From the “You gotta be shittin’ me” file: Osama Bin Laden kills thousands of Americans, a Pakistani doctor helps the U.S. find him, Pakistan convicts the doctor of treason and sends him to prison for 33 years, and we’re still going to send Pakistan $767 million this year?

Apparently that’s the case:

Congressmen on the powerful Senate appropriations committee voted to cut $1 million from the $800 million annual budget for each of the 33 years that Dr Shakeel Afridi has been told he must serve in jail for working with a foreign intelligence agency.

Dr Afridi set up a fake vaccination campaign in Abbottabad in an attempt to obtain blood samples from bin Laden’s family, as the CIA tried to confirm the al-Qaeda chief’s presence in a nearby villa.

Why are we sending them anything? “Anti-terror ally”? Please. And does anybody honestly think the Pakistani government didn’t know Bin Laden was living there? Osama was probably paying top level Pakistani officials boku “don’t tell anybody I’m here” bucks and now they’re taking it out on the doctor for giving him up. Just a theory.

Meanwhile, Rep. Peter King is trying to find out if the Obama administration disclosed the identity of the Pakistani doctor who helped us. If they had anything to do with it, there’s no better way to ensure that nobody helps U.S. intelligence ever again.

Rick Perry was right:

Comments

21 Responses to “Pakistan Sentences Doc to Prison for Helping Find Bin Laden and the U.S. Only Cuts Four Percent of Their Aid?”

1. clu seatoe on May 25th, 2012 11:19 am

I would say remove the word “administration” from the final paragraph and you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Fits so squarely into the low-life kind of thing that Zero would do like a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

2. Doug on May 25th, 2012 12:17 pm

But… I don't get what the doctor could have done. Wasn't this all Obama's "gutsy call" operation from start to finish?

A "gutsy call" would be to end all aid to Pakistan, but that ain't happening.

3. Marshall_Will on May 25th, 2012 1:18 pm

Was any of this really necessary? You've got intel that basically brings you to his doorstep!

But… you need to implicate a harmless -civilian- into the operation? Why didn't you have the Pink Panther hand OBL a tophat with bomb under it? However, for his courage and conviction, this guy should be sipping Mai Tai's not facing 33 years of abject torture.

Oh and an entire impoverished community is – (1) physician. Which Obie can't be bothered with either…

4. SignPainterGuy on May 25th, 2012 2:00 pm

A $Mil / year of sentence sounds like a pretty good "fine" to us who see a $Mil as a whole lotta money, but at only 4% of what we waste on them, it`s not nearly enough. I`m with everyone here and Rick Perry, we should cut them off entirely.

We pay Pakistan all this money so they will help us fight terrorism, keep their nuclear weapons out of the hands of terrorists or other rogue nations; but this conviction of the man who helped ID Bin Laden is just another in a long line of proof that we aren`t getting what we`ve been paying for.

5. Marshall_Will on May 25th, 2012 2:09 pm

SPG, I've long suspected this whole matter was a ruse. "We need the Paki's cooperation to support operations in the area!"

BUNK

Having worked in Logistics virtually every nut, bolt and mobile mess tent -within- the U.S is transported by AIR. Sure, heavy rolling stock like dozers etc. require RO-RO ( Roll On/Roll Off ) but major infrstructure investment items like that generally don't come 'back'.

If you want to HAND a borderline terrorist state $$$'s, then FINE. But don't stand there and tell us it's a "logistical necessity". How many airdrops does a bil a year buy? Let 'em rot.

6. Dexter_Alarius on May 25th, 2012 3:41 pm

"With friends like this…"
    Cut them off. Every penny.
    If a nuclear device goes off in America, Tehran is vaporized immediately.
    If analysis shows the device came from Pakistan, Karachi is next.

Oh, and it's "beaucoup".

7. Marshall_Will on May 25th, 2012 4:19 pm

"Heartbreaker: Led Zeppelin II dies"

Sorry to hear that. I'd read about this guy in the past and always thought it was a little nutty but hey, this is America baby! One of the Top 5 albums of all time, easily.

Surprisingly, for all the FM airplay the rest of the album got, my favorite was "Bring It On Home" ( and we're still bringing the house down w/ it to this day )

8. clu seatoe on May 25th, 2012 4:56 pm

His “gutsy” call turned to a coward’s call when it came to not saving the doctor. I have no doubt that he knew where the intel came from. I have never met the guy and I don’t know the guy but his antics before the camera and the way he handles himself makes me believe this is most typically Zero.

If she hasn’t already, his wife will be the brunt of this type of thing eventually and I dare say even the kids. He can’t do otherwise.

9. clu seatoe on May 25th, 2012 5:07 pm

SPG,

I think that with Pakistan we are getting exactly what we ask for. Karzai gave us OBL and Zero traded the Doc and the intel path that leads to him. Karzai had to give the islamist dogs a bone to stay in power and not get shot. That bone turned out to be the Doc.

10. clu seatoe on May 25th, 2012 5:48 pm

On the surface Perry’s comments might sound like a good idea but several things come to mind. One is that if we don’t pay the extortion someone else will, i.e. Russia, China, etc. Another is that Americans tend to think that the whole world thinks the way we do about political matters.

Most of the despots around the world, including the one leading America at this time in history are in it for the enrichment of themselves through the money that hemorrhages from the American treasury and Russia and today China.

Whether America likes it or not sometimes we need to buy allies and we’re just blessed that we can.

11. Marshall_Will on May 25th, 2012 6:37 pm

Clu,

Certainly I've heard those arguments, and they're not entirely without merit! My problem comes in when DC has historically shown these to be "strategic partnerships" rather than what they truly are. Shakedowns.

And I worry about what it says to our other -true- allies? I worry about what this might look like to say the Philippines? A Nation we fought side-by-side with and have so much shared history.

With all the Yellow Appeasement going on in THIS country, I harbor no malice for those fed up with it.

12. SignPainterGuy on May 25th, 2012 7:29 pm

My my, those are some sharp creases in your "Big Boy Pants" ! ;-) Yeah, like it or not, we often have to pay, buy, even get in bed with bad guys when our greater enemies are even badder. And in a small way, I feel for Karzai; no one really likes or trusts him and he IS caught in the middle !

Everything about it is frustrating !!

13. SignPainterGuy on May 25th, 2012 7:33 pm

I should have made it clear that "we are told" that is our reason, etc., not that I actually believe it ! But being kept in the dark as we as citizens are, we have little real trustworthy info to go on; just our experience with being fed BS and who`s doing the feeding ! How do you say, "Mushrooms" ?

14. Marshall_Will on May 25th, 2012 7:49 pm

Well, at some point ( when your extortioner has thrown you under the bus multiple times ) screw it! Let the Russians have at it. Let THEM get put over the barrel for a change?

Our tolerance for appeasement wanes by the hour. Had we stronger bonds w/ India, none of this would matter.

15. clu seatoe on May 25th, 2012 8:14 pm

“…stronger bonds w/ India…?”

From a Silicon Valley perspective, somebody please stop me from going off on that one.

16. jeffythequick on May 26th, 2012 1:00 am

When President Gutsy was in the Situation Room with his NBC spy cam controlling the mission, since the armed forces fight for him, he probably thought that the good doctor has served his purpose, so he was no longer needed.

Then, after dancing in the end zone, spiking the football, and posing for his face on Mt. Rushmore (hey, what did Washington really do, anyway, right?), and signing the executive order ordaining May 2 proclaimed as Barack Obama is AWESOME! Day, he sends his minions on TV to show the world how incredibly smart he is, how he single-handedly figured out where bin Laden was, who brought him the information, and his keen analytical mind drove the mission.

Or, in other words, he and his lechers on spilled the beans, so next time, the professors of the religion of peace will kill doctors that want to do good and offer immunizations, and any other person suspected of spying for them.

Gutsy call, dude-a-rama. I'm sure your next autobiography will call it out in chapters 1-33, and in every speech you make.

17. Marshall_Will on May 26th, 2012 1:30 am

Ahem… from a 'military' perspective..!

( Well aware of the HB-1 Visa issues Clu! ) Most of my friends are techies, so yeah, I dig it. And of course they're only too happy to work for -half- of what engineers HERE make so wage supression across the board for everyone!

18. SignPainterGuy on May 26th, 2012 1:41 am

So, I take it you think Obumble thinks GWs head can easily be trimmed down and recarved into a granite likeness of Teh One and So Awesome ?

19. jeffythequick on May 26th, 2012 12:56 pm

No, I think that he thinks it can be done.

20. SignPainterGuy on May 26th, 2012 2:59 pm

S`wat I said ! My only question is, would he prefer to re-do GW, or have a new one of himself done on each side; one as he is now, and one with a plantation hat and a doober in his mouth, from the fun days !?

21. jeffythequick on May 26th, 2012 8:47 pm

Doh! Re-reading it, you're right! I think what he'd do is put footnotes on each president there about how he's better than the one that is up there, until his is done.