I sure am glad that earlier this year President Obama pledged $800 million in US aid to help out the “Arab Spring” countries — Egypt in particular. What direction is that headed?

The Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohammed Morsi has officially won Egypt’s presidential election and will be the country’s next president, the electoral commission has announced.

Morsi picked up 13.2 million votes out of just over 26 million, giving him about 51 per cent of the vote. His competitor, Ahmed Shafiq, the final prime minister under Hosni Mubarak, received 12.3 million. More than 800,000 ballots were invalidated.

Farouq Sultan, the head of the election commission, delivered a long speech before announcing the results in which he defended the body’s “independence and integrity” amidst what he called meddling by unnamed political factions.

The two candidates filed 456 complaints about the electoral process, Sultan said, most of them allegations of either forgery or Christian voters being blocked from polling stations in Upper Egypt. The vast majority of those complaints were dismissed.

Look what the cleric introducing Egypt’s new president said. Also, feminists should be thrilled because this is obviously ushering in a new era of women’s rights in Egypt. And I take it “Allahu Akbar” means “we welcome democracy”… right?

Just last week Joe Biden called the Arab Spring a “democratic movement.” Nice timing there, Plugs.

Obama’s message of congratulations to Morsi and claim that this is a great victory for freedom and democracy in 3… 2… 1…

I’m reading some opinions saying that MB critics should chill out over this and look at the good news: Egypt just experienced a free election. I’ll put it this way: The country’s odds of ever experiencing another one just dropped dramatically.

Update: Gee, that was fast:

White House spokesman Jay Carney issued the following statement in response to the Egyptian presidential election:
A baby Egyptian protesting the government.png

“The United States congratulates Dr. Mohamed Morsi on his victory in Egypt’s Presidential election, and we congratulate the Egyptian people for this milestone in their transition to democracy.

Comments

25 Responses to “So How’s That ‘Arab Spring’ Spread of Freedom and Democracy Thing Working Out?”

1. Joe Redfield on June 24th, 2012 2:02 pm

I hope they treasure the memory of voting, as they may not do it again soon. John Bolton on democratic prospects under Islamic fundamentalism: "One man, one vote, one time."

2. btims on June 24th, 2012 2:59 pm

Ominous news……….so tell me, why have we increased Mooooslim immigration into the USA since 9/11?

3. Patti on June 24th, 2012 5:53 pm

"So How’s That ‘Arab Spring’ Spread of Freedom and Democracy Thing Working Out?"

Egyptian beats pregnant wife to death for not voting for Mursi

Now that I think about it….this^^ may happen here, to anyone who votes FOR Choombama.

Just a thought.

In other news, Mooch is off to London !

It’s not clear why the United States needs to send a delegation to the Olympic games, but nevertheless, Michelle has decided she will bear the burden. The trip is also ostensibly an opportunity for her to promote her “Let’s Move” kids’ fat reduction program, though it’s hard to imagine this will take up a lot of her time.

4. SignPainterGuy on June 24th, 2012 7:59 pm

I get a kick out of the way Weasel Zippers refers to Moochelle as, "The Under-Exposed First Lady" !

I have a feeling if / when Zero finally comes out and admits to being muslim and begins to publicly practice islam, "Mean"chelle is going to take on a whole new "mean"ing ! She ain`t gonna want to be subdued in her de"Mean"or and actions AT ALL or cover her face, etc., etc. !

5. Granny55 on June 24th, 2012 8:42 pm

How long before Egypt hits Jewish friends? Headlines in MSM – new soap show will be "As The World Burns" – starring Oblama/Ozero/The Zun – blaming the Bush adminstration, ATM's and kiosks And the MSM giving high fives for their victory.

Don't forget to direct your "event donations" to teh one.

6. jeffythequick on June 24th, 2012 8:50 pm

For my son's 3rd birthday party gift, I sent Obama all of his old pacifiers.

Maybe I should find his old diapers too to send to him. Michelle can use them in her garden.

7. SignPainterGuy on June 25th, 2012 1:18 am

Update: (Poppin`) Jay Carney: "….. transition to democracy."

Yep, this fits my definition of democracy; the loudest, best funded, most powerful voice gets its way.

8. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 1:32 am

…or like a true Democracy, Three wolves and two sheep voting on what to eat for dinner.

But to be nice to the Islamists (the religion of peace, if there ever was one…) two men and one woman deciding on who to accost and forcefully have spousal relations with against her (or his, depending on who loses the vote) will. After all, she needs more than two witnesses, doesn't she?

9. SignPainterGuy on June 25th, 2012 4:19 am

Yes, in some cases FOUR ! I honestly believe that rape victims are murdered to eliminate the risk of rape charges.

10. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 10:53 am

I was on my work computer and really didn't want to look this up, but you're right, SPG: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/002-rape_

But wait! There's more! According to that site, that whole rule came about when one of Mohammed's wives (his favorite) was accused of adultery, and there were three witnesses against her, and the four witness requirement was established.

It's a good thing she wasn't doing it at midfield in the LA Coliseum during a Raiders…err…USC game; then the rule would be there must be at least 100,001 witnesses. (For the case of the Raiders game, there'd have to be 51 witnesses, and 48 would have to be cheering for the other team.)

11. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 10:58 am

Doug, on the Huntsman link up there on the left (http://t.co/nzCacC46) why is it that people consider Mormons so conservative, when the two that were put out there were the furthest to the left in the Republican Party?

As a side note… last night, I saw some guy putting up campaign signs, and it turns out he was running for Congress. A guy, born in Nepal, glad to be an American wanted to be a Congressman. Really nice, but unfortunately, a Democrat, and didn't have a clue what Article I, Section 8 was all about. Oh well…

12. Truesoldier__ on June 25th, 2012 12:21 pm

I see the MB Pres is saying that he will honor the treaty with Israel, but only if there are changes to it. Why do I have a feeling that he wants compromises in the fashion that the Dems always want……You give us something and we take it from you.

13. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 12:25 pm

I tried that with Mrs. thequick:

I'll honor our marital agreement if you let me have a couple of 20 year old girlfriends, and you keep cleaning the house and raising the kids, making my lunch, and other stuff.

It was a short negotiating session, and I'll be home at 4:15, honey, and you can use that "find my iPhone" app to track me, ok, honey? ;)

14. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 12:59 pm

Bad news for DWS: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/is-the-dnc-finall

But the good news is that bad news for her is good news for us! Maybe if she doesn't get re-elected, she can get a gig at CurrenTV with Joy!

15. Truesoldier__ on June 25th, 2012 1:49 pm

Maybe they are just preping an opening for Obama….

16. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 1:52 pm

I thought he was going to The View…

17. Truesoldier__ on June 25th, 2012 2:45 pm

The one sharing the stage with other people…..what are you smoking?

18. jeffythequick on June 25th, 2012 2:53 pm

He'll share the stage with a bunch of people fawning over him. He's replacing Ms. Hasselback. It'll be like one of his press conferences:

Mr. Jones, your question…

Mr. President, how can you be more awesome?

Mr. Jones, that wasn't your question, you want to try again?

Mr. President, I'm sorry, I meant to say, In terms of awesomeness, you excel above all others. Have you thought about making that Executive Order to have all children have the middle name "Barack", retroactive to Year 1 AO?

Mr. Jones, that's more like it. heh heh… For the hate-filled Republicans that are still in the dark, that's 1961 in the old Eurocentric calendar.

19. Monday Ketch-Up: Victory For Aaron Walker in Maryland! « Nice Deb on June 25th, 2012 2:56 pm

[...] Powers That Be: So How’s That ‘Arab Spring’ Spread of Freedom and Democracy Thing Working Out?: I sure am glad that earlier this year President Obama pledged $800 million in US aid to help out [...]

20. SignPainterGuy on June 25th, 2012 4:05 pm

As MM would say, "Snort Worthy" ! So glad I was born pre-`61 !

21. SignPainterGuy on June 25th, 2012 4:12 pm

I`ll try to get you the link from "Zilla of the Resistance". She did numerous posts on the teachings of Mohammed and islam / the koran, some vids, some pdfs. One in particular, "The Perfect Man", is especially stomach churning. Written supposedly by Mo himself, it describes pedophilia, animalia, wives, strangers in the home (muslim), wife beating, etc. Mo was "one sick puppy" !

22. ChapBix on June 25th, 2012 8:51 pm

"It’s not clear why the United States needs to send a delegation to the Olympic games, but nevertheless, Michelle has decided she will bear the burden."

Moochelle may be bearing the burden but it will be the taxpayers paying the cost.

23. ChapBix on June 25th, 2012 8:52 pm

"Maybe I should find his old diapers too to send to him."

Sounds like the Bamster may need them more urgently upon their arrival. than Moochelle in her garden.

24. ChapBix on June 25th, 2012 8:56 pm

… and give nothing in return.

25. Monday Ketch-Up: Victory For Aaron Walker in Maryland! | FavStocks on June 26th, 2012 5:22 am