'm sorry? Did you say KEEPING people poor ( and making MORE of them? )

This is, in spite of Sarah's -obvious- misstep, fantastic news! More Tea Party traction and more importantly, 40% of voters bothered to show up and say, they're just not happy. That isn't complacency, it's activism!

Just loving this.

7. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 12:23 pm

I keep reading Thomas Sowell's books and learning more and more about the differences between politicians' words, their motivations, and the actual results of the policies they enact. I just finished reading Sowell's book "The Housing Boom And Bust." It should be required reading for anyone who believes that the credit crisis was caused by banks and mortgage companies merrily doing their thing in a free market that had no government oversight or intervention.

8. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 1:23 pm

You've piqued out interest ( did Maxine Waters name come up? ) Probably should have written my OWN book on the housing bubble but many of us were so busy *covering* it and watching the train wreck unfold, we never took the time to go back.

9. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 1:34 pm

"I know you mentioned wanting to research and read more while blogging less and it can't help but make you a more informed blogger!"

Is that directed at me? If so, I think you have me confused with someone else. The only blog I have is one that posts photos and writeups of my hiking trips. I don't link to it because it uses my real name. I don't have any kind of political blog.

10. clu seatoe on May 23rd, 2012 1:53 pm

Sen. Orrin Hatch says of FreedomWorks and other groups trying to take away his Senate seat: "These people are not conservatives. … They're radical libertarians and I'm doggone offended by it."

Then Hatch, a former boxer, turns combative. "I despise these people, and I'm not the guy you come in and dump on without getting punched in the mouth."

11. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 2:26 pm

Meant 'posting' I should have said. Even intelligent posting is an incredible investment in time. R-e-a-d-i-n-g all the pertinent links, Wiki this, Google that.

Making durned sure you have your bases covered before weighing in? Sometimes you wonder if some of that time might be better spent delving into topic specifics vice the tit-for-tat? IMHO

12. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 2:27 pm

Ruh-roh someone sounds desperate. Bring it on!

13. jeffythequick on May 23rd, 2012 2:49 pm

A former boxer?

I thought he was a full of Shih-Tzu.

But then, I may have mistaken that condition for the President.

14. clu seatoe on May 23rd, 2012 2:56 pm

The barnacles really get testy when the people try to scrape ‘em off. Witness Dinky Lugar's rampage.

15. jeffythequick on May 23rd, 2012 2:58 pm

A testy barnacle with no testes?

Yep, that about sums it up!
    ;)

16. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 3:29 pm

Great stuff guys !

Sarah giving her endorsement to Hatch has me scratching my head.

17. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 3:35 pm

Yeah, I remember in the early 2000`s the left screaming that there were no regulators. I guess in excess of 270 = NONE ! The regulators looked the other way while the bankers were locked in a room and ordered to agree to the loan policies that sunk the economy, under threat of fed audits.

18. jeffythequick on May 23rd, 2012 3:37 pm

O/T: Romney ingratiates himself to Tea Partiers:

His stock is going up!

19. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 3:52 pm

Sowell goes into a lot of detail of the results of efforts by politicians to provide "affordable housing". He also discusses the strong arm tactics of the government to coerce the bankers into giving the Congress critters what they wanted, and how misguided the whole effort was to begin with.

20. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 4:04 pm

Uh…. still not sure. We have plenty of Hispanic TP members here in Oregon, but I'm not sure when Mitt is speaking to the Latino Coalition he's speaking -directly- to a TP demographic?

Assuring words no doubt but as Pasadena Phil likes to note, ( Romney has 'yet' to ask for The Conservative vote? ) and I didn't see it in the article either…

21. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 4:04 pm

Dr. Sowell explains it / shucks it down to the cob (as Paul Harvey used to say). I also think he recognized Greenspan as less than the financial wizard he was given up to be, as well as the Bernanke !

Does he name Gorelick, Dodd, Frank, Raines and the many others as culpable ?

22. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 4:12 pm

Cool beans !

I saw in my local paper this morning that Amendment One, the Marriage Act that passed in NC 2-1, has now been OFFICIALLY ADDED to the State Constitution, but libs are STILL up in the air about it , still protesting and demonstrating, and wanting to debate it ……. some more !

Rs in the state legislature are pushing the elimination of teacher tenure. I hope they are successful so we can fire some of the entrenched, crappy, closed-minded idiots like the screamer in the news the last few days who threatened the kid for "disrespecting the pRes." ! She was unaware that Zero had said he himself was a school bully in his own book !

23. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 4:31 pm

Walking it back. Walking it back. Taking it back a little at a time.

This will be like arm wrestling. Tough to beat a foe -until- you reach that all critical angle. Sure there's plenty of sweatin' & gruntin' to go but SELDOM do you see an opponent make a comeback from there.

Let, The Stranglehold begin.

24. clu seatoe on May 23rd, 2012 5:24 pm

Here’s hoping they can do it. The next thing is this ridiculous nonsense of “suspended with pay,”

Does anybody know if there is another profession that gives time off (sabbatical) up to a year or more and IF you come back your job is waiting and there’s no loss of pay or seniority in the roster or the classroom?

Most places won’t even do that for the military person that is protecting and defending their country. I’ve even heard of reservists losing their jobs or places on the roster.

25. Dexter_Alarius on May 23rd, 2012 5:31 pm

I think Obama would have been in real trouble if those ballots had as a choice "None of the Above".

26. Marshall_Will on May 23rd, 2012 5:47 pm

Clu,

As a Reservist I can def. attest to that. The only time I see where it isn't an issue is when they're attached to a civilian hospital. They're so desperate they'll always have a job.

Elsewhere.., forget it. Have to say it's gotten somewhat better but by and large they avoid it by taking self-employed Reservists first.

27. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 5:49 pm

I don't recall seeing Gorelick, but Dodd, Frank, and a few others were mentioned, as well as G. W. Bush for making things worse with his "compassionate conservatism."

28. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 6:41 pm

Aah yes, that "Compassionate Conservatism" ! Another phrase for "cross-aisle reaching" and "going along to get along" and "giving in to the dims` demands" !

The Rs didn`t help themselves when, seeing the dims giving loans to blacks that they knew wouldn`t be paid back, they jumped on the free-money bandwagon and started offering the same types of loans to immigrants ….

29. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 6:44 pm

It was already state legislative law, it`s now state constitutional law, but the libs and gay marriage / special rights for gays crowd doesn`t see it as "Iron Clad" enough yet ! It has been predicted that the argument will again reach fever pitch in about 10 years !

30. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 6:54 pm

The paper mill here and a few other bizs held jobs open for service members years back, but I`ve lost contact with the service folk I knew and few old bizs are still in biz or under the same owners, so I don`t know if it continues now or not. I thought it a great thing and oh so patriotic ! Now, with profit margins so close to the bone, it`s harder to do !

"….self-employed reservists first." That makes sense on many levels, but in my case, I work alone and if I`m sick, the biz doesn`t exist; it can be next to impossible to restart a biz that`s been "dormant" for a year`s deployment. Another biz can take away your clientele in that time ! War is hell in so many ways !

31. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 6:58 pm

How ironical, pRes. "All of the Above" losing out to "None of the Above" ! Heh !

32. backwoodsconsr on May 23rd, 2012 7:20 pm

The Great Uniter!

33. jeffythequick on May 23rd, 2012 7:30 pm

Uniting US by dividing US!

34. SignPainterGuy on May 23rd, 2012 7:46 pm

Yep, uniting us all in the spirit of "dis-unity" !