If Dems up for re-election keep jumping from the sinking ship like this, by the time the convention rolls around they’ll be able to hold it in my garage… not that I’d let them.

From The Hill:

Rep. Jim Matheson (D-Utah) will skip the Democratic National Convention, making him the latest in a string of conservative Democrats to take a pass on the party confab.

“I’ll be spending my time this summer and fall doing my job in Congress and visiting with and listening to people in Utah,” Matheson told The Daily. “I won’t be traveling to North Carolina.”

Matheson is running in the most heavily Republican district of any Democrat in the House — the newly drawn district would have given President Obama just 41 percent of its vote in 2008. He’s routinely broken with his party, voting against their healthcare reforms as well as climate change legislation, though he’s said he’ll vote for Obama in the fall.
[...]
He’s the seventh Democratic officeholder to say he won’t attend the convention. Others include West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin (D), Sen. Joe Manhin (D-W.Va.), and Reps. Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), Mark Critz (D-Pa.), Kathy Hochul (D-N.Y.) and Bill Owens (D-N.Y.).

At this rate, what are the odds that Obama ends up skipping Obama’s convention?

Comments

13 Responses to “7th Democrat Won’t Attend Party Convention Due to Prior Commitment to Re-Arranging Sock Drawer”

1. SignPainterGuy on June 23rd, 2012 1:05 pm

It would be just too funny if Zero DID skip his own convention, and not totally out of character, me thinks.

The Vice-Chair of the RNC was on the local talk show yesterday talking up Romney`s good campaign so far, how the RNC is "acting like conservatives". I screamed at the radio, "Acting is the problem, why don`t you BECOME conservatives ?"

She was adamant about the 7 dems not going to the convention because they weren`t nuts about being near Zero; she didn`t take the bait for the host`s jokes about prior engagements (sock drawer arrangement, root canal, dropping the kids off at the pool). Come on girl / RNC, a little humor is good for the soul ! Right Doug ?

2. clu seatoe on June 23rd, 2012 1:36 pm

Given that Zero doesn’t even speak to his own party-people around the hill, it’s very likely that many more won’t be going either. However, they may be passing through NC on the way to CA or the islands for plausible deniability.

They may even have one of their people register them for further plausibility.

At least they can say they went to NC and let the hearer infer even if they were not at the convention and that way they can charge the travel to the taxpayer.

3. SignPainterGuy on June 23rd, 2012 2:37 pm

You HAVE been paying attention ! The Vacationer / Partier-in-Chief has that trick down to a junque science !

4. Marshall_Will on June 23rd, 2012 4:01 pm

Junque` Sighience!

Personally, I'd LOVE to hang out in Doug's garage. Now that the Indians put the ChiSox in 2nd, Tigers in 3rd, we'd have lots to not talk about? What with my homemade champagne and "porch crawlers" you can relax, the cops won't be here for another ten minutes!

Then ask yourself WHY these Dims feel compelled to even MAKE an announcement!? Can't speak for you guys but when I'm invited to a party, I don't have my press sec. do a release stating I won't in fact be in attendance?

Have I been doing no-shows wrong all these years?

5. clu seatoe on June 23rd, 2012 4:44 pm

“Matheson is running in the most heavily Republican district of any Democrat in the House — the newly drawn district would have given President Obama just 41 percent of its vote in 2008. He's routinely broken with his party, voting against their healthcare reforms as well as climate change legislation….

“Matheson is facing a tough reelection race in a district that is two thirds new to him against Mia Love, the (unnecessary racist inclusion) mayor of a small Utah town who many national GOP operatives predict is a rising star.

He’s like the third-grader in the back of the class calling out to the teacher to notice him as he puts the book back on the shelf and looking for that all-important ‘atta-boy.

6. ChapBix on June 23rd, 2012 5:22 pm

Why should they be charging travel expenses to the DNC convention to the taxpayers? Let their individual campaigns or the DNC pay for expenses to their convention.

7. SignPainterGuy on June 23rd, 2012 8:56 pm

It`s the difference between spending "their" other-people`s money and "everybody else`s" other-people`s money ! Save "their`s" for tv and radio ads and other vote buying !

8. conservativechick757 on June 23rd, 2012 10:42 pm

just in case any of the Dims change their minds at the last minute, there's gonna be a conservative event to counter the convention called "Rock the Red" so they can always duck in there and still charge the trip to the taxpayers

9. jeffythequick on June 24th, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks for the info, ConservativeChick757!

10. Justsomebody on June 24th, 2012 10:22 am

Given the fact that Obama told all of the Dems he would't be "sharing"_any donation $$$, I expect more of them to be rearranging sock drawers_or whatever. Share and share alike? The greed is strong with this one…..

11. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 1:26 am

Man! I had my kids' birthday presents donated to the Obama Campaign and they won't pay for security in Durham, NH.

I'm going to tell the kids to demand at least $100,000 in debt in their name instead. Maybe the President can deliver on that instead.

(do I really have to put /sarc here?)

12. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 1:28 am

I though the President's mantra wasn't share and share alike, it was:

What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine. If you disagree, we'll have a beer summit.

13. SignPainterGuy on June 25th, 2012 3:59 am

Like …. the kids won`t have that $100G in debt anyway. The Presentdunce is delivering in spades.