I used to know a guy who owned a miniature golf course. He didn’t make much money at it (especially considering in Michigan it could only be open a few months a year), but he maintained the business for many years on a slim margin. Not unlike the latest swimming pool regulations that have had public pool owners saying it’ll be cheaper for them to close the pool than to upgrade to meet new regs, other businesses operating on a slim margin will find it more economically feasible to just close up shop rather than spend money they’ll never be able to recover to satisfy federal regs.

The latest victim is miniature golf courses:

Although the Justice Department has extended the deadline for America’s hotels to comply with regulations regarding handicap access to swimming pools, new Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines are already being applied at miniature golf courses, driving ranges, amusement parks, shooting ranges and saunas.

Among the provisions in the “Revised ADA Standards for Accessible Design,” which went into effect on March 15, is one requiring businesses to allow miniature horses on their premises as guide animals for the disabled. Another limits the height of slopes on miniature golf holes.
[...]
The 2010 ADA standards for Accessible Design require that at least 50 percent of golf holes on miniature golf courses be “accessible” – with a ground space that is “48 inches minimum by 60 inches minimum with slopes not steeper than 1:48 at the start of play.”

So, yet another sector of business is on the way to being regulated to death.

Next up on the bureaucrat agenda, making mini golf holes less difficult so they don’t damage the self esteem of players:

Comments

18 Responses to “Latest Government Regulation Gang-Bang Victims: Miniature Golf Course Owners”

1. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 5:29 pm

What we need is minigovernment. The bloated beast we have isn't anywhere near being profitable, and its usefulness is highly overrated.

2. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 6:36 pm

I found Waldo!

Seriously, is this from Mad Magazine? For years it was my dream to own a drive-in movie. Even today, yeah I know. It's a family activity and Progs can't be havin' that!

3. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes it was a family activity. Do you have any idea how many families were begun in the back seat at the drive-in theater?

4. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 6:43 pm

Unable to comment on the Ted Kennedy thread. Why does this happen?

5. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 7:06 pm

All part of the FUN I say?

( You'll recall the first feature was at least PG-13? ) People say the VCR killed the drive-in, I say it was MADD. When you could no longer pop a top and enjoy the show without risking serious jail time, what's the point?

More to Doug's point, I was friends w/ the *family* that ran the Woodburn, OR drive-in for years. We brought the whole neighborhood so I could basically get away with anything. They explained, the margins were paper thin and when new technology ( sound surround etc. ) came out, they could barely afford to get the POPCORN machine fixed.

6. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 7:07 pm

Teddy, back from the grave HAUNTING us!

7. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm sure he wouldn't like what I had to say about him.

8. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 7:49 pm

Nor I sir.

Expect to see mini-golf closing up shop pretty much from coast-to-coast. In the link they also had new reg's for saunas and get this, shooting ranges!

I IMPLORE all owners of these types of establishments to openly DEFY these ridiculous rulings and continue on as if nothing happened! Do NOT give up the faith. Do NOT give in to these cs'ers.

Tough it out for the summer and deal with the heat. We'll have this assclown out before you can say Fore! ( Or is that 2 and 3/8ths on the mini course? ) Let's ALL go mini-golfing with our NoBama t-shirts!

9. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 7:58 pm

There's a mini-golf course near here I've been meaning to try. I guess I'd better do it while I still can.

I've never had any desire to play regular golf on a full-size course, but I've always loved mini-golf.

10. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 8:01 pm

Why is my `puter different ? After two page refreshes, it worked fine for me.

11. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 8:04 pm

I can refresh till the sun goes down and it still won't take my comments. It's frustrating as hell, but it seems once a thread locks me out there's no fixing it.

12. SignPainterGuy on June 28th, 2012 8:32 pm

I assume you tried re-logging In ?

13. backwoodsconsr on June 28th, 2012 8:35 pm

Yep. No luck. Closing my browser and getting back online didn't help either.

14. Marshall_Will on June 28th, 2012 9:14 pm

Most we have here are part of a "fun center" that has… had go-carts, arcade games, pizza, ice cream etc. They're lucky ( given our weather ) to have 2 mos. to break even and (1) to see if there'll be enough a profit to re-open next year.

Greedy f@cking CAPITALISTS..!

Enchanted Forest in South Salem, Oregon was started by one man, a wheel barrow and a dream. Obviously not the type of thing we need tolerate in America! Progs often say, If it wasn't for us "do-gooders" this place would look just like Mexico City or Manila!?

Well, 4 years of Bammie and those are starting to look.pretty.good about now.

15. Coleen on September 10th, 2012 3:31 am

This is a harsh sign of the times. These so called new standards are quite expensive to conform with. mill pond golf course charge more now as they are forced to do so.

16. Sam O. on September 27th, 2012 8:15 am

It is not hard to install glass pool fencing in Perth. They should try that instead of ignoring those people.

17. golf real estate on December 13th, 2012 4:29 am

Miniature golf course owners is a good issue for discussing at all! Just a quick note to tell you that I have a passion for the topic "Golf" at hand. Thanks the head up and keep posting like this…………

18. icon brickell rental on June 18th, 2014 6:08 pm